Generous Local Businesses Making a Difference

Aug 21, 2007
Huge thanks to Gorditio's from Strength for the Journey in Sosua for providing complete Dominican meals for our 45 kids and 5 adults taking part in our summer camp. Your generous donation is much appreciated by, not only the members, volunteers, and teachers at Strength for the Journey, but also all our kids attending the camp. Possibly it was the only meal they ate today. I hope the generosity of Gorditio's reaps many rewards beyond the initial investment.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Had some pics to add from photo bucket, but didn't know which option to select to post. If someone can help, I would love to give Gorditio's more credit for their generous donation.

Lindsey

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Had some pics to add from photo bucket, but didn't know which option to select to post. If someone can help, I would love to give Gorditio's more credit for their generous donation.

Lindsey
Just post the link photobucket gives as 'direct' (the one that ends as .jpg) by using the image icon above the text box you're typing your post in on dr1. (The third from the right).

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks, Maurico. Here are some pics.

FullSizeRender%202_zpsoriugufy.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Aug 21, 2007
Just as local businesses are offering support this week at our summer camp, so, too, are individuals. Thank you to Pat Konigsberg and Donna Nelson who prepared, served, and donated lunches yesterday. We weren't sure how Dominican kids would respond to peanut butter and jelly, nor were we certain that no one had a nut allergy, but lunch was a hit and not a single child had a reaction to the nuts.

......People working together on a meaningful cause.......And when we give generously, expecting nothing in return, the benefits always exceed the original investment.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
One fun, happy week of Strength for the Journey summer camp came to a close yesterday. I couldn't imagine a better experience for anyone involved. The "campers' did soap carvings, made backpacks, created fingerprint paintings, molded salt and flour sculptures, and did prints with sponges and vegetables. Musicians came each day for song and dance activities, and extra energy was used up in outdoor recreation and games. On Friday, Tristan the Clown came and entertained with music, dance, magic and other activities. (For anyone looking for birthday party entertainment for kids, this group is fantastic!)

MANY people worked together to make this possible. Two US volunteers who are also teachers worked tirelessly planning and implementing the art activities. Raquel, from Casa Ni?os Felices, the local orphanage, brought 9 children every day to participate, then stayed all day, helping out. Herminia Tic?, our ballet and art teacher volunteered all day everyday helping with activities and translations with our non Spanish speakers. Estrella Mendez arrived at lunch hour to serve food and help clean up. Gordito's, Pat Konigsberg and Donna Nelson donated lunches and D'Colores and Copacabana provided lunches at a much reduced cost, as did Angelis, a mother of one of our students.

Many like to give Sosua a bad name. I beg to differ. My experience is the opposite. It was the goodness of individuals and businesses such as those mentioned that make Sosua a small town willing to work together for a better future.

Thanks to all those mentioned above and to our kids with a bright future. You are Strength for the Journey.

~ Lindsey Kaufman

IMG_0858_zpsft08y0x8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0826_zpsoszgarzc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0958_zpspix8xv4u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1001_zps9nfgt5tp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FullSizeRender_zpsjphl6cnt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1012_zpsyp6xjixx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Aug 21, 2007
Additional thanks to Bill Passmore who photographed our activities on Wednesday. I bet his pics are much better than mine. Will post some as soon as they are available.

~ Lindsey

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Awesome Lindsey.. You are a special person indeed, and so are the people you work with ... Please do share more pics, they make us smile more than you know..
thanks

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, Zoom, it IS Gorditos in Cabarete. They donated the entire meal for 45 children and 5 adults. The food was delicious and their generosity, much appreciated.

Lindsey

when i see what you are doing, in the immortal words of the late James Brown, I FEEL GOOD.

i have to think of a way that i can pitch in, someday soon.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Gorditos food is awesome....Thanks for the reminder, I will have to hit em up next week.......luv those carnitas tacos :)

Aug 21, 2007
when i see what you are doing, in the immortal words of the late James Brown, I FEEL GOOD.

i have to think of a way that i can pitch in, someday soon.

