Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: driving laws in the d.r.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This country has lots of driving laws but no one really seems to care about them.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to look for videos of motoconchos. A child sitting in the back seat of a car with a seat belt is not what they worry about.

3. Likes drstock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Omg, thank you all. Crazy stuff lol

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are different rules depending on who is actually driving.
    When I'm driving, my Dominican buddy will say,for example, 'why did you stop at that light?' then think for a minute and remember that I'm a gringo and I have to stop,unlike when he is driving when the rules can be less restrictive and a flexible as a politician.

I've just fitted a dash cam. I guess that in an event it won't make a blind bit of difference to any AMET or judge but they are so cheap now that it's a question of 'Why not?'

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The first few times we where pulled over we actually had one of the cops hold our beers while the other ones searched the car for pistols and Haitians. The last couple of years they just wave us through as the car is little and has really faded paint so they look at us as not worth their while.
    I find driving in the PC area less stressful than driving anywhere in North America. You just have to be very defensive and not get POed at morons or motos. Once you accept that you will be fine.
    Can't answer your question about pot as we are not into that.
    The most valuable rule I can pass on is the bigger your vehicle the more right of way you have.
    Good luck.

*** I love DR1! ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    Changing car lanes without indication in the capital is their favorite......no one does it but it is against the driving code and I have personally been stopped 3 times for this and on two occasions had to cough up some cash in order to move on.
    You were stopped 3 times for driving while being white. Changing lanes without indication... just another type of money extortion, probably you look like a tourist. I never use indication here and I was never stopped for that.

In SD you can be stopped by AMET for:
    - red light
    - no seat belt
    - cell phone while driving
    - left turn where prohibited
    - U-turn where prohibited
    - driving one-way street in opposite direction
    - no lights at night (or if one of your headlights is not working)
    - if you don't have a license plate or marbete

If you are stopped by PN motorcycle patrol and they start to bullshlt you about any traffic violation, that's just an attempt of extortion. Only AMET can give you a ticket.

*** I love DR1! ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    while the other ones searched the car for pistols and Haitians
    I never let them search the car, even if they want. I also never give them my gun... I can show the drivers license and/or the gun permit, but if they want to see the gun to compare the numbers, or search the car, I say let's drive to Palacio de Policia or at least to the police station next to my house, and do it there, you guys just follow me... and you know, they never want to do it

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff. Thank you all.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have another question if your don't mind. When i first arrive, can i drive temp. With my n.y. license? If i have to be a passenger until i get my license, are there any passenger laws i need to know about? How do I get my license? Is it like the u.s. ? Written test, road test? I'll need to learn the rules of the road. ...don't want to get pulled over.

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

You will not be able to get a DR driver's license until your residency is complete and you are in possession of a cedula.

1) You pay for and get a criminal record check from the local police
    2) You Pay for and take a computer displayed test (in Spanish). If you pass you get a learners permit.
    3) At least 45 days after your learners permit is issued you return, pay for and take a practical road test.
    4) If successful, your DR license is issued on the spot.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast