driving laws in the d.r.

sightseeing

Jun 19, 2015
I've been watching some utube videos and I watched 2 couples drinking while touring around. The front passenger had a child on his lap.. later on in the video, I also saw some pot smoking (the child wasn't present for that)
My 1st question....are the any laws for safety while driving? Shouldn't that child be in the back, in a car seat ? 2. Are there any laws against drinking and driving ? 3. Any laws against smoking pot ? I'm not saying they don't break laws here, i just thought being they posted all of this, maybe none of it is illegal ???

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I try to use those plastic cups in my rental
1)- so I can share my cold Presidente while im driving..
and
2)- drinking straight from the bottle is just bad form...
also That little plastic cup of Beer just makes me a better driver I find, as I do not want to spill a single Drop...

as they say when in Rome....

cops wont even give u a second look for drinking a beer while driving .. as long as you are not visibly drunk ,swerving etc..
It does take some getting used to at first , coming from such strict no drinking laws back home..

Only one other Country afaik is more OPEN about having a little drink while on the road
.. I think Jamaica lets you literally drive while openly drinking your Red Stripe , with absolutely no laws against it.

photo2u

Jun 23, 2015
I've been watching some utube videos and I watched 2 couples drinking while touring around. The front passenger had a child on his lap.. later on in the video, I also saw some pot smoking (the child wasn't present for that)
My 1st question....are the any laws for safety while driving? Shouldn't that child be in the back, in a car seat ? 2. Are there any laws against drinking and driving ? 3. Any laws against smoking pot ? I'm not saying they don't break laws here, i just thought being they posted all of this, maybe none of it is illegal ???

Stay in your country and obey the laws. When you are visiting other countries, who are you to put your morality for other to judge.

photo2u

Jun 23, 2015

I just wonder about the old timers always trying to tell people what to do. To top it off, they also try this crap outside their own country.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I just wonder about the old timers always trying to tell people what to do. To top it off, they also try this crap outside their own country.

I don't see anyone trying to tell anyone anything. Quite the oposite infact, the OP is asking a question. Trying what crap? People entitled to have opinion, disagree, speak thier mind and anything else they want to do, most of all, ask questions about a place they may be considering visiting, or do not know about where they live.
Go back to bed n sleep it off!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

The driving laws stand pretty much as you would expect anywhere, including some strange ones. The likes of drivers of motorcycles must wear helmets, but passengers not. Pregnant woman are not supposed yo travel in the front seats of cars. There were dome real weird ones I knew of years ago but can't remember ghem right now.
But anyway, yes Drink driving is illegal, so is smoking pot, so is kids travelling in the front seat, but like every other law in DR they are not enforced. There are drive through alcohol services in DR, every carwash is also a drinking hole, you'll never get any hassle for drink driving. You'd be mad to carry or openly use drugs of any sort, unless with a member of police or Amet go cover you. And I've never allowed my daughter to travel eithout sest belt booster seat and in the back so I have no first hand experience on this. But its pretty normal to see kids in the front, vlimbinv on the dash etc do.......................

DR has the laws that any furst world country has, they just don't enforce them unless there's a few quid in it for them.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I would agree with HUG, but add that it is advisable for expats to follow the driving laws because we will be the first ones stopped by the NP or AMET if they perceive there is an opportunity to cite a violation of those laws. Changing car lanes without indication in the capital is their favorite......no one does it but it is against the driving code and I have personally been stopped 3 times for this and on two occasions had to cough up some cash in order to move on. Wish I had obscure windscreens (which is illegal but very common) and an a/c that works so they can't see I'm Caucasian.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I would agree with HUG, but add that it is advisable for expats to follow the driving laws because we will be the first ones stopped by the NP or AMET if they perceive there is an opportunity to cite a violation of those laws. Changing car lanes without indication in the capital is their favorite......no one does it but it is against the driving code and I have personally been stopped 3 times for this and on two occasions had to cough up some cash in order to move on. Wish I had obscure windscreens (which is illegal but very common) and an a/c that works so they can't see I'm Caucasian.

