whales in Saman?

Mike

Jan 5, 2002
I am curious about the whales in Bahia de Saman?. Can anyone tell me what sort of whales they are and how long they have been mating in the bay?
Anybody have any pictures?

Thanks, Mike

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Humpback whales have been coming to Samana Bay and the surrounding Caribbean probably for about millenia. They mate here and then return the following year to give birth in the shallow waters of the bay. At any given time during January, February and March about 350 whales will be in the area. Several thousand whales visit the area during the season so the population is always changing.

We have several pictures on www.Samana.Net under the Attractions section, Whales subsection and you may find more information at www.samana.org

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Whales in Samana Bay

Humpback whales from the North Atlantic winter in the waters of the Dominican Republic. They feed in the north--Massachusetts Bay to Iceland and Greenland--during the summer months, then migrate to the Dominican Republic to mate and give birth during the winter months. The most popular winter rendezvous for the humpback is Silver Bank, about 70 miles north of Puerto Plata. From there they move between several other areas, including Samana Bay, like humans do singles bars. Whales are always coming and going in Samana Bay, but there are always 200-300 in the bay during the season.

Mature humpbacks measure 40-50 ft/12-15 m and weigh 30-40 tons. Calves measure 10-15 ft/3-4.5 m at birth and weigh 1.5-2 tons. The calves drink 50 gallons of milk from the mother each day, gaining 100 lbs/45 kg daily. (The milk contains 40-60% fat, compared to human milk of 2% fat.)

The World Wildlife fund considers Samana Bay one of the best places to watch whales because of the number of whales and the ease of reaching the watching area. The season begins January 15 and generally runs through March, with mid February the time of greatest concentration of whales.

The whales have been wintering near the Dominican Republic for centuries. Drawings on the walls of the caves in Los Haitises National Parak depict spouting whales seen by the aboriginal inhabitants long before the arrival of Columbus. The log of his travels along the north coast of the DR in 1493 makes clear that he saw them, too.

Whales have been sighted in Samana Bay, and others on the way. So there is every reason to believe that a sufficient number will be in the bay by January 15 in order to begin the whale watching season on that date.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thats pretty good...

6 links to your site, give me a break!

One more post like that and I will permantly ban your link from DR1.

Your thread is starting to break...

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!!

Rob,
Please don't wait...not even the links worked...it seems that he can only make things work if he copies it from someone else...and now he wants to copy a program he recorded off the TV! I wish I was in the DR to help Andy_B track this guy down for a lesson in copyright...and I'm normally a real nice guy.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
In the USA, copyright violation is a CIVIL offense, not a criminal offense. Is it different in the DR? If not, then the police have no business in this matter.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Jim

Jim: If you don't think the police have any interest in civil litigation, ....you have been badly mislead. I know you have great knowledge of copyright laws as well, because of the business your in....I have limited partnership in US patents as well. There are plenty of matters that the police take a big interest in Civil law......at least here in Canada! And Rob, I totally agree with El Jefe.......don't wait.....this is YOUR board and YOU can do as you wish ....I realize that......but just my two cents....(when I look into my crystal ball.....I see quotes from the US law library coming to me from Jim....)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rob,

Can you seperate the items on whales from those about the abuse of privilege of one of the posters? I think keeping the two mixed, with the majority now about the latter, is a deterrent to questions there might be about whales. The string seems to have lost the emphasis implied by the title.

Ken

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: Jim

doug said:
Jim: If you don't think the police have any interest in civil litigation, ....you have been badly mislead.

The American police will not arrest somebody for allegedly copying someobody's website material and including it in their own. I think the Dominican police will arrest just about anybody if paid the right bribe.

Heck, I could not get them to arrest somebody for issuing checks with insufficient funds as payment for services. Both Michigan and Illinois police told me this was a civil matter and no arrest would be made.