Cyprus
Timor
Ireland
Borneo
New Guinea

There are probably more.

Aug 6, 2006
Not actually true:
There are Sint Maartin/Saint-Martin, Borneo, which has THREE nations on it (Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei) and Papua New Guinea, Timor (Indonesia and Timor Leste) in addition to the RD.

The author should study geography a bit more.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
He can't be serious - no one could possibly believe that DR and Haiti will become one happy country.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Debate is heating up…

Foreign Minister Andres Navarro, speaking for the Dominican Republic cancelled a meeting at the OAS next week on grounds that the recent statement by Secretary General Luis Almagro that "when there is an island, there cannot be two countries" shows his strong bias against Dominican migratory policy.
Navarro said that the statement shows his ignorance of world geopolitics, the history of Haiti and the Dominican Republic, and extreme recklessness in his condition as top executive of a regional body such as the OAS. He said the statement brings a bias to the report of the mission that visited recently.
Foreign Minister called a press conference at the Presidential Palace to reject the recent statements made on interviews with CNN Espanol.
He said that from days before his appointment to the OAS, Almagro was known to have a negative opinion of the Dominican migratory policies. With the new statements, he is disqualified as a mediator and damages the image of the OAS in our nation and the region, said the Foreign Minister.
“We have said before there cannot be dialogue with the Republic of Haiti while the government of Haiti continues to attack and discredit the Dominican Republic. And after the statements of Luis Almagro there is no possibility for the OAS to fulfill a role in this situation.
He declined participating in a meeting called by Luis Almagro next week in Washington, D.C.. He said Almagro's recent statements make impossible any constructive dialogue.
He reiterated that the migratory policy of the country is exclusive of the Dominican Republic.
Also present at the press conference was Minister of Interior and Police Jose Fadul and Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo and Administrative Minister of the Presidency Jose Ramon Peralta.
Gobierno dominicano rechaza categ?ricamente declaraciones Secretario General OEA

Read more about Almagro's statements in DR1 Daily News of 17 July 2015:
http://dr1.com/premium/news/2015/dnews071715.shtml

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Luis Almagro in his Twitter account says what he said was taken out of context.

His quote:

"Es una isla, realmente cuando es una isla no hay dos pa?ses, hay un solo pa?s, aunque sea una isla grande como Australia. Esto es una isla peque?a con dos pa?ses, con realidades sociales muy diferentes con realidades econ?micas muy diferentes, con realidades pol?ticas muy diferentes."

"It is an island, really when there is an island there are not two countries, only one country, even if it is big island such as Australia. This is a small island with two countries, with very different social, economic and political realities."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXfRxlv52jY

Could it be that after he said the first sentence, he tried to correct it with the second sentence admitting the two countries are very different?

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I my opinion he did or didn't he study geography, obviously he's back peddling.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
On a positive side, in the interview he did say that the problem needs to be corrected at the source. That is by documenting people in Haiti and creating conditions in Haiti so less people need to migrate.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Um, it's an island.

Walls don't work so well on an island.

Show me a ten foot wall, I'll show you an eleven foot ladder - or a five foot deep tunnel....

Frankly, I'd save the millions (or billions) on a wall, and focus on increasing trade. Illegal Haitians are looking for work and food, not to conquer some country. Perhaps create a "Zona Franca" just on the Haitian side of the border. The wealth class makes a fortune and a half, while the Haitians get relatively decent and safe work, and get to stay home.

Sort of the same thing the North and South Koreans do in Kaesong, minus the massed armies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaesong_Industrial_Region

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Um, it's an island.

Show me a ten foot wall, I'll show you an eleven foot ladder - or a five foot deep tunnel....

Frankly, I'd save the millions (or billions) on a wall, and focus on increasing trade. Illegal Haitians are looking for work and food, not to conquer some country. Perhaps create a "Zona Franca" just on the Haitian side of the border. The wealth class makes a fortune and a half, while the Haitians get relatively decent and safe work, and get to stay home.

Sort of the same thing the North and South Koreans do in Kaesong, minus the massed armies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaesong_Industrial_Region

There are a number of "zona franca" enterprises in Haiti.........more than a few of them have moved their operations to Haiti from the DR because the incentives are better and the labour is cheaper

Aug 6, 2006
One thing Marx was right about is that capitalists are perpetually in a race to the bottom. A race to get the prime materials as cheaply as possible, and to hire labor as cheaply as possible.
So it makes sense to move from the DR to Haiti.

One result of this is the products produce also become cheesier and less well made. I have noticed that clothespins are all made in China now, and they are smaller and more poorly made: the spring metal used to be galvanized and never rusted: now they rust. The wood is lighter and last less longer before it breaks.

Plastic clothespins are made of a poor quality plastic that decompose in the sun.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Um, it's an island.

not to mention a canoe.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
10wjyix.jpg
[/IMG]

OK. Exaggerating now...