Moving to DR from NY in a month or two

jdale6650

Mar 22, 2009
I haven't signed onto this website for years as moving to DR seemed so far away. Well, its finally here now. I am American, my husband Dominican. He hasn't lived in DR since he was young but we are moving back now. I am in the throes of doing the paperwork to be a resident. OMG! So many things to get notarized, translated and apostilled it makes my head spin. Is there an easier way to do this with my husband being Dominican?? Ifnot, where can I get my documents translated where it will be accepted by the Embassy? I don't want to pay $140 in NYC per document so I am doing the running around myself. Any help will be appreciated. (I'm doing this mostly from the states). Can I go to my own doctor for the medical exam or if not...where will an exam be accepted from? Also my criminal record statement...can it be from my local police dept or does it need to come from the FBI? Sorry. Lots of questions!

Jan

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Can I go to my own doctor for the medical exam or if not...where will an exam be accepted from?

Like Harleysrock, cannot speak for US either, I have only dealt with European embassies, but there the procedure was, that first you need a legalized medical certificate stating your general condition and this from your home country, and the immigration in Santo Domingo will need to approve this. Once you are in Santo Domingo, the immigration will put you through another medical examination, basically blood/urine etc.

My European doctor only wrote an official document stating that I?m in perfect health, did no further examination, and that was perfectly fine with the immigration.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I haven't signed onto this website for years as moving to DR seemed so far away. Well, its finally here now. I am American, my husband Dominican. He hasn't lived in DR since he was young but we are moving back now. I am in the throes of doing the paperwork to be a resident. OMG! So many things to get notarized, translated and apostilled it makes my head spin. Is there an easier way to do this with my husband being Dominican?? Ifnot, where can I get my documents translated where it will be accepted by the Embassy? I don't want to pay $140 in NYC per document so I am doing the running around myself. Any help will be appreciated. (I'm doing this mostly from the states). Can I go to my own doctor for the medical exam or if not...where will an exam be accepted from? Also my criminal record statement...can it be from my local police dept or does it need to come from the FBI? Sorry. Lots of questions!

Jan

Hi:

to try and answer your questions. You may be able to find someone in NYC to translate the documents cheaper than the DR Consulate. Try look on the web. The police report needs to come from the state of NY. You need to find the closest NYState Police and get info from them on getting an appointment to get fingerprints. These will be submitted to see if you have any criminal history. This also needs to be translated. I believe you need to have the medical test done in Santo Domingo. This is part of the process after you arrive in the DR, higher an attorney who will submit your paperwork and you will have to give a blood and urine sample and DR medical will also give you a chest x-ray. Submitting your documents in Santo Doming will require you to hire a lawyer and cost about $1200 or more USD$s. If you are going to live in the DR full time you need residency and the residency card (cedula) Good luck.

jdale6650

Mar 22, 2009
Two good pieces of information!

Welcome back to dr1 and good luck with your move! I don't know for Americans but I went to my own doctor in Canada and got the medical exam done. Hopefully someone from the US can answer your questions.

I found emailing the Consulate very helpful, they answered all my questions.

Yes that definitely helps. If you could submit your own doctor's medical exam and have it accepted, no doubt I can too. And the fact that the Consulate has email, that may help if the NYC consulate responds too. That may less hopeful but I sure will try. Getting through on the phone has been difficult. I will try. I have hesitated
doing that because I assume they want me to go through them so they can profit from it. But its worth a shot
to try to email them as well. Thanks for your help!

jdale6650

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks Josh. That seems to be the consensus...go to my doc. Hopefully they are just looking for contagious diseases because after being in a huge accident, breaking my neck and back in 2009, there's plenty of things that went wrong. But in general
I do fine except for all the aches and pains. I will call my doctor Monday about this. How did you get your documents
translated? That is a big mystery that I cannot find any answers to.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The "medical exam" that you submit to the consulate from your doctor is simply a letter/form that states you have no communicable diseases. This letter is required for the residency visa that is stamped in your passport and is required at Immigration in Santo Domingo. As others have already mentioned, as part of the submission process here in the DR, you will be sent for additional medical tests/drug screening.

