Huge Resort planned for Semana ?????

toejambb

Jan 9, 2002
I read an article in the Miami Herald, within the past month concerning a huge multi- billion dollar resort planned for the east coast of the DR. All the ducks were lined up and ready to go! The thing that was very confusing was the location of said resort. The article had a crude little map that seemed to desegnate the Semana are; the article seemed to say the "east coast. Can anybody clear this up??? thanks

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
Juanillo

There's something in the archives about it. I don't think is Samana, is more like Punta Cana, in the area of Juanillo. It's suppose to be huge, around 47 square miles?- or about the size of Disney World. They say this is the one that's gonna make DR table conversation for Americans. As you know or may not, Americans have never looked at the DR as a great tourist destination. Only 30% of tourists comes from the US.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, it is in the Punta Cana region. Plans are for a huge complex with several marinas, hotels, amusement park, etc., etc., etc. Whether it actually gets built remains to be seen. During the 16 years I've been living in the DR, I have seen many grandiose projects announced that have never gotten beyond the PR stage.

Ken

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Samana also has a large harbor and downtown tousist development project that has been underway for several years now. In addition to news items about the mega project that may be found in DR1's news archives, Samana Net provides periodic local reports of this and other projects in the Samana area. Our latest report should be posted in the What's New section soon.