Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generous Local Businesses Making a Difference

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Generous Local Businesses Making a Difference

Huge thanks to Gorditio's from Strength for the Journey in Sosua for providing complete Dominican meals for our 45 kids and 5 adults taking part in our summer camp. Your generous donation is much appreciated by, not only the members, volunteers, and teachers at Strength for the Journey, but also all our kids attending the camp. Possibly it was the only meal they ate today. I hope the generosity of Gorditio's reaps many rewards beyond the initial investment.

Lindsey

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Had some pics to add from photo bucket, but didn't know which option to select to post. If someone can help, I would love to give Gorditio's more credit for their generous donation.

Lindsey

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    Had some pics to add from photo bucket, but didn't know which option to select to post. If someone can help, I would love to give Gorditio's more credit for their generous donation.

Lindsey
    Just post the link photobucket gives as 'direct' (the one that ends as .jpg) by using the image icon above the text box you're typing your post in on dr1. (The third from the right).

4. Likes LindseyKaufman liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Maurico. Here are some pics.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as local businesses are offering support this week at our summer camp, so, too, are individuals. Thank you to Pat Konigsberg and Donna Nelson who prepared, served, and donated lunches yesterday. We weren't sure how Dominican kids would respond to peanut butter and jelly, nor were we certain that no one had a nut allergy, but lunch was a hit and not a single child had a reaction to the nuts.

......People working together on a meaningful cause.......And when we give generously, expecting nothing in return, the benefits always exceed the original investment.

Lindsey

7. Likes bakersindr, Bob Boyd, sosuamatt liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

One fun, happy week of Strength for the Journey summer camp came to a close yesterday. I couldn't imagine a better experience for anyone involved. The "campers' did soap carvings, made backpacks, created fingerprint paintings, molded salt and flour sculptures, and did prints with sponges and vegetables. Musicians came each day for song and dance activities, and extra energy was used up in outdoor recreation and games. On Friday, Tristan the Clown came and entertained with music, dance, magic and other activities. (For anyone looking for birthday party entertainment for kids, this group is fantastic!)

MANY people worked together to make this possible. Two US volunteers who are also teachers worked tirelessly planning and implementing the art activities. Raquel, from Casa Niños Felices, the local orphanage, brought 9 children every day to participate, then stayed all day, helping out. Herminia Ticé, our ballet and art teacher volunteered all day everyday helping with activities and translations with our non Spanish speakers. Estrella Mendez arrived at lunch hour to serve food and help clean up. Gordito's, Pat Konigsberg and Donna Nelson donated lunches and D'Colores and Copacabana provided lunches at a much reduced cost, as did Angelis, a mother of one of our students.

Many like to give Sosua a bad name. I beg to differ. My experience is the opposite. It was the goodness of individuals and businesses such as those mentioned that make Sosua a small town willing to work together for a better future.

Thanks to all those mentioned above and to our kids with a bright future. You are Strength for the Journey.

~ Lindsey Kaufman

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

9. Likes Bob Boyd, AlterEgo, sosuamatt liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Additional thanks to Bill Passmore who photographed our activities on Wednesday. I bet his pics are much better than mine. Will post some as soon as they are available.

~ Lindsey

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The little faces in the photos tell the whole story, thanks for sharing Lindsey!

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

12. Likes Frank the Tank liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this Gorditos Tex Mex in Cabarete that donated?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Lindsey.. You are a special person indeed, and so are the people you work with ... Please do share more pics, they make us smile more than you know..
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast