The Best Shopping Experience at Punta Cana

What's the best shopping center in B?varo-Punta Cana?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Which shopping center in the B?varo-Punta Cana tourist district has the best selection of stores or offer the best shopping experience? What makes it better than the other shopping centers?

If 'other,' feel free to mention the shopping center and why do you think its the best one in the area.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
As it is now, they are more or less equal - only because Palma Real has the supermarket Plaza Lama now. Before that Palma Real was really just for tourists - many stores with expensive stuff you don't need- they did not have a super market. Plaza San Juan has similar shops upstairs, but they tend to be more practical. And they have a dentist office. (And, has that water feature at Palma Real ever had functioning water in it - makes the whole place look neglected to have something that does not work - it could certainly add to the ambiance which sure was the intention).

Plaza San Juan will clearly win out as they build more stuff around what is there now - they will have a much bigger variety of things to do and things to buy. I think it is a Jumbo they are building now. And that is a very good place to shop, better imo than Super Pola.

Don't know anything about Galerias Punta Cana. Except my friend's car gotten broken into there once. Could happen anywhere I guess.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think Galer?as Puntacana will go the same way that The Puntacana Hotel went, which is replaced by a larger and better place owned by Grupo Puntacana in alliance with another firm that specializes in the particular business model. The Puntacana Hotel was replaced by The Westin Puntacana Resort, and Galer?as Puntacana may be replaced by the Blue Mall Puntacana currently under construction a stone throw away.

BMPuntacana will open in a few months, but for obvious reasons I didn't included it in the poll. Once BMPuntacana opens, if anyone here changes their mind regarding the best shopping center in the area, feel free to mention that with a comment.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Plaza San Juan has Banco Popular, Super Pola, and Corripio in one stop. Jumbo in La Romana provides all these in one store. Upstairs several banks, farmacia inside, good electronics department, and groceries. And, good prices on certain days. And, of course, cheap clothes for the kids and mom if that is your style : )

They also have lots of good wine and cheese for people that come from Casa de Campo. Jumbo is closest for them. Probably won't have that same selection here, but maybe... Depends on demand.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Who is building Blue Mall? It is hard to believe Grupo Punta Cana would let this happen right next to Galerias if they are not involved in BM somehow. I would think Grupo owned the land where Blue Mall is being built if it is right next door. I seem to remember it being farther away though. I have only seen it once - I don't get out that way much.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rainieri and Velutini are behind BMPuntacana. Its not right next to Galer?as Puntacana, but its close enough that many people night opt to go to BM instead of Galer?as.

All the land including the airport and south to the northern edge of Cap Cana is owned by Grupo Puntacana.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
This POLL is irrelevant once the "Blue Mall" opens up in 6 months... Currently PRV beats SJP by a mile... the only difference being the pola beats the plaza lama by a mile... but overall for STORES PRV has SJP over a barrel.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
W shop stores that offer the products we want at the prices we want with the service we want. It does not get any simpler than that.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Palma Real does have a lot better stores than PSJ. But anything you buy there you are getting robbed blind.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Palma Real does have a lot better stores than PSJ. But anything you buy there you are getting robbed blind.
Yes I agree, and both malls sell "seconds" inventory not wanted most other places in North America.. BUT! The poll was what is the best mall... its PRV hands down.. not to mention there are 4 restaurants to PSJ 1.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Depends on what you're shopping for. I don't remember the last time I bought anything at Palma Real. Stuff is too expensive for me and I've never been into brand clothes anyways. Been ages since I've bought any clothes at Plaza San Juan too but I do my groceries there once weekly, have gone to Ikea numerous times, Corripio ditto, the cinema almost weekly, Pharmax every few weeks, eat at Chef Pepper, Pizza Hut and the new place that replaced Garum pretty regularly too. Used to pay my electricity there too and go by BHD every few months. So far this year I've eaten at Palma Real once when I had family down and wanted to take them out for supper and haven't been back since. So for me and my needs, Plaza San Juan rules right now.