Nutramigen powdered milk question for a newborn...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A friend of mine has a newborn in Santiago and his wife told him the pediatrician prescribed Nutramigen powdered milk for some intestinal issue. The problem is this stuff costs an arm and a leg (this particular brand is imported I believe, hence the cost), and my friend is looking for a less expensive alternative.

Supposedly, this stuff is to be mixed with "agua de cal" from some company called Farmacia Jorge S.R.I., which only adds to the expense.

The powdered milk contains something called "Enflora LGG" which is suppsoed to manage colic from an allergy to cow's milk.

A few questions-

1) Is there a domestic maker of this type of powdered milk?

2) Does this stuff have to mixed with agua de cal or can it be mixed with regular water?

3) What is agua de cal, and how does it different from regular water?

4) How long would a child need to drink this type of milk if he either has colic? Could the intestinal issue be from lactose intolerance?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Curious, did the Doctor recommend against breast milk?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Breast is always best. I mean? Decades of studies show---without question--- that breast-fed babies are healthier, develop better immunity, bond best with mother, and wind up smarter. It is always available; you can pump and freeze so other family members can deliver in bottles; you mix it with pureed foods when baby can hold head up, etc.

I was a formula-fed baby of the 1950s, and my mother told me,when I had my child in the 90s and there was no question that I would not nurse,that she deeply regretted giving in to the received wisdom of the time.

20 Benefits of Breastfeeding | Fit Pregnancy

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I asked about that. If I recall correctly the answer was vague. I too wondered about that.

Would breast milk be a viable alternative in terms of the baby being lactose intolerant? I have no idea.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Berzin, one of my grandsons had intestinal issues and was on Nutramigen for a time. It can certainly be mixed with water, but in DR I'd only use the Aqua Orbis in the blue gallon [for any formula actually]. Breast milk is always best, but by the time his problems surfaced the mother's milk had stopped so it wasn't an option, and may be the same with the Santiago girl.

If it works, the baby may be on it until a year or so. I hope it actually works, because if it doesn't the next step is an amino acid mix that is ridiculously expensive in the US, cost close to $2,000 a MONTH, but thankfully insurance covered the bulk of it here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
agua orbis is the water normally used for mixing with the formula.

i run a quick search on alternatives to nutramigen and it seems they are all hell expensive (similac alimentum and neocate lcp). in DR there are few formulas for babies with digestive issues and/or allergy to lactose. i would suggest consulting another pediatrician to ask for alternatives and/or check what the issue is. is the child simply allergic and may take soy or lactose free formula? or does it suffer from more serious digestive issue and should/could be medicated?

Apr 7, 2014
I asked about that. If I recall correctly the answer was vague. I too wondered about that.

Would breast milk be a viable alternative in terms of the baby being lactose intolerant? I have no idea.
Convincing her to breast feed is a fools errand. She wont listen to you, she will only heed what the other ignorant women in her household say. Besides if she didnt have a vaginal delivery then she missed the window for breast feeding. And since many people here have Caesareans....the body never stimulates the breasts to lactate.

Im not familiar with Nutramagen but if a child is lactose intolerant(which is rare for Dominicans but normal for Americans) there is a soy based polvo de leche. It is costly also maybe $10-12 per can. Of course purified water is best.
Agua de cal? Is that caliente or calidad? I think calidad...so purified/distilled.

If you were so disposed I think maybe you could bring a few cans of the soy formula and some diapers. I know Pathmark and Target have great deals on disposable diapers. The soy formula fortified with BHD is available almost everywhere.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They normally don't recommend the Nutramigen until after they've tried the soy formulas and other alternatives, it's probably more than lactose problems/may have nothing to do with lactose. Today my grandson can eat/drink everything/anything, there was just something as an infant that regular formulas caused extreme intestinal distress. [We had to take him to Children's Hospital in Philadelphia for all kinds of tests that was traumatic for everyone.] By the time he was a year old we had begun the transition to regular milk, and no problems since [he's 9 now].

When she had the second grandson she didn't take chances, she breastfed, and no problems.

Apr 7, 2014

Oh yea and the intolerance is due to the powdered milk formula or cow milk having sugars that irritate the intestines, causing expulsion(diarrhea) and gas. This leaves the person with loose stool and discomfort trying to metabolize the fat in the milk.

Diarrhea is dangerous overall because it leads to dehydration and electrolytic imbalance, but more so in children because they cannot express this or remedy it on their own.

No child is ALLERGIC to breast milk. They have wet nurses in some places where another woman is paid to feed someone's children by breast. This was also one of the most devilnacious things about slavery, but people like to live in the illusion.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
A friend of mine has a newborn in Santiago

kenan-yeahright.gif

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Africaida-no, no es mio. If it was I'd be over there right now. I'm gathering info for a friend who is not a DR1 member. Besides, if I haven't played myself 11 years into the game I'm certainly not going to start now unless the pregnancy is planned.

Since it is too late to breast feed (I believe she never tried, since the baby was put on this milk almost immediately) I guess the Nutramagin is the only alternative.

The next question I have is what is the difference between the brands Dv8 mentioned (similac, alimentum, and neocate lcp) and Nutramigen? If the baby is simply lactose intolerant, can any of the previously mentioned brands be used as a substitute and are any of them less expensive than the Nutramigen?

To answer AE's question, no, no other alternatives (goat's milk or soy) were tried, and I doubt highly that the mother would even consider it unless she was told to do so by the pediatrician.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as far as i can understand, nutramigen serves proteins and sugars already broken down for easy digestion and that's what is different about it in comparison to non-lactose milks. this is why i suggested a visit to a pediatrician to check what the issue is.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Convincing her to breast feed is a fools errand. She wont listen to you, she will only heed what the other ignorant women in her household say. Besides if she didnt have a vaginal delivery then she missed the window for breast feeding.

That is not true. I had a C-section and a very successful (and satisfying) year of breastfeeding.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I looked up this product and found that it is produced by Enfamil. If anyone in the US has family/friends who are physicians, the Enfamil manufacturer is very good about providing formula to physicians on request to drug reps - either as patient samples or for use by the physician's family. Perhaps some could be obtained and sent to the DR via this route?

Edited to Add:

As a matter of fact, the doctor who leads the surgical group that visits Puerto Plata every so often with my help is an OB-GYN. She might be able to get some samples and I could bring them with me when I return in the fall.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
berzin, i checked formulas in my local super. i found two milks that have hydrolyzed protein. NAN H.A. that is 407 pesos for a can of 340 grams and nutriben hidrolizada at 644 pesos a can. they are the same size as nutramigen which is well over 800 pesos. the parents can check with a doctor if any of those can work.