A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Last Sunday, my son took me to Playa Grande for a round of golf.

we took a gang of about 12 people with us and we really enjoyed the place.

According to one of the more 'local' players, there have been sightings of whales from many of the fairways. On their way to Saman?, I guess.

For those that are planning a trip there, the hotel is open, and the green fees with cart are less than US$100. A caddy is RD$300 for 18 holes of telling you where to aim, where your ball ended up and how the ball will break on those huge greens. cheap, since you split a caddy between you and the other guy riding in the cart.

The course is in magnificent condition and the greens are wicked. (There were three greens that had been damaged: Two by disgruntled workers who spread diesel on parts of them and one by salt spray/) the gardens and the ocean vistas are major distractions.....

For the higher handicap player, it is considered wise to bring a few more extra balls, since the O.B. is the ocean on many holes!!

Looking forward to another trip there soon....

Oh yes, the bar was neatly appointed and the Presidente was very cold. Service was excellent.

HB

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
HB, you are right about the golf

I'm going to try to get to the DR soon for some sun and golf. I have read many post about how nice Playa Grande is. Is the hotel at the course a good place to stay as a vacation spot or are there better places nearby to stay? Also, could you suggest a good cigar to smoke while playing the course?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually, I think that there might be alternatives

On another thread about Playa Grande, one of the posters has given a web page that offers a neat package for $150.00.
I think it is worth it, if it can fit in your plans.
I personally think that the accomodations at Playa Dorada are better suited at this time, and offer the following advantages:
1) A golf course on site.
2)Access to golf at other sites -Playa Grande and Santiago and Jarabacoa
3)Larger selection of diversions: Sosua, Cabarete for instance.

Right now, for me Playa Grande is a special occasion place.

Certainly a MUST PLAY in any golfer's book. Like Pebble or St. Andrews. Awesome course.

HB

I borrowed this from Jim Driscoll's post over on Travel

Try the web site www.golf-adventures.org. They have a trip from Playa Dorada to Playa Grande. Cost is $155.00 US. Cost includes golf, shared cart with caddy, range balls, water on the course, prizes, and lunch. You can preregister for the trip through the web site.""

Last edited:

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Question for HB

Hi HB, Could you please tell me the distance between Santiago, and Playa Grande, and how are the rentals at the course? Also does it have a driving range? How long is the course from the tips? Thanks for your time for answering this HB....!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is a haul from Santiago

Let's see: From the Gold tees it is 6852; from the Blues it is 6295.
Eleven of the holes are next to the ocean.
In a car from Santiago, going over the mountains at jamao, it is 1:45 to the course. We think it is worth it!!

And yes, of course there is a driving range. Rentals are pretty fair from all accounts.

HB

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Thanks HB...get us a tee time

Appreciate the info. I lived in La Romana many,many years ago.
I last played golf in the DR at Casa de Campo in 1977. I want to play P.G. before it gets too famous and too expensive. I'll be glad to treat you to a round when I get there.

sunshine

Jan 13, 2002
Golfing

Hillbilly,

You seem to be a fountain of good information! My first question is this: How many golf courses are within an hour's drive from Sosua? Also, can you also list a quick summary of prices for each (particularily Playa Dorada (?)(I think that was the name of one I read about??). We would like to get in a game or two, but with going on a few other tours, we may have to golf a cheaper course in order to stay on budget.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are three courses more or less in that area

Obviously you have Playa Dorada, then Playa Grande and finally you have Santiago G.C. at las Aromas.

they are all different. I am sorry to say that i do not have the latest figures with me, but Playa Dorada is certainly the least expensive because of the travel involved.

There is also a little course over in CostAmbar called los Mangos. I have not played there in some time.

HB