Had a businessin DR sold i,t moved to USA/ want to try again!

Jun 30, 2015
I had a touristic business in the DR. I was successful, so much that I had a investor from another country wanting to buy it.
After some persuasion, I sold it.

I Tried to start another business of the same kind, but market was saturated and corrupt so I just settled with

starting another kind of businesses that I did not know about, sure enough,it failed.

So I went to live in good ole USA. I am now working paycheck to paycheck and hating it! I am thinking of looking

into the possibility of starting another business in DR of what I was doing before(smaller scale maybe)

BUT I was told that DR went down in tourism due to CUBA. IS that true??

Can anyone tell me if Bavaro area is still thriving? Should I look into CUBA??

What worries me is that it is still so new, also I heard the government taxes the heck out of businesses and it's

still a communist country. So I need some advice and I am turning here to hopefully get some!

Aug 6, 2006
My guess is that you will have to discuss business in Cuba with some Cubans who have tried it.
This might involve traveling to Cuba, or at least Miami.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My guess is that you will have to discuss business in Cuba with some Cubans who have tried it.

Exactly my thoughts! Won't get any advice about starting a business in Cuba on DR1. :)

Good Luck though on your venture!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Saturated and Corrupt Market?

I had a touristic business in the DR. I was successful, so much that I had a investor from another country wanting to buy it.

...market was saturated and corrupt

When was that? Years ago or recently?

I think, it is safe to say, that it has become rather difficult in finding a market niche.
In tourism you'll pay "commissions" to all type of mafia people (buscadores, guides, police, etc.) making you work for others rather than for yourself.

I have great respect for anybody coming here and make a living.

Good luck!

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

If she is American, forget about doing business in Cuba (she can't even legally travel there).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That's changing rapidly...the Embassy in Havana has now re-opened. Guess it's just a matter of time before the "GodFather" returns to his "native soil"!

It is changing yes, BUT you still can't get on kayak and travelocity and book a flight to Cuba or still need licenses to go there, it is restricted.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The Grammar is NOT that of an American..Im surprised you guys dont see such simple clues .

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The Grammar is NOT that of an American..Im surprised you guys dont see such simple clues .

Could it be that some of us guys are not American ?

Also, if she is a legal resident in US, Cuba is still a no go.

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015

I Tried to start another business of the same kind, but market was saturated and corrupt so I just settled with

starting another kind of businesses that I did not know about, sure enough,it failed.

So I went to live in good ole USA. I am now working paycheck to paycheck and hating it! I am thinking of looking

into the possibility of starting another business in DR of what I was doing before(smaller scale maybe)

BUT I was told that DR went down in tourism due to CUBA. IS that true??

Can anyone tell me if Bavaro area is still thriving? Should I look into CUBA??

What worries me is that it is still so new, also I heard the government taxes the heck out of businesses and it's

still a communist country. So I need some advice and I am turning here to hopefully get some!

Having read your post, I can't imagine you not being successful in business, no matter which country you choose.

Go for it...!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
German Grammar?

Hmm, you suspected that she is German.
However, I could not find much of a MikeFisher Grammar in her post... ;)

donP