Legalization of University documents

eldorada

Mar 9, 2005
I have been trying to get a degree legalized for almost 4 months. I have finally received the (numero de oficio) and proceeded to the Ministry to pay for it. At first I was given a price of $795.00 pesos which was what everyone was paying. However, when it was my turn I was told that it would be in American dollars since I am a foreigner.
I tried to figure out how this could be since $795 pesos will be less than $50.00 USD so I asked why and was given a slip of paper that said if your cedula says "no vota"then you pay in dollars. I left without paying since I didn't have that kind of money on me. I have since tried to get a copy of the "tarifa", all of it shows is the cost for Dominicans and Haitians, but when it got to foreigners it just says "la misma cantidad pero en dolares".
Has anyone else have this issue? How could something that cost $795. pesos be worth $795. dollars just because you are a foreigner? How does one interpret the same amount but in dollars?
I need this document but can not pay $795.00 USD for the legalization of a degree from a local university, that is $35,576.25 pesos! How is that the same as $795.00 pesos? Help!!!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would take the case to the legal advisor at the Ministry. If you are a legal resident, regardless of whether you are a foreigner you should not be charged more. I doubt they have any legal base to discriminate against you that way. You could appeal to your foreign embassy and place a complaint for discrimination against you as a legal resident.

It is interesting that you point out the truth that Haitians are treated like Dominicans for education matters, a privilege never mentioned by those that blast the Dominican Republic's treatment of Haitians.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have been trying to get a degree legalized for almost 4 months. I have finally received the (numero de oficio) and proceeded to the Ministry to pay for it. At first I was given a price of $795.00 pesos which was what everyone was paying. However, when it was my turn I was told that it would be in American dollars since I am a foreigner.
I tried to figure out how this could be since $795 pesos will be less than $50.00 USD so I asked why and was given a slip of paper that said if your cedula says "no vota"then you pay in dollars. I left without paying since I didn't have that kind of money on me. I have since tried to get a copy of the "tarifa", all of it shows is the cost for Dominicans and Haitians, but when it got to foreigners it just says "la misma cantidad pero en dolares".
Has anyone else have this issue? How could something that cost $795. pesos be worth $795. dollars just because you are a foreigner? How does one interpret the same amount but in dollars?
I need this document but can not pay $795.00 USD for the legalization of a degree from a local university, that is $35,576.25 pesos! How is that the same as $795.00 pesos? Help!!!

I think you are confused? rd795 is less than $20usd. It sounds like you did not understand what they were asking? I doubt they wanted $795usd but the equivilant of usd that equals rd795. It sounds like they are giving you the run around. Go back with us funds and get it done.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i have never heard of the concept of getting a college degree legalized. please tell me why this is necessary.

eldorada

Mar 9, 2005
Thank you Dolores for your response. LTSteve I truly wish I was confused, but I am not. I do have the documents and hand written notes from the clerk. The gorgon, when one graduates from a local university you are given a certificate at the ceremony. After that, if you require an official document, you apply for it and it must be legalized by the ministry of higher education. I too had never heard of it until now, but that is how it is here. I only wish that a number would be used instead of an ambiguous statement to determine the price a foreigner pays for legalization. I still hope the legal experts on this site would weigh in on this matter.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
i have never heard of the concept of getting a college degree legalized. please tell me why this is necessary.

The legalization comes from the superior studies Ministry, the one that certifies the universities, is a certification from the Government that validates Your degree and the university you chose. there is no PRUEBAS NACIONALES at university level.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Thank you Dolores for your response. LTSteve I truly wish I was confused, but I am not. I do have the documents and hand written notes from the clerk. The gorgon, when one graduates from a local university you are given a certificate at the ceremony. After that, if you require an official document, you apply for it and it must be legalized by the ministry of higher education. I too had never heard of it until now, but that is how it is here. I only wish that a number would be used instead of an ambiguous statement to determine the price a foreigner pays for legalization. I still hope the legal experts on this site would weigh in on this matter.

I did that for my degree and is similar, although I'm Dominican, I paid a fee to the university to get the documents introduced and have the oficio, then I went to the Office on Santiago, Paid the fee you mention and they sent the paperwork back to that office.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The legalization comes from the superior studies Ministry, the one that certifies the universities, is a certification from the Government that validates Your degree and the university you chose. there is no PRUEBAS NACIONALES at university level.

there is no such thing as a PRUEBAS NACIONALES at university level in any country i know of. i guess with so many garage universities sprouting up like weeds all over the country, someone has to stipulate that the degree that a person has is worth the paper it is written on, if in fact it is.