new member, advice needed regarding travel within DR

JHE

Jul 5, 2015
Hi. just learned of this forum looks interesting and hoping someone can also give me travel advice please.
I am travelling over to DR for a holiday and staying Punta Cana
I am wanting to travel to Bonao and stay overnight,but would appreciate some advice on the best way to get there.
Not wanting to drive, going by taxi I imagine would be very expensive.
any help would be gratefully received.

Aug 6, 2006
Take Expreso Bavaro to Santo Domingo, and Transportes Espinal on to Bonao.

Google the following
Expreso Bavaro
Autobus Espinal Bonao
These are large, Greyhound style buses, very comfy and air conditioned. There are also many smaller, less comfortable guaguas that cost only slightly less and make more stops and take longer. Sometimes there is AC, sometimes not.

The trip is around 3 hours to SD and less than 2 to Bonao. Cost, around $500 pesos, or less than US$12.00.
Feliz viaje!

JHE

Jul 5, 2015
What the heck is going on?
Bonao???????????????????
Dangerous and nothing there...

But wait, maybe a Sankiette on the internet? :classic:

donP
Whats dangerous? Been before but not from Punta Cana and loved it, to see the real DR beautiful countryside, Rio Jima, Los
Quemados.

JHE

Jul 5, 2015
Take Expreso Bavaro to Santo Domingo, and Transportes Espinal on to Bonao.

Google the following
Expreso Bavaro
Autobus Espinal Bonao
These are large, Greyhound style buses, very comfy and air conditioned. There are also many smaller, less comfortable guaguas that cost only slightly less and make more stops and take longer. Sometimes there is AC, sometimes not.

The trip is around 3 hours to SD and less than 2 to Bonao. Cost, around $500 pesos, or less than US$12.00.
Feliz viaje!

Thank You Xavier_Onassis thats a great help. will look it up.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bonao

Whats dangerous?

On reviewing the Dominican papers daily I find that Bonao has had a lot of crime lately.
I have heard the opinion that many deportees live in that area.

Make sure you are armed as crime is rampant and as a gringo you are a prime target. Never lived in a worse spot in my life.

But it's true, I do not live in Bonao.
Obviously you do not either and only went there as a visitor.
Yes, landscape is nice, I remember that... ;)

donP

Last edited:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
On reviewing the Dominican papers daily I find that Bonao has had a lot of crime lately.
I have heard the opinion that many deportees live in that area.

But it's true, I do not live there.
Obviously you do not either and only went there as a visitor.
So, you may get a better picture from those who know the town in and out.

donP

Sorry but you are misinformed on this one. Love the place day and at night. Never had a problem and would live there without a worry.

Safer than North Coast, Santiago and Santo Domingo and even Las Terrenas these days I hear lol.

Very few expats too.

JHE

Jul 5, 2015
no I do not live there but I went to reunion there a few years back with people who lived there years ago from all over the world and local people who do live Bonao, Santo Domingo etc and I can honestly say everyone I met then were all pleasant and respectful.
I don't doubt Bonao and anywhere else in the world has crime, but like anywhere in any country it is sensible to be aware.

JHE

Jul 5, 2015
Sorry but you are misinformed on this one. Love the place day and at night. Never had a problem and would live there without a worry.

Safer than North Coast, Santiago and Santo Domingo and even Las Terrenas these days I hear lol.

Very few expats too.

thanks ju 10prd, I found it a nice place also. many ex pats years ago though with the Falcondo Mine !
we found every where we went people were welcoming.

JHE

Jul 5, 2015
As with anywhere in DR be careful. Use usual precautions.

thanks ju 10prd. that goes for any country/town/village in the world doesnt it. it makes sense to be aware.
I know there are risks wherever I have travelled including the DR !
hopefully I will make it back to Bonao !:)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Divergent Opinions

Sorry but you are misinformed on this one.

As you know Bonao is not an area where I could do personal research... ;)
So, I rely on the papers.
It's difficult for me, whom to give more credit for a personal opinion... but I see, that they are divergent.

Has the situation improved?
Miles marchan con el Torito en Bonao contra la violencia y la delincuencia | Cibao Aldia
Delincuencia y narcotr?fico convierten a Bonao en una comunidad de terror | Noticias SIN

donP

JHE

Jul 5, 2015
It's difficult for me, whom to give more credit for a personal opinion... but I see, that they are divergent.

Miles marchan con el Torito en Bonao contra la violencia y la delincuencia | Cibao Aldia
Delincuencia y narcotr?fico convierten a Bonao en una comunidad de terror | Noticias SIN

donP

donP I am not a naive traveller I only asked the practical way to travel to Bonao.
I know there are risks to travelling to both tourist destinations as well as destinations off the beaten track
there is crime in many places in DR just like the UK
if i worried about risks I would be housebound.
I like to explore and I have been lucky to see some beauty spots in the DR that most holidaymakers don't see.
I do not want to stay for 2 weeks in a 5* luxury all inclusive resort in Punta Cana I want to see the real DR
yes I have seen poverty and begging been followed and asked for money. thats caused by hardship isnt it? who can blame them, I have my wits about me I know the risks, I wasn't born yesterday,

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bonao vs. LT

donP I am not a naive traveller I only asked the practical way to travel to Bonao.

That's good.
I just intervened as I can't let it go 'unpunished' that Bonao gets more interesting than
Las Terrenas...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

donP

JHE

Jul 5, 2015
are u the resident troll donP.
I posted a genuine question just to get unhelpful responses from you

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

donP

I did mention in my comments that the town like many in the Cibao is politically very volatile. During the time I was in the area there were a few huelgas (strikes) and I think one of your links refers.

As for delinquency and drugs, I am afraid that afflicts a large part of the country to some level. As I said my opinion is he north Coast, Santiago and Santo Domingo in many suburbs is worse (and Moca now). But I've been through a revolution in Iran (last expat in the oil fields) and lived in crime ridden Nairobi nicknamed NiRobbery), so I'm quite relaxed about such things.

There are no gated communities but there are plenty of decent housing with good security.

I never felt threatened but then I was always with Dominicans.

Remember this town was home to quite a few Canadians when the nickel mine was in full swing.

You can point to crime issues in almost any part of the country and maybe where you are in LT is one of the safest places.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Over and Out

are u the resident troll donP.
I posted a genuine question just to get unhelpful responses from you

Well, they were responses that you did not like.
Whether they were helpful or not, you don't even know yet. :laugh:
That's all.

But don't worry, YOU will not get ANY responses from me any more... :classic:

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
That's good.
I just intervened as I can't let it go 'unpunished' that Bonao gets more interesting than
Las Terrenas...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

donP

Believe me the chicas of Bonao are much better than LT (mind you resort girls are a waste of space)