How much does a scratch on SUV cost?

Feb 7, 2007
In Higuey, it costs a human life. Not just once, twice.

This afternoon, a man who was with his wife and daughter killed with 2 shots another man, in front of Iberia supermarket, who had just moments before inadvertently scratched with his passola the killer's SUV.

We had a similar case in Higuey like this just after New Year's, where a group of evangelicals from the church going to (coming from?) a retreat accidentally scratched an SUV of owner of "Inversiones la Moto" (a motorcycle sale and loan place) in Higuey. The guy came out and shot the driver of the truck, killing him and injuring others in the process.

In both cases we are talking about light scratches which could have been resolved with less than 5 thousand pesos (and today's case most likely less ...)

So what else is left to say .... Higuey el pueblo de los animales, Dominicana el pais de los salvajes ...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i got a scratch on my jeepeta this week but it did not prompt me to strangle the motoconcho who did that. now, if all of them had just one neck i could be tempted...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well. I lived for 6 month (way too long...) in Higuey. Moto drivers in Higuey behave like a**holes. ALL of them. They cross red lights coming from the right, left, front and behind all of the time thinking they own the road and respecting no rules. 0. AMET does zero to enforce the rules. If this would be the capital they all would be on foot, their motos confiscated.

I am surprised it happened only twice in the last time...

Traffic in Higuey, especially the behaviour of the "drivers" there is the worst I experienced ever. Enjoying the traffic in Santo Domingo now which is way better than Higuey and that means a lot...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Saw a pic on Twitter. Looked like he got shot at least once in the head. Didn't have a chance.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i witnessed one accident w/ car and passola... passola hits car....driver of passola on ground...driver of suv gets out looks at his suv , passola , driver ,, and walks over and picks up the driver and whacks him two or three times...in the head...(punching)him:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:
then calmly walks away and leaves......i thought he was going to run over tha passola for a good measure but didnt...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i was flabbergashted...never saw something like that... guy looks at his brand new jeepeta. sees the scratches...and pounds the driver on the ground a few times... you wanna laugh???ha ha ha lolol

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
Well. I lived for 6 month (way too long...) in Higuey. Moto drivers in Higuey behave like a**holes. ALL of them. They cross red lights coming from the right, left, front and behind all of the time thinking they own the road and respecting no rules. 0. AMET does zero to enforce the rules. If this would be the capital they all would be on foot, their motos confiscated.

I am surprised it happened only twice in the last time...

Traffic in Higuey, especially the behaviour of the "drivers" there is the worst I experienced ever. Enjoying the traffic in Santo Domingo now which is way better than Higuey and that means a lot...

Make sure not to make the deal yourself try to send a local that you can trust,
A scratch should be between 1500 to 2000 pesos.?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014

I'd be interested in reading more of your observations on this point if you feel like expounding a bit.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I verbally lash out ( inside the car to myself or my wife) at these idiots on a daily basis. It's just stress relief , I'm not going to lose my life over road rage or the actions of these idiot drivers here. By venting it relives the stress and becomes water off a ducks back. I actually find driving in Santo Domingo easier because there is less moto traffic. I don't think the temperature has anything to do with it, just lack of respect for others.

I verbally lash out ( inside the car to myself or my wife) at these idiots on a daily basis. It's just stress relief , I'm not going to lose my life over road rage or the actions of these idiot drivers here. By venting it relives the stress and becomes water off a ducks back. I actually find driving in Santo Domingo easier because there is less moto traffic. I don't think the temperature has anything to do with it, just lack of respect for others.

I agree bob, I prefer SD and Santiago bc of less motos, those buggars are EVERYWHERE where I live! grr

Aug 6, 2006
The concept that bad drivers can be educated and/or punished by the use of horns and loudly shouted curses seems to be common in many places. It, however, inaccurate.

The best place where a bad driver can be is in front of you, where you can watch him and protect yourself against future stupidities.

Perhaps it might good for mental health to keep a durable squishy toy in the vehicle to pummel and thrash as a surrogate.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In "Unforgiven" Little Bill says to Willaim Munney "you just shot an unarmed man" Munnys response" he should have armed himself." Time and money invested in a concealed weapon permit is like life insurance. Speak softly and carry a small pistol. If Chip turns out to be correct and there is a heaven I would hate to read my obituary with the word victim after my name. Here we even have an advantge as Dominicans do not expect a gringo to be armed. Imagine dying for a scratch, horrible.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In "Unforgiven" Little Bill says to Willaim Munney "you just shot an unarmed man" Munnys response" he should have armed himself." Time and money invested in a concealed weapon permit is like life insurance. Speak softly and carry a small pistol. If Chip turns out to be correct and there is a heaven I would hate to read my obituary with the word victim after my name. Here we even have an advantge as Dominicans do not expect a gringo to be armed. Imagine dying for a scratch, horrible.

That is so not something to worry about, although I know some people have vivid imaginations.

The here and now, that is the only concern.