BAHIA PRINCIPE Resort

mark

Jan 9, 2002
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at this resort or if they've heard anything about... good or bad
We are staying there the 16th - 23rd of Jan.
Wish I'd found this board before booking the trip.
Thanks

mark

Jan 9, 2002
Thanks Dave

I actually found that site last night and spent a good hour going through the reviews. Some negative for sure but the majority were positive with some being "it was just ok, nothing special"
That said, the negative reviews seemed to be a little old and I'm hoping that the food etc has gotten better.
We paid $899 per person out of Vancouver for a week so even if the food is just ok and the odd cockroach slips into our room, I think we'll be fine... pretty sweet deal eh?

Mark

DHiltz

Jan 10, 2002
Good Deal!

I agree Mark!

I read through some of the more recent reviews and you are right, the reports seem to be getting a lot better. When we were considering this property (1999) they were much more negative. That review about the cockroach was pretty funny, eh?

At $900 for the trip from Vancouver, you got a great deal. I haven't seen anything that cheap from Halifax, and we are a lot closer to the DR than you! Ask for a room off the ground floor...we have never had problems with bugs when we have done this.

Hope you have a great vacation. The wife and I, along with 16 others from NS (actually, one of them is from Vancouver, he is flying to Halifax to meet his girlfriend and leaving from here...long trip!) are going to the Breezes Costa Verde in Holguin, Cuba in late Feb, and we can't wait.

Cheers!

Dave

mark

Jan 9, 2002
Thanks for the advice re: second floor.
I asked my travel agent to put in the request and it was no problem. Got a queen size bed as well. Figured if I was asking for the bigger bed and second level, hell might as well ask for an ocean view... but to no avail LOL! Hey 2 out of 3 aint bad.

You guys enjoy your trip to Cuba. I went 5 years ago and had a blast. Varradero was ok but I especially enjoyed Havana. Never seen so much spandex. The people are great although the city looks like it survived a nuclear holocaust.

Don't for get to bring back the cigars. Your pals will never let you live it down if ya don't. On that note, be very careful buying cigars off the street. Most often very poor quality. Cigars in the Govt stores are a lot more but relative to the price in Canada are cheaper. that and you know they are good quality.

Mark

DHiltz

Jan 10, 2002
Yup!

Yeah, big bed is definitely a must! We were lucky enough to get a king when we were at the Bavaro Grand in Punta Cana in '01, but usually we end up pushing the two beds together to make one big one.

I never found the travel agents very helpful in room selection...if you can, get an e-mail/phone number for guest services and fax the resort directly.

This is our second visit to Cuba, but both times we have gone to the Northeast area of the Island so we haven't had the chance to see Havana yet (it was a USD$200 excursion from resort, a little pricey for my tastes). I did get to Baracoa where Colombus supposedly landed, that was kind of neat, especially the ride there in the 50's Russian Biplane to get there! LOL!! Good thing I had extra shorts with me!

Good advice on the cigars...I brought a mixed box back last trip (Cohiba, Upman, Monticristo, etc) and, although it was more expensive buying from a reputible store, the quality was worth it!

Dave