Getting From Santiago Airport to Puerto Plata

dezo

Jul 23, 2015
Hello I will be flying in to Santiago Airport next week and I am looking for options to get from the airport to Puerto Plata. There will be two of us at the airport. We are meeting the rest of our group in Puerto Plata.

Should we take a taxi? Is that safe? What is the cost? I heard about the Taxi Mafia so I am not sure if that if a good route to go.

We were also looking into shuttle services or private car services. If anyone can give any suggestions to companies and perhaps websites and an estimate cost that would be great. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Aug 6, 2006
Taxis are safe.
Negotiate prices on the phone or with the driver.
Taxis do not have meters.
Most locals do not tip unless the driver exerts himself with really heavy bags.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Since its 2 of you, why not split a Taxi to Metro bus ( every taxi guy knows where it is) .. 800 pesos or $20 Usd.. if you were alone I would say negotiate to 700 pesos, but not worth the hassle for 2.. make sure the AC works nicely before you load up...
Metro to Puerto Plata is much more comfortable than a Taxi all the way, as you can really rest and relax. 1 1/2 hours later you are in puerto plata. Unless you meant Sosua, then its more like 2 hours.
cost is around 270 pesos per ticket ( $ 6), cant recall exactly at the moment.
Metro ST Autobuses the schedules are on the site..
If you happen to miss a Metro bus, no worries, Caribe Tours bus is like 200 feet down the same street. imo its a no brainer and its foolproof.
But if you prefer taxi figure it will cost you at least $45 US per person. I find they wont negotiate when its 2 or more people with luggage. A single person can maybe get a $70 fare but not 2, imo.

i dont do it to save the money (which is nice though) .. I just enjoy the bus ride more, cuz I arrive totally relaxed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The OP did not state an arrival time. That will greatly influence the options and the price.