Many immigration lawyers here in the DR include translation services in their price. Some will even file your visa application electronically at the embassy when everything has been assembled, translated and the appropriate letters of introductions and financial guarantee written (these required letters are also available from your DR lawyer for a price).

1) Get your documents together as outlined by the Consulate
2) Retain a DR immigration lawyer
3) Follow the lawyer's instructions
4) Lawyer will file for you or tell you when to file for the residency visa at the Consulate in the USA - it expires in 90 days and must be valid on the day your application is submitted in Santo Domingo
5) Your Lawyer will tell you when to be in Santo Domingo to initiate the second part of the process.

Lawyer references are available from individual forum members if you were to ask for one. The process takes a long time, can be stressful at times, but is do-able if you take it one day at a time, and don't leave this process to the last minute.

Good luck.

jdale6650

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks for your welcome! I am also retiring at the end of this month (Yay!!) so that is another helpful factor. I do meet the
$1500/mo rule...just barely. What could be better than retiring in the Caribbean! I cannot get much in the states with social
security so we thought we could get a lot more bang for our buck in DR without all the drama and busyness of New York.
When HE retires (not for awhile if at all) I think we should live fine....a lot better than in New York. Healthcare my first year
alone retired with New York insurance will cost over $300/mo which is ridiculous! But until I know what DR has to offer as far as doctors and healthcare goes, I had to get a good plan here in New York. I think I will just find a doctor that comes
recommended by others. At least I will have a great dentist in DR anyway! My dentist here in NY is Dominican so he has a lot of advice pertaining to that. Anyway, I'm rambling now.

You asked where we are settling but we are not positive yet. Depends on what work my husband can find. He is thinking
Santo Domingo to start and I am hoping Samana but La Romana looks pretty good too and his mother has friends there. This is why he is going over first and I will come later. His degree is in business and he speaks three languages so hopefully he will find something decent. He has been absent from the workforce for awhile so this is a new start for both of us.

You mention looking in the forums and I have done a lot of searches already and found much of the info is outdated. It used
to be that residency was done mostly in DR but now that has changed. Which maybe is a good thing? Somehow whenever I
open my mouth in DR and they see that I am American the price goes up. I have learned to let family do the talking (altho I
am working on my Spanish again). I would be afraid that the price would be higher to get all this done in DR but of course
New York is certainly not cheap either.

torontiago

Dec 14, 2013
That's good.

Why?
Where to?

For most of your questions answers are found in the forums.
Although the search function is not very helpful, you'll find the required information with patience.

Welcome again after 6 years!

donP

Why would you take your time to actually write an answer to a question with no answer at all?
Makes no sense to me..you must really be bored?..I mean, if you took the time to write what you wrote, why not be constructive and actually answer some of the OP's questions?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why don't you just.... ?

Why would you take your time to actually write an answer to a question with no answer at all?

I had 2 questions for the OP and she answered them.
Who are you to tell me what, when and how to post on this forum?

donP

jdale6650

Mar 22, 2009
Translation

LTSteve, I will do some searches to try to find someone in NY to translate the documents. I just am afraid of
getting some shyster who will translate it and then it won't be accepted (after I have paid a bundle). But
maybe the Consulate will answer my email about this. I am hoping that someone can recommend a service for that. The big issue is what will be accepted as far as translation goes. For that matter, my husband can
translate it, but of course that will not be accepted. Gotta find a translation service that will be accepted.

Your advice about criminal record and State Police is helpful. I work with someone who's son is a cop. Not
sure if he is State or local but my fingerprints are necessary I know. I can't afford to get a lawyer for all this as our money will be tight and saved for moving expenses so since I am retired in two weeks, I think I can do this myself. Thanks for all the information. This is very helpful.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
1,500USD minimum

I consider 1,500USD/month an absolute minimum for 2 people, but it seems that you have local support, so things could be fine.
It is not clear, whether your husband is still working in the US or not. The risk of being unemployed in the DR needs to be taken seriously, it is not easy to find work here.
It's true, life is more laid back here, but not void of drama and hassle either. ;)

When it comes to location, I'd recommend Saman? (where we have been living for 19 years) as you obviously like a typical Caribbean environment; but not for finding a job easily.
Santo Domingo would be much better for that, but you won't like it...

