Expired permanent residency, now pay the tourist card ?

Carabum

May 7, 2015
If your Permanent-Residency expires by a few months up to a year while you are abroad and you want to return to renew it, do you have to pay the $10 tourist card at the airport when arriving or will they let you in with an expired Residency without paying the Tourist card ?

On the same subject, if your Permanent Residency expires while abroad and you want to return to the DR, will you now have to buy a round trip ticket to show the Airline before boarding the plane to the DR ?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
What country are you in? There has been much discussion about airlines telling you must have round trip ticket to board plane in U.S. for DR. Sometimes they tell you this, sometimes they don't. Based on the discussion here, most of the time they don't require the round trip ticket, don't even ask. For example, last time I flew American from U.S. to DR (in April), they did not ask. Half the time with Jet Blue they ask, other half they don't.

Maybe all this has changed with new concern with residency, overstay etc. Someone who came to DR recently will be able to say how it went.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Any proof of that? They did not confiscate mine.

I know someone who had theirs taken, and I'm pretty sure that it also happened to William Webster's wife, he posted about it a week or so ago.

Maybe it's the luck of the draw at immigration if they didn't take yours.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also know someone who had their residency confiscated upon entry.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You may not be asked for a round trip... if you are - show your exoired card to the airlines , they won't check the validity (normally)

Then bury the card... they most likely will confiscate it on arrival - then its a police report and a more complicated renewal.yes, my wife had the problem and she was in process for renewing, so technically not expired... still = gone

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we couldn't get ours back - after confiscation.....

trip to Nagua, pay the police to write report.... back to SD for renewal

And remember, we were done... medical tests complete , just waiting for issuance

but you need the old one to get the new one....