The Euro in DR ? Si o No

Bobs

Jan 8, 2002
Just a simple question !
The sceptics will agree with me that it is unthinkable that any of the 300million (let me repeat that : 300 million !) citizens of the countries using the Euro would ever attempt to visit and spend money, invest in properties or industry in the DR. They have never done this before :), they'd be better off spending the same currency at home in any of the other Euro membercountries.
Well, OK, very few German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish daredevils do visit. But does that really justify even considering the foolish idea of giving the Euro the same treatment (and respect) as Uncle Sam's greenback. What do you wellversed folks think ?

Offtopic : received good news today : an old acquaintance of mine, Jesus Candelier, is to be reassigned to the traffic cops. Maybe some stringent disciplinary reforms can now be implemented in the PN..... another one of my pipedreams, I guess.
Nice move, campesino.

Bobs said:
Just a simple question !
The sceptics will agree with me that it is unthinkable that any of the 300million (let me repeat that : 300 million !) citizens of the countries using the Euro would ever attempt to visit and spend money, invest in properties or industry in the DR. They have never done this before :), they'd be better off spending the same currency at home in any of the other Euro membercountries.
Well, OK, very few German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish daredevils do visit. But does that really justify even considering the foolish idea of giving the Euro the same treatment (and respect) as Uncle Sam's greenback. What do you wellversed folks think ?

Offtopic : received good news today : an old acquaintance of mine, Jesus Candelier, is to be reassigned to the traffic cops. Maybe some stringent disciplinary reforms can now be implemented in the PN..... another one of my pipedreams, I guess.
Nice move, campesino.

My answer
unthnkable that Europeans would spend and invest in the DR?
What are Barcelo, Riu and Occidental hotels doing? Or are they not European based companies.
and
thousands visit each year not very few.

Last edited:

Carol

Jan 2, 2002
Euros in DR

Criss Colon said:
If it ain,t good enough for the gift shop at Buckingham Palace,it ain,t good enough for The Dominican Republic! Criss Colon

I agree there Criss!!

johns

Jan 7, 2002
I wonder...

How many visitors to DR come from the United states of America as compared to the United States of Europe?

Didn't I see a post somewhere that German tourists are more important than US tourists, since the Germans spend more time in DR and spend more money.

Please enlighten me!

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
johnS

I don't think any tourists would be more important than others.
What happens is that Europeans are entitled to 5 weeks vacation a year as soon as they get employed. Their income is not as high as that of the Americans, so that makes them thrifty on their vacations. They have to stretch their money.
Americans, on the contrary have less time for vacation - they have to work in a single place for at least 20 years to get 5 weeks vacation, but their income is higher, so they spend more money in a short period of time. Americans are also more selective in their destinations because they do not want to waste preciosus time. The reason they "invented" Punta Cana was to attract more Americans, since they only make about 30% of the visitors to the DR.

Pepe. :rolleyes:
Your best source of dubious information.

Last edited:

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
No germans...?

You have apparently never been to Sosua, where many of the business owners, tourists, and residents here are German.

Euro is already being posted on all the cambio shops in Sosua. The more tourists the better, and as long as they're spending "money", life is good.

marc

Rob

Jan 1, 2002
Bobs,
"300million"
NO 378 million to be correct!

Pepe,

"What happens is that Europeans are entitled to 5 weeks vacation a year as soon as they get employed."

What do you think of 40 days of holyday a year :)

"Their income is not as high as that of the Americans, so that makes them thrifty on their vacations. They have to stretch their money."

In your dreams:)

Originally posted by Criss Colon
If it ain,t good enough for the gift shop at Buckingham Palace,it ain,t good enough for The Dominican Republic! Criss Colon.

They will come around :)

Bobs
"But does that really justify even considering the foolish idea of giving the Euro the same treatment (and respect) as Uncle Sam's greenback."

You make me smile :)

Rob