bringing a car to DR

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
My best advice,think again and re-read all the responses on your other thread.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Am thinking of bringing my car to DR for the 4-5 months I'm there..any advice or ?

It will cost about $1000 to ship, then take time to clear customs, and be prepared to pay about 50% of it's worth in DR for taxes, and a couple of thousand for first license plates. And it has to be under 5 years old. And then you have to find a way to ship it back, not easy.

Not a good idea.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You are a tourist on a 30 day tourist card. What makes you think you can import a vehicle?

What makes you think you can register said vehicle?

What makes you think you can insure said vehicle?

What legal driver's license will you be using while here for 4 - 5 months?

When you get sent home for being in the country illegally, driving without a valid license, in an uninsured, unregistered car who gets your car?

Now you are just being silly.

Jan 9, 2004
You are a tourist on a 30 day tourist card. What makes you think you can import a vehicle?

Anyone can import a vehicle.

What makes you think you can register said vehicle?

Anyone can register a vehicle.

What makes you think you can insure said vehicle?

Anyone can insure a vehicle.

What legal driver's license will you be using while here for 4 - 5 months?

Good point.

When you get sent home for being in the country illegally, driving without a valid license, in an uninsured, unregistered car who gets your car?

I concur with the posters above. On so many other levels, the OP should NOT even consider trying to bring a car here and then send it back.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

macorisano

Oct 4, 2013

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
its easier to buy a car with no powertran in dr and ship the motor and tranny there to put it together then sell it after to make back your money or just do the 30 a day rental with a side company and work out a deal

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
its easier to buy a car with no powertran in dr and ship the motor and tranny there to put it together then sell it after to make back your money or just do the 30 a day rental with a side company and work out a deal

"I got it one piece at a time, and didn't cost me a dime"

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It will about 3 weeks to get... then clear at the dock

after the visit, back to the dock, 3-4 more weeks back to wherever it came from

Out of action for over 2 months to support the trip

That leaves the $$$ issues out of it.
You'll be renting/taxiing until the car clears on arrival and again after you drop it off.

Thinking outside the box..... muddled, but outside the box

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015
It can be done but it's expensive and a lot of hassle. Anyone can ship a vehicle to the DR as a tourist it's called an Internacion Temporal de Vehiculos de Turistas. The permit only lasts 90 days after which the vehicle has to be shipped out.

https://www.aduanas.gob.do/Descarga...ITOS-INT-TEMP-VEHICULOS-PUERTOS(TURISTAS).pdf

It's not that expensive, and not really much of a hassle. The permit can also be extended.

Of course, that depends on what your own idea of "expensive" is, and your tolerance for hassle. I met a young lady last week with a Honda Accord with Massachusetts plates.
She's had her car here six months and told me it cost her $850 to get it here. She kinda looked puzzled when I inquired as to all the hoops she had to go through.

She never heard of DR1.

Jan 9, 2004
It's not that expensive, and not really much of a hassle. The permit can also be extended.

Of course, that depends on what your own idea of "expensive" is, and your tolerance for hassle. I met a young lady last week with a Honda Accord with Massachusetts plates.
She's had her car here six months and told me it cost her $850 to get it here. She kinda looked puzzled when I inquired as to all the hoops she had to go through.

She never heard of DR1.

When/If you see her again, ask her about the "other" charges...not just shipping.

There are port landing charges and other paperwork charges for the documentation necessary to inspect/drive the vehicle, etc.

Did she tell you about the additional costs to insure the vehicle while outside the country. Massachusetts insurance policies require special endorsements ($) when the vehicle is operated outside the country (the exception being Canada).

I have no doubt it can be done and she may have done it......but I do have doubts about the amount she gave you....unless she really was only referring to the shipping.....as that is in line with the actual cost......but just to ship.....nothing else.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Probably one of the worst ideas I have ever read here. Find a rental agency and make a deal with them. For a 4 to 5 month rental you should be able to rent from 700usd per month depending on the car. Even if you book per month and rotate between Budget and National (as an example) you will be way less than your original plan.
To keep it simple just make sure all your insurance coverages are covered by your credit card. This point has been beaten to death on this forum

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do not believe the local rental car agencies will accept the insurance card wavers for insurance. Do they?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I do not believe the local rental car agencies will accept the insurance card wavers for insurance. Do they?

Mine does. I use an RBC Avion card. They even gave me a letter stating that they will pay if I have a mishap.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Via Exuma?

Am thinking of bringing my car to DR for the 4-5 months I'm there..any advice or ?

Advice?
You aren't listening to any advice.
Whatever your brains come up with, is OK with me. ;)

Next: "I am thinking of driving an amphibious car from Key West to Puerto Plata... must I stop over in Great Exuma?"

donP