Car Rentals from AZS

I'm heading back to LT in January and was just taking a quick look at car rentals. WTF happened to the rental $?

The cost has doubled & that's not even including the fees they say are mandatory, theft, accident, etc.

Last year we rented from Sixt for about $30 per day (USD) + the BS fees.

Now it's almost $70[emoji33]

WTF

If this is the new standard, I guess I'm taking a taxi & just renting Moto's & quads ...

Anyone know why?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm heading back to LT in January and was just taking a quick look at car rentals. WTF happened to the rental $?

The cost has doubled & that's not even including the fees they say are mandatory, theft, accident, etc.

Last year we rented from Sixt for about $30 per day (USD) + the BS fees.

Now it's almost $70[emoji33]

WTF

If this is the new standard, I guess I'm taking a taxi & just renting Moto's & quads ...

Anyone know why?

You probably will get a better price in LT vs the airport. If you figure that it will cost you $140 r/t for a taxi you are better off to rent at the airport and bite the bullet.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
the price did go up all because of the insurance plus the tire and wind shield damage coverage they want you to have.

Rasputin

Jan 27, 2015
you can rent out side the airport but they will hold your passport if any thing happens

Passports are the property of the issuing government. If you leave your passport on deposit (which happens in European hotels all the time) that is your decision and is not a practice that is wise or enforceable. A photocopy of the details page is usually all that is required and enforceable. If you leave your passport with someone, you may have difficulty getting it back when it is time. Your embassy will get it back for you eventually, but you may miss your flight while waiting. If someone insists on keeping your actual passport, do business somewhere else.

In this country, my acutal passport never leaves my possession. I have photocopies to leave for car rentals, hotels and to keep in my pocket in case I need to use a bank or someone requests identification.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Everything has gone up, not just vehicle rentals. The DR is quickly pricing itself out.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
you can rent out side the airport but they will hold your passport if any thing happens

I would NEVER rent from anyone who holds my passport.. EVER.. might as well just sign your freedom away while you are at it.. a high quality photocoy should be more than enough, even a DEPOSIT would be better
... Soon as they say they want to hold my passport, i would walk out the door and never return to such a business.. One of those rules you never break in the DR..you are opening yourself up to all kinds of possible Extortion.
The fact that they are even asking such a thing, is proof enough that they may be trying to set you up, and want to see how Naive you are.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I always rent outside the Airport... Last time I rented at the airport, and purchased the FULL BOAT INSURANCE they sell.. the guy still went over the car with a fine tooth comb when I returned, and he was looking for even a single scratch.... I had no objection to it.. but I felt as if there WERE a scratch on the car, I would have been charged, probably $100.. which makes the insurance total BS.. I have heard of such cases by the way and how are you going to fight him on it ?... cuz people dont want to miss their Plane, and they just pay it..
Personally I rather get rid of the car many hours before i go to the airport and just relax ..
pay for the taxi, or share a taxi to and from ..