Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generous Local Businesses Making a Difference

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Is this Gorditos Tex Mex in Cabarete that donated?
    Yes, Zoom, it IS Gorditos in Cabarete. They donated the entire meal for 45 children and 5 adults. The food was delicious and their generosity, much appreciated.

Lindsey

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    Yes, Zoom, it IS Gorditos in Cabarete. They donated the entire meal for 45 children and 5 adults. The food was delicious and their generosity, much appreciated.

Lindsey
    when i see what you are doing, in the immortal words of the late James Brown, I FEEL GOOD.

i have to think of a way that i can pitch in, someday soon.

3. Likes LindseyKaufman liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorditos food is awesome....Thanks for the reminder, I will have to hit em up next week.......luv those carnitas tacos

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    when i see what you are doing, in the immortal words of the late James Brown, I FEEL GOOD.

i have to think of a way that i can pitch in, someday soon.
    Gorgon, there are many different ways to help. Now that camp is over, we return to our regular classes next week. All classes are free for local Sosua kids who are poor. Class offerings depend on volunteers available and their particular skills. Spanish helps, but it is not necessary. Currently, I have 2 volunteers who help with our board games class. They speak only a few words of Spanish, but it all works out. They have as much fun as the kids. (One woman fondly calls her table of kids "my little cheaters.") Most important is the presence of adults who become role models for these kids.

In September, we will enroll children for a new session of classes. If, for a crazy example, someone who wants to volunteer has a talent for playing the spoons, then we can offer a "Spoons" class. Or maybe someone has a hobby of photography and knows how to edit photos. We could use our 18 iPads to teach kids photography and photo editing. I have a projector. The kids love watching videos. We could hold a session where kids come to see nature videos. (That would require almost no Spanish language skills on the part of the volunteer.) ....Or, if someone wants to help out by building shelves for us, or running copies in the office. Actually, the sky is the limit.

What makes Strength for the Journey work is the people- local and otherwise- who are willing to contribute in one small way or another.

I encourage anyone and everyone to stop by to see what goes on. We are located across from the heliport in Sosua, above the latino Market. Classes currently run Mondays through Thursdays, from 8:30 - 11:30 am. In September, we will hold classes after school. Even if you are not interested in volunteering, stop by. I guarantee, it will warm your heart.

We may not have the power to make sweeping changes in Sosua. But together, we can make small improvements in the lives of local children. And in doing so, we are changing the course of their future.

That is Strength for the Journey.

Lindsey

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    Gorgon, there are many different ways to help. Now that camp is over, we return to our regular classes next week. All classes are free for local Sosua kids who are poor. Class offerings depend on volunteers available and their particular skills. Spanish helps, but it is not necessary. Currently, I have 2 volunteers who help with our board games class. They speak only a few words of Spanish, but it all works out. They have as much fun as the kids. (One woman fondly calls her table of kids "my little cheaters.") Most important is the presence of adults who become role models for these kids.

In September, we will enroll children for a new session of classes. If, for a crazy example, someone who wants to volunteer has a talent for playing the spoons, then we can offer a "Spoons" class. Or maybe someone has a hobby of photography and knows how to edit photos. We could use our 18 iPads to teach kids photography and photo editing. I have a projector. The kids love watching videos. We could hold a session where kids come to see nature videos. (That would require almost no Spanish language skills on the part of the volunteer.) ....Or, if someone wants to help out by building shelves for us, or running copies in the office. Actually, the sky is the limit.

What makes Strength for the Journey work is the people- local and otherwise- who are willing to contribute in one small way or another.

I encourage anyone and everyone to stop by to see what goes on. We are located across from the heliport in Sosua, above the latino Market. Classes currently run Mondays through Thursdays, from 8:30 - 11:30 am. In September, we will hold classes after school. Even if you are not interested in volunteering, stop by. I guarantee, it will warm your heart.

We may not have the power to make sweeping changes in Sosua. But together, we can make small improvements in the lives of local children. And in doing so, we are changing the course of their future.

That is Strength for the Journey.

Lindsey
    my heart has already been warmed. i will stop in next week. i think it is just the medicine i need right at this moment.

7. Likes LindseyKaufman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this positive story. It's refreshing because according to some nothing good or positive happens in DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a few more pics. Then, I promise, I will stop.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

10. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Bill Passmore for the above photos.

Lindsey

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Some seriously cute kids in those photos!!

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12