U.S. Dollars vs. Canadian Dollars

Gena

Jan 10, 2002
Okay, I'm American and my fiance is Canadian--we'll be warming our toes in the sun in about four weeks.

We had a couple of beers yesterday with his boss, who'd been to Punta Cana in 2001. Da boss says that Canadians are "preferred" in the D.R. over Americans... "...they REALLY don't like Americans there!"... what's up with that? I'm a proud American, and I'm appalled by the superior Canadian attitude I often hear regarding North Americans travelling to other countries (I hear this same comment by Canadians about Americans visiting Germany!). I don't want to start a *flame* contest here, just want to find out if this is true. Help!

Also, he said to bring Canadian dollars for tipping, shopping, etc., but everywhere I look on the Net, people say to bring American dollars. What do you recommend? Both, American, or Canadian?

Thanks!

richard

Jan 1, 2002
My personal opinion is to be careful not to be the "ugly" American, bragging about the U.S. and how great everything is in the States. Canadians have a reputation as being somewhat more reserved and not as loud. That being said, and as a Canadian my own opinion is that every nationality has its' share of rude and obnoxious tourists. I think you will find US dollars every bit as welcome as Canadian dollars if not more so.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
apparently locals can not do anything with foreign coins, only bills, so tipping with Canadian dollars would be no good, unless you're giving 5 bucks a shot, since there are no more bills in Canada under that amount.
I'm Canadian, and I brought American dollars for tipping, but found that my Canadian money was useable as well.
Or, just buy Pesos....

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Gena said:
Da boss says that Canadians are "preferred" in the D.R. over Americans... "...they REALLY don't like Americans there. ...
Also, he said to bring Canadian dollars for tipping, shopping, etc., but everywhere I look on the Net, people say to bring American dollars. Thanks!

That's right. As I hate supermodels, fancy cars, luxury hotels, and prime cuts of beef. Get it?

Bring US Dollars.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
No I don't get it Jim unless you are trying to be sarcastic. By the way in November I was getting a better rate (10.40) in Sosua for the Canadian dollar than I could get in Canada where it was around 10.0 My point in suggesting that Americans shouldn't go on ad nauseum about how great things are in the States is that most people all over the world are proud of their country be it the U.K., Sweden, Germany etc. etc. No one wants to hear what is commonly known as "typical American b.s."

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Jim:

Jim: I don't get your post, maybe I'm a little slow....but it just does'nt make any sense......could you clear it up for the "slow ones around here".....(hopefully there is at least one more "slow" one ....other than me!)Not making little of your post by any means Jim.....just don't get it!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
AMERICAN DOLLARS

As a Canadian I would take American Dollars because it is a more commonly used currency and more understood by Dominicans. As far as American Attitude versus Canadian Attitude and who is more welcome in other countries perhaps we could hear from some Germans, Swedes...etc, on their opinions. Many people around the world acknownledge the USA as the #1 world power but nobody wants to hear it over and over, especially out of the mouth of the Ugly Americans, a term coined by Europeans.

Gena

Jan 10, 2002
Oooo..kaaayyy...

Regarding two responses such as...

"My personal opinion is to be careful not to be the "ugly" American, bragging about the U.S. and how great everything is in the States. Canadians have a reputation as being somewhat more reserved and not as loud. That being said, and as a Canadian my own opinion is that every nationality has its' share of rude and obnoxious tourists."

Er, yes. All nationalities have rude and obnoxious PEOPLE, actually, correct? They don't even have to be tourists.

Since that's a given, why pick on us Americans? The great majority of us don't go around bragging about the U.S., but it's pretty easy to be critical of any group of people, isn't it, stir things up?

Ya know, when I was a 15-year-old, my elder cousin Kathy and I were discussing my then-racial stepdad, and she explained to me that you shouldn't put "labels" on anyone. I understood at that young age, and have remembered this throughout my life.

It doesn't matter whether you're Catholic or Jewish, black or white, physically handicapped or "a perfect specimen," rich or poor, American or Canadian or German or whatever... there are going to be nice people AND jerks. I know nice people in all of those groups.

To put those labels on people is called prejudice. Whatever walk of life you're from, to speak about any group of people like that propagates hatred. It isn't just religious zealots who do it, or the wealthy or the KKK -- think about what you're doing, chances are you don't even realize the impact it has on others. So who's rude and obnoxious now?

