A Realistic Cost Of Living In The DR....

pagerage

Jan 8, 2002
We have read on various sites that a person (or couple we have taken) could live comfortably on $1800 - $2000 US a month in the DR. Is that realistic? In our particular situation we would own a residence, so rent would be out of the monthly balance. We understand that these estimates do not assume trips to expensive restaurants or trips to expensive day spas. We just want to confirm with folk who live there that these are reasonable.... I know, what is reasonable? Upkeep on a vehicle and a moderately priced house, groceries and gas, going out to eat a couple times a week(Cafe Cito sounds cool), going out for drinks a couple times a week(and it doesn't have to be top-shelf), internet access, AC(do ya really need it?), Cable/Satelite TV, Health insurance. So what do you expats and/or locals say? Is $1800 - $2000 US a month reasonable? Thanks!

AmyB

Jan 4, 2002
There is a wealth of info in the Living section of DR1, youshould check out the option...cost of living.....

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Moving costs

Your estimate MIGHT be reasonable for an ESTABLISHED couple willing to live very moderately(by U.S. standards). Please be aware that moving costs can very easily run into tens of thousands of dollars. If you are buying property here find a GOOD lawyer and make him your best friend. On second thought, perhaps a team of good lawyers would be better. I do know a good established lawyer who is a Christian in both word and deed.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Where do you intend living?

You haven't mentioned where you intend living & spending your US $1,800 - US $2,000 per month. In Santo Domingo I believe you can live reasonably well on that figure. Here on the north coast you would have some difficulty spending that amount each month!!

We live quite comfortably on FAR less than that in Puerto Plata. Our combined income from investments, pensions & my work are in excess of US $2,000, but we never use it all, we have to re-invest it!! - Grahame Bush.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Living Standards

This has been discussed here many times. But as I have stated before, if you plan to live in Santo Domingo in a high income neighborhood like Piantini, Naco, Los Cacicazgos, El Vergel and streets like Anacaona Avenue or Pedro Henriquez Ure?a your US$2000 will not take you very far, even if you own the house.

For instance, a furnished studio(about 80 sq.meters) at NACO 2000 apartments rents for US$1000 a month. If you own, your maintenance costs would eat that much in a month. Security costs are very high. Electricity and water carry premium prices in these neighborhoods. Everyone who lives in these areas have maid service. A maid will cost you about $3000 for salaries plus meals and other costs.

However, in other neighborhoods you will live reasonably well, with the inconvenience of lots of noise, motorcycles,noisy neighbors, loud music, colmadones and all kinds of low income neighborhood problems. bad streets, deficient sewers, poor electricity, deficient water service, peddlers.Very few neighborhoods in Santo Domingo are exempt from this. Smaller towns are very noisy too. Puerto Plata for instance, has more motorcycles than cars. They absolutely drive you nuts. Most Dominicans are used to this. But if you come from, lets say, a suburb in a United States city, you would have a hard time adjusting to this.

TW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wasn't going to say anything, since it has been said before

But, I think you might consider Santiago as a start. Cost of living is lower than Santo Domingo or POP, to start off and you have the advantage of taking little trips to different places to see where you might want to settle permanently.

Furnished 2 br apts are about US$500 or less....There are some places where everything (movies, bars, discos, shopping) are all within walking distance.

think about it!

Hb