Can Anyone Translate These Haitian Caricatures?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And also explain the context, thanks in advance.

All caricatures presented here were published in Haitian newspapers and other Haitian media, but I don't understand kreyol.

tito_8_h.gif

caricature_union_fait_la_forcewww.jpg

caricature_secheresse_WEB.jpg

caricature_mandat_darret_aristide_PNH.jpg

2313733199.jpg

I might add a few more caricatures published in Haitian media if they catch my interest.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
pic_952.jpg

The following one is already in English because its actually a Jamaican caricature published in one of their newspapers. I thought its interesting because it deals with illegal Haitian migration to that island. A topic not discussed much on DR1, not even in this section focused on Haitians and Haiti.

ed_cartoon_sun_31_jan_w452.jpg

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
sorta -- the guy writing is saying Haitian election registrations start on Tuesday

The other guy is saying - Are we going to abide by that?

And the one with the opposition sign on his front says- "let me think about it"

(Currently there are something like 57 Presidential candidates)

google has a Haitian kreyole translator.// which --it calls "criollo" natch..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
waiting for the real Haitian -- I mostly just speak French but get some of it... there are others, I am sure who get more..

but the one on with the drought -- the woman is saying that the people have fallen from hunger and great thirst for water.. and the politician is saying --We are busy - after the election, we will arrange everything.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think another point is these cartoon characters don't look much different that the ones that people say are racist because of their portrayal of Haitians.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Can you imagine the fits of apoplexy these cartoons would create on college campuses in the U.S.?

All of the publications would be required to have plastic wrapping, held behind the counter with a trigger warning emblazoned.

Oh the boycotts that would ensue.

Somewhere recently on the internet I read of Trigger Warning as a drag name. Still makes me laugh.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Nor is the emigration of Jamaicans throughout Latin America as cheap labor often discussed. They were the "Haitian labor supply" to panama for the building of the canal. Within panama people use the term Afro-antillian to distinguish persons of African descent who are Panamanian. Other islands supplied labor too, so broadly the multi generation black Panamanians doesn't mean Jamaican. Broadly speaking, it is used the way Brits use West Indian which implies some/majority African ancestry.

Language changes so quickly these days. Cisgender was just accepted into the Oxford English Dictionary.

pic_952.jpg

The following one is already in English because its actually a Jamaican caricature published in one of their newspapers. I thought its interesting because it deals with illegal Haitian migration to that island. A topic not discussed much on DR1, not even in this section focused on Haitians and Haiti.

ed_cartoon_sun_31_jan_w452.jpg

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
http://s18.postimg.org/jlz78og2x/caricature_mandat_darret_aristide_PNH.jpg

the banner on the house

"no one can touch Aristide" (in reference to the fact that Aristide was in his house in Tabarre and surrounded and did not come out to appear before a judge-- until he decided to ..and then it was sorta a procession like Cesar enterering Rome)

the two guys

something like

"aren't you still the man? Go on in .. I will cover you.

"Why don't you go in? I will cover you"

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
http://s17.postimg.org/il1wdrr7j/caricature_union_fait_la_forcewww.jpg

fusion of political parties and political regrouping - 2015

Combined statement- the birth of a beautiful alliance

Individual -- "crazy that I should be the head of it"

Note- each caricicature probably represents a protential presidential candidate -- MMeManigat, Evans Paul, etc,,

note the one side black one side lighter which is the tradition break in the color line in Haiti between the noiriste and the mulattos...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
http://s1.postimg.org/ocl35yutr/tito_8_h.gif

can't get all of this one

signs on bottom - we ... work...and down with

one guy saying-- we did pretty well at the protest today but I am fed up ..those guys cannot keep either a compass or a timepiece. A world cup that was.

the other one says (something like ) "Brazil, man! I would rather have won the cup because we are headed there -- zero tolerance.."

context -- ok .. first Haiti is mad about soccer - the country grinds to a halt over the World cup . Also -there was supposedly a huge demonstration for Aristide which was publicized internationally but many Haitians were laughing because it was on the same day as the World Cup and Brasil had won a game and Haiti always roots for Brasil -- Also Brasil announced that they would take in xxxxx Haitian immigrants..

Haitian Migrants Turn Toward Brazil - The New Yorker

also - the belief (reality?) the political demonstrators in Haiti are often paid