Best Route: Santo Domingo to Cabarete

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
How is the highway between La Vega and Moca? I'm planning to go from SD to Cabarete and google gives me the Samana highway or through Bonao/Santiago/POP. I'm assuming going from La Vega through Moca is more scenic, but is worth going that way vs Santiago? Any info. is much appreciated.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How is the highway between La Vega and Moca? I'm planning to go from SD to Cabarete and google gives me the Samana highway or through Bonao/Santiago/POP. I'm assuming going from La Vega through Moca is more scenic, but is worth going that way vs Santiago? Any info. is much appreciated.

The last time I took it 6 months ago, the road was OK, but some pot holes were opening up. It is quicker than the Santiago route. You might also consider the new highway up from SD to near Las Terrenas and then head west along the north coast to Cabarete. That is the quickest way to do it.

I love the moca, use it at least 4 times a month to Santiago but I live closer to Sabaneta than Cab. I would still suggest it though, my least fav route in the country is the Santiago to POP route.

I agree with windy about the new highway from SD as well, that is the best way in my opinion from SD going through Nagua...

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks so much. I asked around a bit and most people told me the Moca way is dangerous, but I prefer scenery and I think I'll go Moca anyway. I'll also consider the Las Terrenas route, I went that way to Samana in February and it was a beautiful drive.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
The Moca way is not so dangerous. A bit hilly and some sharp turns so you cannot speed too much. You may have a small truck in front of you and you have to be careful when passing. The views are great!

I do think that it is one of DR's nicest scenic routes!

Bonao-Santiago-POP will get you there quick as well and the road is good. Samana route is also a fast route with a good road.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Route 21 out of Moca to Sabaneta is a great ride, just go in the daytime and enjoy the scenery.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Samana highway needs to be driven at the posted speeds of 80 km and 50 km (Los Haitises curves). If you drive at those maximum speeds, it will not be stressful. This toll road probably has the record of most road accidents… it is a beautiful road that seems an easy one… but is not so. Now there are many road patrols enforcing the speeds.

I find the stress of driving on the curves of the Moca road not worth the shorter distance. Also, getting through Moca is always confusing. You have to ask and ask to not get lost.

If you are new to the DR, I would recommend taking the Santo Domingo-Santiago (Circunvalacion de Santiago)-Puerto Plata route via Navarrete. It is straight going, you just need to watch for the signs for the Circunvalacion and then for the turn to the right to get on the Puerto Plata road. When you get to the north coast, then you take a right and it is straight going until you get to Cabarete.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A nice bonus when taking the Moca road is stopping at one of the scenic restaurants at the top of the mountain. The first one on your left to me has the best food. Forgot the name.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The restaurant I like at La Cumbre is called El Molino. Beautiful view if you get there as the sun is going down so that you see the valley in the daylight and then watch as the lights come on below. The only problem is that you then have to finish the drive in the dark, which can be difficult and misses the rest of the beautiful route.

Take a map as I would disagree with Harleysrock - there are a few places you can get lost, first in Moca and then there are a couple of unmarked right turns afterwards.

I would use that route from SD to Cabarete, but the east coast Samana highway if coming from Las Americas airport.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've gone that way, through Moca and up over the mountain, a couple of times, last time was in March. We had two very close calls with trucks coming towards us over the 'line' in the road, and it spooked us enough that we came home along the beach from Cabarete to POP and then down through Santiago, much longer.

We also were stopped on the way up by police - our windows are all tinted, and when Mr. AE rolled down his window the cop hesitated a few moments [Mr. AE doesn't have a friendly face, he probably scowled at him, lol] before asking him "Are you military?". When Mr. AE shook his head and said no, he brazenly asked for some money for breakfast.

Harley, even though we've done it before, we missed the turn to Jamao - twice!

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
The restaurant I like at La Cumbre is called El Molino. Beautiful view if you get there as the sun is going down so that you see the valley in the daylight and then watch as the lights come on below. The only problem is that you then have to finish the drive in the dark, which can be difficult and misses the rest of the beautiful route.

I had decent lunch at Caffeto. Great view indeed. Will try El Molino next time!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks again everyone. I will stop at the restaurant if I take the Moca highway. Pretty sure I will, sounds like caution is needed but worthwhile nonetheless.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Auryn - we have recently travelled the route from Las America Airport - Santo Domingo to Cabarete . If you are comming into Las Americas Airport it is about 3 hours 40 mins to Cabarete and as Dolores
says the speed limits on the road towards Samana are about right for a comfortable drive.The real problem is the access road to this highway from Las Americas direction . There is just am small slip road off to the right with just a sign saying Samana. You must take this otherwise you have to put in about 28 Km before your can turn.

We found it reasonable but the tolls are significant on this road.

Olly and the Team