Sorry if my post sounds preachy, but I don't want a label put on me. And I don't need to "be careful" not to be a jerk. By the way, my daughter is both American AND Canadian, a dual citizen, and is proud of BOTH.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Jim

Narrowed Jim's post down to two possible meanings, one more profound than the other:

1. We dislike that which we cannot/do not have, and that which we envy...but disliking something doesn't necessarily make it bad.
2. SCHYEAH RIGHT! They are full of shit, bring US Dollars.

Am I close?
m

Last edited:

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: Do they like Americans?

doug said:
Jim: I don't get your post, maybe I'm a little slow....but it just does'nt make any sense......could you clear it up for the "slow ones around here

"hate" can be an expression of envy, or disdain for that which cannot be had.

Still slow? They dislike some American attitudes and arrogance but would switch places given the choice in a heartbeat.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Re: Do they like Americans?

Jim Hinsch said:

...but would switch places given the choice in a heartbeat.

well, maybe Some people would, but not nearly as many as Americans delude themselves......

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Real facts

Look guys, the fact of the matter is that for most of the dominicans, any white person is a gringo, commonly called an americano ! That's not an insult, it's just the way they call us, wheter you are russian, brit' , french or italian !!!! It means "white-foreigner" and it really isn't an aggressive adjective...
As far as money is concerned, anything will do for 99% of the people here, but no coins, and of course a 100% preference for the US$, which rules anywhere in the world (I am not american, but that's a fact !)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tempest in a Teapot

I once did a little "Test",if you will allow me. This was back when I was a "Tourist",not a resident.If you ask your Dominican waiter,or waitress or taxi driver or especially,prostitutes,"who are the most friendly,or best tippers,or best "lovers" they always say "Americans",to Americans,"Canadians"to Canadians,"Germans",to Germans.Get the picture? Dominicans ain,t nobodys fool.When you want something from somebody,you tell them just what they want to hear!Before you all start,"wanting something" can be just a friendship,or to pass the time.There is one thing that all dominican women do agree on,they really hate Italian men! There is a "pact" among all dominican women,"Tell the Italian men that they are great",but behind their backs we all laugh at them!Have you seen them "dance?" I use the word "Dance" only as a referance!Criss Colon

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Questions for Da Boss

Ask the fat lazy opinionated, drunken bastard "boss" if he ever stepped outside of his all inclusive in Punta Cana. Find out if he's ever been do a dominican school, clinic, hospital, family restaurant, family home or whether he has a single Dominican person he maintains regular communication with. Find out if he's ever walked down a street, day or night, being the only Gringo around. Find out if he's ever been in a position where he's the only Gringo for ten miles around. He might then be competent at rendering an opinion on how Dominicans feel about Americans rather than being a BS salesman with a mouthfull of samples. Respectfully submitted to "Da Boss" KenoshaChris f/k/a ChicacagoChris, the guapo Americano.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
OK Kenosha Baybe!

I hope you never get "pissed" at me!Want to go to "Gitmo"(Guentanomo Bay) with me to "Intimidate",I mean Interogate,prisoners?AZB wants to go as a Translator",the Navy said yes,but he can,t wear shoes on the flight! One question Chris,and I,ll go home for the night. Have you ever heard a Dominican woman,and you have heard a few!,say she liked Canadians better than Americans? I didn,t think so!!! Well,there you have the answer folks,Chris said "Noway"!Chris is an American Lawyer,and is not allowed to lie by law! Dominicans "like" Americans "better" than Canadians by a margin of 8 million to 1, now who is that "1"? Must be a "slow" news day.Criss Colon

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Apologies to Criss Colon

When I was referring to the fat, lazy drunken bastard in the above post, I wasn't referring to you and before you strike back, I'm just a lazy drunken bastard. Any bartender in Sosua can verify that.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Gitmo

I'll pay my own way to go to Gitmo to Gitsome and the first one I wanna git is that no frigg'n good American Hughes or whatever his name is. There are a whole lotta people out there that wouldn't mind seeing him in a room alone with me. I'm quite competent a being judge and jury and have papers on the wall to prove it. Even though I'm about thirty years older than that Afgan smelling skinny excuse for a warrior, in five minutes with me he'd look worse than he did when they pulled him out of that hole in Kandastan, Kandanista, Kandajar or wherever they turned up a big pile of camel dung and pulled him out from. Hell, I hear they got some pretty good rum down there in Cuber too.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Jim

Thx, for the explanation.....but I beg to differ......Canadiens surely would not change nationalities given the chance....I really do believe it is the other way around..........How patriotic we are.....are'nt we!......LOL