Are Dominican passports for naturalized Expats necessary?

Carabum

May 7, 2015
This is a question for the residency abogados.

Do Expats who become naturalized Dominican citizens have to also obtain a Dominican passport in-order to leave and reenter the DR, or could they still use the passports they were using prior to naturalization (their foreign passports) without ever applying for a Dominican passport ?

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Use the original one

You don't have to get a DR passport, just use your original one and Cedula, I do use a DR one for leaving and coming back so my German one doesn't get filled with stamps so fast.

This is a question for the residency abogados.

Do Expats who become naturalized Dominican citizens have to also obtain a Dominican passport in-order to leave and reenter the DR, or could they still use the passports they were using prior to naturalization (their foreign passports) without ever applying for a Dominican passport ?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
webmacon is correct. But you are talking about citizenship & not the naturalization process for residency right?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Interesting question in that I wonder when I get a Dominican passport if I want to go anywhere would I need a visa or could I use an expired British passport to show I was British as well and therefore did not need a visa? Or are you only British if your passport is current?

Matilda

Carabum

May 7, 2015
Ya, let's say I was already a Dominican citizen long after the swearing-in ceremony.
To enter and leave the DR do you need a Dominican passport or any foreign passport will do as long as you show your Dominican cedulla when leaving and entering the DR ? (the foreign passport is not expired).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ya, let's say I was already a Dominican citizen long after the swearing-in ceremony.
To enter and leave the DR do you need a Dominican passport or any foreign passport will do as long as you show your Dominican cedulla when leaving and entering the DR ? (the foreign passport is not expired).

If you are a Dominican Citizen you can use any Passport that will get you to your destination along with your Cedula. For
entry into the DR it is the same, but you can have your DR Passport stamped instead of the other one. Also when you
leave they will stamp your DR Passport, but they want to see something that assures you get where you are going.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting question in that I wonder when I get a Dominican passport if I want to go anywhere would I need a visa or could I use an expired British passport to show I was British as well and therefore did not need a visa? Or are you only British if your passport is current?

Matilda

I am guessing that you will need to renew you British passport if you wish to travel to anywhere other than the short list of countries to which Dominicans can travel and which hardly anyone wants to visit. I base my guess on the point that an expired passport is not proof of continued citizenship.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I can't answer that for definite but my wife whose is Dominican flies on her Canadian Passport. Her Dominican one has been expired since 2012 and she is never asked for her Dominican passport and they never charge her the tourist fees.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bob, her Cdn Passport will show RD as her place of birth, most likely

IMO - any passport and a cedula will get you in/out of RD

US citizens may have multiple passports but MUST use their US one to enter USA.
Perhaps other countries are different.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Just on the cedula issue, isn't it the residency card you need to show to avoid overstay fees rather than the cedula? It used to be!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just on the cedula issue, isn't it the residency card you need to show to avoid overstay fees rather than the cedula? It used to be!

When we left in May, they insisted on seeing Mr. AE's cedula, and he's Dominican. Weren't even interested in DR passport [he uses US passport to fly]. Maybe there's been a change, or they're checking to be sure it's the new one or not expired????

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When we left in May, they insisted on seeing Mr. AE's cedula, and he's Dominican. Weren't even interested in DR passport [he uses US passport to fly]. Maybe there's been a change, or they're checking to be sure it's the new one or not expired????

I had a similar situation at PUJ. Wanted to see my Cedula. Was not carrying the new one, showed him the old one and he said OK.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

True that you show your residency card if you are a legal resident. You use your cedula if you are a naturalized citizen of the DR since you won't have a residency card in that case.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
True that you show your residency card if you are a legal resident. You use your cedula if you are a naturalized citizen of the DR since you won't have a residency card in that case.

Correct, and you need to have him look at the back where you can vote. Then he knows you are a citizen.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Correct, and you need to have him look at the back where you can vote. Then he knows you are a citizen.

If I'm not mistaken..... don't the new cedulas come in two different colors, one for citizens and one for residents??

I could be wrong, it happened once, hahahaha

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If I'm not mistaken..... don't the new cedulas come in two different colors, one for citizens and one for residents??

I could be wrong, it happened once, hahahaha

Have no idea. I am a citizen and it is the same yellow color it has always been.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
Obtaining Dominican citizenship only practical if you are presently holding citizenship which allows dual citizenship.
It is imperative to maintain citizenship of your original country. There are very few places in the world where you can travel
with a Dominican passport without obtaining a visa. Unless you are very wealthy and connected your visa application to most 1st World countries would be denied and you would join the millions of Dominicans stuck forever on this island.
You will also be warned that if you have dual citizenship your home country will no longer b able to support or help you if you get into any kind of legal problems here. In other words you will be totally in the hands of Dominican justice.