Barahona Fishermen Find Unique Chinese Statue

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
[computer translated - please note the original article says one million pesos, not dollars. Click link at bottom to see photo of the statue]

Barahona fishermen find a statue of Princess Jade China

El Nuevo Diario, city BARAHONA Fishermen found a statue of Asian origin which presumably is one of 12 statues of Princess Jade of China, disappeared in the wake of the tsunami that struck the nation in 2008-2009.

The statue was found in coastal areas of Barahona, in a place called the little beach, near the pier of the city and reportedly, offered to buy Chinese visitors to the tune of one million pesos.

Fishermen who asked their names omitted for security reasons said they were fishing at sea shore when they saw the strange figure that turns lights on when the nights and decided to take it.

This relic representing Chinese culture is carved in wood and with many stones is presumed diamond and most amazement as the Chinese who visited the statue is made of the same size jade, Princess China.

Sources said the Chinese offered a million dollars for the statue, seeing paid him reverence with their traditional greeting of respect to the image, the same ended with two tears on his face.

Asian expressed that architecture was lost when the earthquake in China.

BY EDGAR HEREDIA

Pescadores encuentran en Barahona una estatua de la princesa Jade de China

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
[computer translated - please note the original article says one million pesos, not dollars. Click link at bottom to see photo of the statue]

Barahona fishermen find a statue of Princess Jade China

El Nuevo Diario, city BARAHONA Fishermen found a statue of Asian origin which presumably is one of 12 statues of Princess Jade of China, disappeared in the wake of the tsunami that struck the nation in 2008-2009.

The statue was found in coastal areas of Barahona, in a place called the little beach, near the pier of the city and reportedly, offered to buy Chinese visitors to the tune of one million pesos.

Fishermen who asked their names omitted for security reasons said they were fishing at sea shore when they saw the strange figure that turns lights on when the nights and decided to take it.

This relic representing Chinese culture is carved in wood and with many stones is presumed diamond and most amazement as the Chinese who visited the statue is made of the same size jade, Princess China.

Sources said the Chinese offered a million dollars for the statue, seeing paid him reverence with their traditional greeting of respect to the image, the same ended with two tears on his face.

Asian expressed that architecture was lost when the earthquake in China.

BY EDGAR HEREDIA

Pescadores encuentran en Barahona una estatua de la princesa Jade de China

i smell hoax.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I vendor on that God Forsaken gauntlet of a Hill one must taverse before finally making it to safe sand on Sosua Beach tried to sell me that very same wooden with sparkling Diamonds statue for 800 Pesos, but I declined as he refused to properly Haggle with me..

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I vendor on that God Forsaken gauntlet of a Hill one must taverse before finally making it to safe sand on Sosua Beach tried to sell me that very same wooden with sparkling Diamonds statue for 800 Pesos, but I declined as he refused to properly Haggle with me..

Is this true?

Aug 6, 2006
One would think that such an item would end up swirling around in the Great Central Pacific Garbage Patch.

I thing the route around Africa would be more likely than the Panama Canal or Cape Horn.

Even more likely would be it fell off someone's yacht who picked it up earlier.

Aug 6, 2006
If the stature actually exists, then it is not a typical fisherman's tale.
It got to Barahona somehow.

The usual female statue one finds in China is the character known as the Queen of Heaven, but it is usually a statue
of a standing woman in a classic pose.

Last edited:

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Are you single ? because you sound like my type of gal... i want to show you my etchings...

hqdefault.jpg

jveloz

Jun 25, 2015
Seriously DR1? This is a hoax.
The article is full of grammatical errors in Spanish.
In China there was no tsunami in 2008, it was an earthquake far from the sea.
2008-2009? Earthquakes don't last a year.
Tsunami is a Japanese word, not Chinese.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Seriously DR1? This is a hoax.
The article is full of grammatical errors in Spanish.
In China there was no tsunami in 2008, it was an earthquake far from the sea.
2008-2009? Earthquakes don't last a year.
Tsunami is a Japanese word, not Chinese.

Are you a hoax?

Aug 6, 2006
Well, some Barahona fishermen found this thing.

How they happened to find it seems to be a mystery.

It looks remarkably well preserved for something that floated thousands of miles in a turbulent ocean.

Aug 6, 2006
OPINION: La verdad sobre la estatua "Princesa de Jade" encontrada por pescadores de Barahona en alta mar.

POR JOSE SANTANA
(Chino Video)

Hicimos una visita a la residencia del pescador donde se encuentra la estatua tallada en madera encontrada a 20 millas del frente marino de Barahona y llamada erroneamente "Princesa de Jade". Resulta que no se trata de una estatua con valor historico ya que esta elaborada con herramientas y adornos modernos como pueden evidenciar en fotos que publicamos.

Pueden observarse las huellas del corte de sierra el?ctrica en la base o un costado de la estatua y decorada con diminutos pedazos de espejo y objetos de fantas?as imitando piedras preciosas. Sin embargo, se trata de una obra muy bien tallada por fino artezano, como pudimos comprobar al examinar personalmente dicha estatua.

Resulta que no se trata de una princesa, sino de Buda, mas bien imitacion o r?plica de una de las dos estatuas que se encuentran en El Templo del Buda de Jade, un templo budista de la ciudad de Shangh?i en China. Estas estatuas fueron tallada en Jade, que es una piedra sagrada para los chinos y en epoca precolombinas lleg? tener mas valor que el oro.

Esta importante obra tallada en madera y hallada por los pescadores resulta ser Buda en posici?n recostada que "Simboliza la muerte de Buda". Los asi?ticos creyentes del Budismo que hicieron la visita a casa del pescador hacen reverencia como un gesto de respecto ante esta impresionante obra artesanal, llagada a nuestras aguas tal vez desde Jap?n uno de los paises mas creyentes o adeptos de esta religi?n, el cual es sometido a constantes terremotos y Tsunamis.

===========================================
Ecos del Sur reported the above:

It is not a Jade Princess, it is not even female, and it is not ancient. It is a wooden copy of a Jade statue in Shanghai, in a pose associated with the death of Buddha.

There is no word of how it came to be where the fishermen found it.