Dominican Visa Criminal Record

Cltaylor23

Feb 17, 2010
Does anyone know if the Dominican Republic would issue a residency or business visa to someone from the U.S. with a misdemeanor on their record assuming that they meet all other requirements?

Cltaylor23

Feb 17, 2010
So you would at least find out when applying for the visa from the state rather than applying for residency in the DR?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Does anyone know if the Dominican Republic would issue a residency or business visa to someone from the U.S. with a misdemeanor on their record assuming that they meet all other requirements?

Depends on class of misdemeanor on your record. For the most part unless it's a repeat thing, a one time strike on your record will not bar you from getting a DR business Visa or residency. Citizenship is another ballgame.

Rasputin

Jan 27, 2015
It is my understanding that tourists and short term visitors rarely encounter any problems with their past unless they have been in the press for their transgretions.

If applying to live here or for a lengthy buisness or work visa, all applicants are now screened by Interpol. Someone somewhere will review that report. If your crime is considered to be one that reflects a breach of trust like theft or fraud you may have a a problem as opposed to being a convicted murderer. Crimes that suggest a character flaw are often considered more telling than if one drives drunk or off their family. Any crime that is drug related is an automatic failure.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Wow, I did not think that it would be this strict. I think I have a 20 year old dope charge for parifanalia and a few DUI's. As I have been sober now
for a while I have not given any of this much thought. But now as I read this thread, well I am.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know of a guy that was denied entry at POP for having a DWI in the states.

This I cannot believe. Did they put him on a plane home? By the way you would have to prove to me this is not total Bull****.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Agree with Sky totally. Almost anything a long time ago is ok. You a convicted murderer fresh out of the can maybe not. You a convicted narcotics trafficer fresh out of jail probably not unless you have good bribe money. Its a big deal then just do like all the rest. Come on down and dont go back. Keep a good amount of cash in your back pocket in case you run into the cops. Unless you resume your past criminal career you will be ok. The DR is full of current and ex criminals from all over the place. The US unloads them by the plane load in SD after they serve their time in US prisons.

Cltaylor23

Feb 17, 2010
Then his friend is full of ****. NEVER HAPPENED.

I highly doubt it happened as well. I can imagine someone being turned away and them saying it was for a DWI but I know for a fact they let people in with this and worse.

I was more curious about actual residency or citizenship. I know anyone can get a tourist card.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I thought you just needed a letter from a police station that you were a good student and had no out standing warrants. What is with the FBI?
Dui's or a small dope charge could keep u from getting a resident?

Cltaylor23

Feb 17, 2010
I thought you just needed a letter from a police station that you were a good student and had no out standing warrants. What is with the FBI?

From my understanding, a certificate of good conduct is only issued when someone has no criminal record while I believe someone who has a record could get a certificate of relief. Of course they may also just want a copy of your rap sheet. The part that throws me off is that the requirements are often described in a slightly different fashion.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For what it's worth, I found it hard to believe as well. But I was a little more respectful in expressing my doubts.

One small question. If you found it hard to believe why did you post it as fact? Or even post it at all? Some people actually use the information posted here in their lives as facts.

It's probably a crap-shoot...you have to have an FBI Background check that you have appostilled and taken the Dominican Embassy/Consulate for the Visa. If the personnel at the Embassy/Consulate don't like what they see, they WILL NOT grant the Visa. Remember, it is a matter of perception on the part of the person reviewing the application and FBI report.

When I applied in 2012 all I needed was a letter from the Sheriff's Department of the county in Florida where I had last resided before moving to the DR. I sent it to Tallahassee to be apostilled before submitting it to my Dominican attorney in Santiago.

Maybe now it's different and it needs to be from the FBI but a letter from the local police, apostilled by the state that the police agency is in, was all that was needed three years ago.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I was told by an attorney at Guzman that I needed an apostilled FBI background check. This is done by having prints taken at any police station. then sending them to the FBI, waiting like 12 weeks....then sending the report to the State department to be apostilled.

The attorney told me that misdemeanors are no problem - they have had clients with up to 10 who have been accepted. The issues that they are looking for are SERIOUS crimes - particularly violent ones.

And while it may be true that it will all depend on the whim of the guy at the visa desk at the Consulate - I suspect that having a top attorney's firm be your "guarantor" will go a long way in the process.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
We were told by one consulate (in NY) that we'd need an FBI check. However, when we got around to actually applying through Miami we just submitted a background check from our local Sheriff's office in Florida. No questions asked. Had work visas in about a week. This was as of 2 months ago.

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

dont think misd. count unless its for :murder"

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It depends on the nature of the offence and whether it is a single occurrence or one of several.

Work/student visas have a threshold that needs to be met. Residency has a different threshold. For one type, you come, you do, and then you eventually go. The other, you come and you stay. Those staying get more specific scrutiny than those who will eventually leave.

A misdemeanour is not usually an automatic barrier to success unless the charge contains to word "drug", is indicative of violence towards others or pertains to the propensity to breach the trust placed in you by others such as an employer or someone else to whom you have a fiduciary responsibility. Most of these offences do not result in misdemeanours unless by way of a plea bargain.