That's something new for me, changing lane without indication. I can't recall even driving in a specified lane, anywhere. Closest I get to that is driving on the correct side of road, sometimes.:nervous:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Part of the charm of living here is the daily uncertainty of it all. No one can be sure what traffic laws will be enforced on any given day. What seems to be a priority on Tuesday is often different on Thursday. As a foreigner, you are more likely to be asked politely to pull over more often than a local. If you choose to pull over to find out why, that's your decision.

When you first get here and start driving, you will be amazed that there isn't more carnage on the roads. Every time you go out, you'll see some driver do something that you never considered possible. Your head will ache as if you just finished the Mensa exam. At home, we often drive on autopilot quite successfully. Here, autopilot can be deadly.

Defensive driving skills are more important than knowing the basics of how to drive. Expect the unexpected all the time. Don't expect anyone to know or follow any rules ever. Resist the temptation to emulate our local speed racers.

Driving in the dark is a completely different nightmare.

There are rules, but most seem not to know what they are, think they don't apply to them, will get around to applying for a driver's license sometime before they turn 75 years of age.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This country has lots of driving laws but no one really seems to care about them.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You need to look for videos of motoconchos. A child sitting in the back seat of a car with a seat belt is not what they worry about. :bunny::bunny:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
There are different rules depending on who is actually driving.
When I'm driving, my Dominican buddy will say,for example, 'why did you stop at that light?' then think for a minute and remember that I'm a gringo and I have to stop,unlike when he is driving when the rules can be less restrictive and a flexible as a politician.

I've just fitted a dash cam. I guess that in an event it won't make a blind bit of difference to any AMET or judge but they are so cheap now that it's a question of 'Why not?'

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The first few times we where pulled over we actually had one of the cops hold our beers while the other ones searched the car for pistols and Haitians. The last couple of years they just wave us through as the car is little and has really faded paint so they look at us as not worth their while.
I find driving in the PC area less stressful than driving anywhere in North America. You just have to be very defensive and not get POed at morons or motos. Once you accept that you will be fine.
Can't answer your question about pot as we are not into that.
The most valuable rule I can pass on is the bigger your vehicle the more right of way you have.
Good luck.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Changing car lanes without indication in the capital is their favorite......no one does it but it is against the driving code and I have personally been stopped 3 times for this and on two occasions had to cough up some cash in order to move on.
You were stopped 3 times for driving while being white. Changing lanes without indication... just another type of money extortion, probably you look like a tourist. I never use indication here and I was never stopped for that.

In SD you can be stopped by AMET for:
- red light
- no seat belt
- cell phone while driving
- left turn where prohibited
- U-turn where prohibited
- driving one-way street in opposite direction
- no lights at night (or if one of your headlights is not working)
- if you don't have a license plate or marbete

If you are stopped by PN motorcycle patrol and they start to bullshlt you about any traffic violation, that's just an attempt of extortion. Only AMET can give you a ticket.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
while the other ones searched the car for pistols and Haitians
I never let them search the car, even if they want. I also never give them my gun... I can show the drivers license and/or the gun permit, but if they want to see the gun to compare the numbers, or search the car, I say let's drive to Palacio de Policia or at least to the police station next to my house, and do it there, you guys just follow me... and you know, they never want to do it :)

sightseeing

Jun 19, 2015
I have another question if your don't mind. When i first arrive, can i drive temp. With my n.y. license? If i have to be a passenger until i get my license, are there any passenger laws i need to know about? How do I get my license? Is it like the u.s. ? Written test, road test? I'll need to learn the rules of the road. ...don't want to get pulled over.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You will not be able to get a DR driver's license until your residency is complete and you are in possession of a cedula.

1) You pay for and get a criminal record check from the local police
2) You Pay for and take a computer displayed test (in Spanish). If you pass you get a learners permit.
3) At least 45 days after your learners permit is issued you return, pay for and take a practical road test.
4) If successful, your DR license is issued on the spot.