Stopped by Police--Labor Visa and Driver's License Question

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Today on the way back home from Merca Santo Domingo (which is superb, by the way), a Policia Nacional duo peered into my window, noticed I am gringo, and pulled me over. That kind of chaps my hind end a bit, but that's another story for another day. The younger of the two asked me for my documentation (registration, insurance, and DL). I handed him everything, including my DL from the state from which I am from in the US. I don't have a Dominican driver's license (DL), but I don't have a c?dula, either. Anyway, he told me asked me when I arrived in the country, and I honestly did not know how to respond. I travel with my job, and the most recently arrived back in the country on July 8. He told me I had ninety days to get my DL. When I asked him if it was ninety days from the first day I arrived back in January under my Labor Visa or if the process reset each time I arrive back in the country, he couldn't tell me.

What's the deal here? Do I need a Dominican DL, or do I just drive on my US DL? If so, how do I get the license without a c?dula? Will the US Embassy certify a State-issued DL? I apologize if this exact scenario has been discussed here previously. However, I was unable to find anything that addresses it.

A recap:

I have a one-year labor visa
I arrived in DR in January
I travel frequently
I arrived back to DR after my most recent trip July 8
I have 90 to get a license
But from what point?

Gracias mil por su ayuda.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Those are great questions. To my knowledge a cedula/residency is a requirement to get a DR license. Hopefully the specifics of your situation will be illumnated by someone who knows. Otherwise check with your local migracion office and with your employer and let us know what you find out.

The US Embassy will not validate your license. That much I am sure about.

If you are in and out of the country frequently that is in your favor using your US license.
We need to verify if it is valid for 30 or 90 days. I think it may only be 30 days.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
As far as I know, Policia Nationale are not the one regulating traffic violations... It's the AMET who's in charge... Maybe these guys were full of it...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It is clear the law says you may use the license from your home country for 90 days. After that you must have a DR driver license. I do not know how the 90 days resets when you leave the country for some time. (The ninety days starts the day you enter the DR - that is why he asked you what day you entered.)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As far as I know, Policia Nationale are not the one regulating traffic violations... It's the AMET who's in charge... Maybe these guys were full of it...

Yeah, well tell THEM that, we've been pulled over in Santo Domingo by PN more than once.

Feb 7, 2007
Well, they cannot fine you, they cannot impound you, all they can is ask you for a bribe (or insinuate it). If they think something is wrong, I would insist they write a ticket (which they cannot as they don't have any). A long time resident after several years living here, should know at least a police (or military) captain (preferably higher) whom he can call for the situations where crooked cops try to pull one on you. It's really not that difficult to get to know one ... someone, somewhere, can make a connection ... your mechanic, neighbor, priest, etc. In my daughter's mother's family, there are at least 3 higher-ranks PN/military officers. If you try hard enough, you can find that connection, and after several months of trust building, you could somewhat rely on that connection. By trust building I don't mean handing out money or "help", but inviting for picnics, dominoes, Sunday brunches, etc.

Last edited:

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Yeah, well tell THEM that, we've been pulled over in Santo Domingo by PN more than once.

Fortunately, a Dominican friend was with me and my family. He pointed out that the PN are for "seguridad" y AMET es for "tr?nsito", and that I could have asked for AMET to have been called to cite or ticket me. I want to make sure I'm following the law, but for the life of me, this is SUCH A GREY AREA.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Well, they cannot fine you, they cannot impound you, all they can is ask you for a bribe (or insinuate it). If they think something is wrong, I would insist they write a ticket (which they cannot as they don't have any). A long time resident after several years living here, should know at least a police captain whom he can call for the situations where crooked cops try to pull one on you.

El tipo me minti?! After finding out that I had been here since January, he said that they would have to "retener mi veh?culo" until I could take care of my license issue. He was looking for a bribe, which is why he pulled me over in the first place. Unfortunately, I did give him some money. I'm frustrated at that, but I didn't feel like spending any amount of time on the side of a busy SD avenue with perishable fruits, vegetables, and meats sitting in the back of my Jeepeta. I'll strike it up to gringo tax, but I'd REALLY like to know about the license issue. The fact that I was exploited is another issue, and I can deal with that. I'm sure the guy was hungry and probably needed the money more than I. Who knows? He's the one that has to live with himself and his tomfoolery.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the law states the license is valid for 90 days from when you enter the country, then it is valid for 90 days from your last entry.