I understand, that all your visa and residency applications will now have to be processed by the DR embassy/consulate in the US.
Whatever requirements they put in front of you, you'll have to swallow.

donP

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we have read here (more than once) that the RD Consulate helps with the translations.

I found the NYC office to be especially helpful the one time I needed them.

Hunt around Washington Hts if you feel you need to 'freelance'... surely you'll get a suggestion from here.

jdale6650

Mar 22, 2009
Yes, the $1500 is just my SS retirement which seems to be one of the requirements that I can use for residency. My husband
will also be working and already has a few offers so hopefully they will pan out. But as you mentioned the family and friends
support is also there to get things moving along.

I agree about Samana. It is beautiful there and the environment is more laid back than SD. We want to vacation there in
August for a week and look around. I have travel points to burn on my credit card that I have been saving.

Are the cruise ships docking in Samana now? I know they used to not come into port but bring people in via a dingy (or
whatever they are called). Are they docking there now? (Altho in a way that could be bad too with a lot of tourists, it would
nevertheless bring a lot of jobs I would think.)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Santa B?rbara de Saman?

Are the cruise ships docking in Samana now? I know they used to not come into port but bring people in via a dingy (or
whatever they are called). Are they docking there now? (Altho in a way that could be bad too with a lot of tourists, it would
nevertheless bring a lot of jobs I would think.)

That would be in the harbour of Santa B?rbara de Saman? ("Saman? Town") where the passengers are brought ashore on 'tenders'.
Now after the whale season I haven't heard of any cruise ships stopping over.
The benefit from the cruise pax is little. They only stay for a few hours and then the town falls asleep again...

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks Josh. That seems to be the consensus...go to my doc. Hopefully they are just looking for contagious diseases because after being in a huge accident, breaking my neck and back in 2009, there's plenty of things that went wrong. But in general
I do fine except for all the aches and pains. I will call my doctor Monday about this. How did you get your documents
translated? That is a big mystery that I cannot find any answers to.

Get your documents translated in SD, much much cheaper. In NY I believe you have to use the translator at the consulate = big bucks. There's a woman in Santo Domingo who charges about 800 pesos a page, vs. over a hundred in NY. Her name is Olga Vinas, and she is certified by DR to do the translations [you cannot use someone not certified by them, it won't be accepted]. Her e-mail is vinasolga@hotmail.com. She'll also deposit documents, etc. for you at a reasonable cost.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The "medical exam" that you submit to the consulate from your doctor is simply a letter/form that states you have no communicable diseases. This letter is required for the residency visa that is stamped in your passport and is required at Immigration in Santo Domingo. As others have already mentioned, as part of the submission process here in the DR, you will be sent for additional medical tests/drug screening.

Many immigration lawyers here in the DR include translation services in their price. Some will even file your visa application electronically at the embassy when everything has been assembled, translated and the appropriate letters of introductions and financial guarantee written (these required letters are also available from your DR lawyer for a price).

1) Get your documents together as outlined by the Consulate
2) Retain a DR immigration lawyer
3) Follow the lawyer's instructions
4) Lawyer will file for you or tell you when to file for the residency visa at the Consulate in the USA - it expires in 90 days and must be valid on the day your application is submitted in Santo Domingo
5) Your Lawyer will tell you when to be in Santo Domingo to initiate the second part of the process.

Lawyer references are available from individual forum members if you were to ask for one. The process takes a long time, can be stressful at times, but is do-able if you take it one day at a time, and don't leave this process to the last minute.

Good luck.

The process can for sure be different in different countries, but I have never needed to contact any lawyer in the DR in this process. The consulate took care of everything. They (consulate in Europe) had a system to directly submit the documents to immigration in Santo Domingo, and they were in real-time communication with them while confirming with me over the phone that Santo Domingo had just approved the application. Then the consulate proceeded with printing out the visa, stamping it to my passport, and then returning my passport along with the originally submitted documents for me to take them personally to immigration in Santo Domingo.