Gorgon, there are many different ways to help. Now that camp is over, we return to our regular classes next week. All classes are free for local Sosua kids who are poor. Class offerings depend on volunteers available and their particular skills. Spanish helps, but it is not necessary. Currently, I have 2 volunteers who help with our board games class. They speak only a few words of Spanish, but it all works out. They have as much fun as the kids. (One woman fondly calls her table of kids "my little cheaters.") Most important is the presence of adults who become role models for these kids.

In September, we will enroll children for a new session of classes. If, for a crazy example, someone who wants to volunteer has a talent for playing the spoons, then we can offer a "Spoons" class. Or maybe someone has a hobby of photography and knows how to edit photos. We could use our 18 iPads to teach kids photography and photo editing. I have a projector. The kids love watching videos. We could hold a session where kids come to see nature videos. (That would require almost no Spanish language skills on the part of the volunteer.) ....Or, if someone wants to help out by building shelves for us, or running copies in the office. Actually, the sky is the limit.

What makes Strength for the Journey work is the people- local and otherwise- who are willing to contribute in one small way or another.

I encourage anyone and everyone to stop by to see what goes on. We are located across from the heliport in Sosua, above the latino Market. Classes currently run Mondays through Thursdays, from 8:30 - 11:30 am. In September, we will hold classes after school. Even if you are not interested in volunteering, stop by. I guarantee, it will warm your heart.

We may not have the power to make sweeping changes in Sosua. But together, we can make small improvements in the lives of local children. And in doing so, we are changing the course of their future.

That is Strength for the Journey.

Lindsey

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon, there are many different ways to help. Now that camp is over, we return to our regular classes next week. All classes are free for local Sosua kids who are poor. Class offerings depend on volunteers available and their particular skills. Spanish helps, but it is not necessary. Currently, I have 2 volunteers who help with our board games class. They speak only a few words of Spanish, but it all works out. They have as much fun as the kids. (One woman fondly calls her table of kids "my little cheaters.") Most important is the presence of adults who become role models for these kids.

In September, we will enroll children for a new session of classes. If, for a crazy example, someone who wants to volunteer has a talent for playing the spoons, then we can offer a "Spoons" class. Or maybe someone has a hobby of photography and knows how to edit photos. We could use our 18 iPads to teach kids photography and photo editing. I have a projector. The kids love watching videos. We could hold a session where kids come to see nature videos. (That would require almost no Spanish language skills on the part of the volunteer.) ....Or, if someone wants to help out by building shelves for us, or running copies in the office. Actually, the sky is the limit.

What makes Strength for the Journey work is the people- local and otherwise- who are willing to contribute in one small way or another.

I encourage anyone and everyone to stop by to see what goes on. We are located across from the heliport in Sosua, above the latino Market. Classes currently run Mondays through Thursdays, from 8:30 - 11:30 am. In September, we will hold classes after school. Even if you are not interested in volunteering, stop by. I guarantee, it will warm your heart.

We may not have the power to make sweeping changes in Sosua. But together, we can make small improvements in the lives of local children. And in doing so, we are changing the course of their future.

That is Strength for the Journey.

Lindsey

my heart has already been warmed. i will stop in next week. i think it is just the medicine i need right at this moment.

May 12, 2005
Thanks for sharing this positive story. It's refreshing because according to some nothing good or positive happens in DR.

Aug 21, 2007
Just a few more pics. Then, I promise, I will stop.

DSC01333%201_zpse5wcskya.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01363_zps3ik1ande.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01313_zpslnfqsbqi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0981_zpsnuc8ypkp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

-kTWl0r-JqAZcLRzUc7Qgwec0zb7GBVetYhyhu-IHg8_zps0sg4l3hm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01382_zps1yvrdptd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]