How to get a DR license with only a work visa is then what needs to be answered if you here for more than 90 days at a time.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
El tipo me minti?! After finding out that I had been here since January, he said that they would have to "retener mi veh?culo" until I could take care of my license issue. He was looking for a bribe, which is why he pulled me over in the first place. Unfortunately, I did give him some money. I'm frustrated at that, but I didn't feel like spending any amount of time on the side of a busy SD avenue with perishable fruits, vegetables, and meats sitting in the back of my Jeepeta. I'll strike it up to gringo tax, but I'd REALLY like to know about the license issue. The fact that I was exploited is another issue, and I can deal with that. I'm sure the guy was hungry and probably needed the money more than I. Who knows? He's the one that has to live with himself and his tomfoolery.

Was it the 'Churchill NP' lot who plague Churchill, Lincoln and 27th?

I was told it is a 90 day reset.

Doubt if you can get DR license (through work permit) without cedula because they use the cedula numbers.

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well, on the license part, no idea, sorry.

Just so you know, once the DL acquired, it changes nothing.......
There will still be the odd PN or AMET who stops you for a handout.....
If its not your DL, then it will be your tinted windows or a fictive red light or whatever.....

As you rightly pointed out, there are days where I will take the bother to argue ( and not pay a bribe ), other days I'll take the easy way out and pay 200-250 pesos, just to be on my way ( even if I think it is wrong ).

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The juez explained the 90 day thing in detail to me one time in traffic court. But, since I had not been in the country for more than 90 days, it was not a problem.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
If the law states the license is valid for 90 days from when you enter the country, then it is valid for 90 days from your last entry.

How to get a DR license with only a work visa is then what needs to be answered if you here for more than 90 days at a time.

That's the way I understand the law to be, as well. However, I would love to see the statute, print it out, and keep it in my vehicle for when this happens again. That way, I can show the officer proof that I'm in the right.

Windeguy, I really appreciate your insight. Do you happen to be an attorney. It appears like you have a lot of knowledge. I thoroughly appreciate your help.

Rasputin

Jan 27, 2015
My employee manual states that tourists may drive on a foreign license for 30 days equivalent to the time that their tourist visa is valid. Employees in country on a work permit may drive for a maximum period of 90 consecutive days from the date of entry stamped in the passport. If an employee is in country for a period longer than 90 consecutive days and needs to drive for company business, we are instructed to contact the HR department.

We are told that our foreign license may not be considered valid by the authorities unless we are able to show our stamped entry date in our passport at the time and place the driver's license is requested.

It sounds like the current entry stamp is the determining factor.

Later in the same manual it is stated that laws and requirements change frequently and while the company tries to keep the information current, it may not be. Usually the employees on a work permit are only in country for a month or two at a time and perform specialized services that are not required all the time. Those foreign employees who are needed for longer than 90 days at a time all seem to be covered under some other sort of visa or agreement. This is senior management and maybe 2 dozen highly skilled technical supervisors and their families. Everyone else is locally sourced.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Was it the 'Churchill NP' lot who plague Churchill, Lincoln and 27th?

I was told it is a 90 day reset.

Doubt if you can get DR license without cedula because they use the cedula numbers.

It was near the Duarte/Luper?n interchange.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014

If its not your DL, then it will be your tinted windows or a fictive red light or whatever.....

As you rightly pointed out, there are days where I will take the bother to argue ( and not pay a bribe ), other days I'll take the easy way out and pay 200-250 pesos, just to be on my way ( even if I think it is wrong ).

....and this is Paradise! I guess being gringo means being a target.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

200/250rd seems right when out and about but I am informed that 600rd is the norm to PN in SDO by a Dominican friend.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
200/250rd seems right when out and about but I am informed that 600rd is the norm to PN in SDO by a Dominican friend.

It cost me $RD 500. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that. There were two officers; so it was $RD 250 a piece. Hey, I don't feel soooo bad now!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's the way I understand the law to be, as well. However, I would love to see the statute, print it out, and keep it in my vehicle for when this happens again. That way, I can show the officer proof that I'm in the right.

Windeguy, I really appreciate your insight. Do you happen to be an attorney. It appears like you have a lot of knowledge. I thoroughly appreciate your help.

No, not an attorney (retired MSEE). Just someone who has had to deal first hand with some of the processes to live here. We also have some experience helping people who start out renting from us and then want to stay here permanently.

I now see where the 30 and 90 day valid driving license periods can be confused. The tourist visa is currently 30 days and the driver's license valid period is the same 30 days for a tourist visa. For those with a longer term visa (or residency) the license is valid for 90 days after each entry to the country.