Did the OAS report add anything new?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The mission the Organization of American States sent to the Dominican Republic and Haiti earlier this July 2015 must have cost thousands of dollars. But the report generated seems to bring nothing new to the table. The mission was called after the Haitian ambassador in a session of the OAS Permanent Council in Washington, D.C. had alerted to a humanitarian crisis on the border.

In the report there is no mention of having found or not a humanitarian crisis on the border in the report. In more diplomatic language than the “one island, one country” message communicated earlier on the situation by Secretary Luis Almagro, the report recommends more dialogue between both countries and calls for a meeting between the two sides. It recommends establishing mechanisms for understanding, in the framework of international standards for the transfer of people between both countries; the use of the OAS to strengthen the people registration processes underway, in particular to the Program for the Identification and documentation of Haitian Immigrants of the Haitian government. Likewise, the OAS mission recommends that the national authorities and international community find mechanisms to help displaced persons, especially the most vulnerable.

Bilateral talks between the two countries were discontinued after the government of Haiti conditioned repatriations from the Dominican Republic and began a major international smear campaign to garner international support. Haiti would also announce it would not accept that persons that do not have Haitian identity return to Haiti.

Most of the Haitians that have immigrated to the Dominican Republic have done so undocumented, because most of the people in Haiti do not have identity documents. This situation was even denounced by former Haitian ambassador in the Dominican Republic, Daniel Supplice who corroborated statements of Dominican government officers that the main reason most Haitians were not able to obtain full legal residence was that the government of Haiti was reticent in providing essential documents, such as birth certificates.

This was a situation the Dominican Republic sought to correct with the implementation of the National Foreigner Legalization Plan. At least 288,000 persons, most Haitians, registered but a small percentage was able to complete the process. In the meantime, the Dominican government has issued temporary residence cards as these persons seek their Haitian essential documents, such as birth certificates.

In the report, the OAS somewhat acknowledges this situation when it says it supports the processes of registration of migrants underway through the Universal Civil Identity Project of the Americas (PUICA).

Taken from the OAS translation, the five recommendations in the report are:

1. Facilitate a dialogue between the two countries, including the organization of a meeting between the two countries in the most appropriate location accepted by both sides.

2. That the OAS facilitate a dialogue between the two countries, to find paths of solution to the present difficulties.

3. Establish a mechanism of understanding, in the framework of international standards, that allows for the transfer of people between the two countries.

4.Use the good offices of the OAS to strengthen the processes of registration underway, in particular in the support for the Programme d’Identification et de Documentation des Immigrants Haitiens through the Universal Civil Identity Project of the Americas – or “PUICA” of the OAS.

5.Request that the national authorities and the international community seek mechanisms to help the displaced persons, in particular the most vulnerable. 

The report, compiled on the basis of the observations of the OAS Mission to the two countries from July 9 to 14 headed by the Secretary for Political Affairs, Francisco Guerrero, was sent yesterday to the governments of the Dominican Republic and Haiti simultaneously.

The complete report is available in Spanish and French.
OEA :: Comunicados de Prensa :: D-030/15
OAS :: Press Releases :: E-212/15

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Both sides seem pretty set in what they want and expect, no matter what int'l organizations say or try to do. The DR wants Haitians (with or without Haiti documentation) out and Haiti doesn't seem to want their own people back, probably in part because their already poor and precarious situation will get even worse. Haiti needs a total government/organizational revamp to even try to start getting organized. All that international $$ help and things are even worse than before. Some pockets over there apparently are black holes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The OAS is a useless organization that does nothing about the human rights absuses in Venezuela and Cuba. Best to ignore them.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The report indeed adds nothing new in reality and hopefully now neutralizes all the negatives coming at the DR including all the false talk of a current humanitarian crisis.

It does now put more onus on international organizations, to include Caricom whose members are in significant number in the OAS, to do something positive and stop the ranting.

Two significant observations in the report:

Se reconoce que la Rep?blica Dominicana tiene el derecho, como pa?s soberano, de establecer e implementar su propia pol?tica migratoria.
Reconoce los esfuerzos realizados por el Gobierno de la Rep?blica Dominicana en la implementaci?n de una pol?tica migratoria, en virtud de la cual se han producido movimientos de personas m?s all? de las fronteras.

obiuno

Jan 2, 2002
The report indeed adds nothing new in reality and hopefully now neutralizes all the negatives coming at the DR including all the false talk of a current humanitarian crisis.

It does now put more onus on international organizations, to include Caricom whose members are in significant number in the OAS, to do something positive and stop the ranting....

I don't think it will stop the attacks because they were baseless to begin with and the OAS mission only gave them a pause. It won't take long until they're back at it again. The OAS is a totally useless bureaucracy; its only purpose is as a job program for out of government Latin American diplomats and politicians.

I've been following this issue closely and when the controversy started with the 2013 constitutional court ruling I went as far as to read the whole thing (it's 147 pages long and I'm no lawyer); I also read various version of the Dominican constitution, immigration laws... anything I could get. I them contacted as many of the journalists and writers who were covering this news as I could, under the assumption that they were misinformed and that they would change their mind once I showed them the facts. Big mistake.

There's nothing that prevents these "journalists" and opinion makers from reading the same sources I did. They're in better position than me to do that, as that is their job and they probably have a bunch of unpaid interns doing their research. But they won't do it because they don't want to. Same with the Haitian government, they are lying but they know that nobody will call them out on it.

The D.R. government should ignore them too, and the OAS as well.

Hope024

Jul 12, 2015
So true. But politically it's easier to paint us ALL as racists, than to explain the convoluted law and history to the international community.

My parents were born 1929 and 1930 in Santiago, arrived to the U.S. in 1957 and 1959. And to have Haitians use Trujillo's barbarity against the Dominican Republic is beyond insulting, when my parents fled for their lives fighting against Trujillo. Who btw killed more Dominicans than Haitians and kidnapped an American journalist from NY and killed him too. "El Chivo" also attempted to kill President Betancourt from Venezuela for speaking out against his atrocities.

There is a reason that the merengue called "Mataron El Chivo" exists and was celebrated. Quietly, because even Dominicans abroad were scared to celebrate his death, until they knew his family and regime wouldn't be taking over.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Take a look at what UN is doing in Haiti

Both sides seem pretty set in what they want and expect, no matter what int'l organizations say or try to do. The DR wants Haitians (with or without Haiti documentation) out and Haiti doesn't seem to want their own people back, probably in part because their already poor and precarious situation will get even worse. Haiti needs a total government/organizational revamp to even try to start getting organized. All that international $$ help and things are even worse than before. Some pockets over there apparently are black holes.

This video from TVE, Spanish TV, looks into the dark side of the UN and international aide and ONGs. This is the story that very few are telling. But is one that also should be told.

V?deo: Hait?, el gran negocio de las ONGs y de las "Transnacionales de la Caridad"-Tve

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
OAS in the eyes of Dominicans is like a Gang because they came here to see the massive deportations, all the tortures that we do to Haitians, to see the stateless, and his final report presented do not mention anything about it. but in the written one said something about they are scared of some cases of stateless.

No more to say, is clear what they want and that they has already their opinion and that they has their feet in the Haitian side and are not impartial.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the report presented things as they are: no deportations, no genocide. i doubt that haiti will change their attitude anytime soon so i do not expect much of a dialogue.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
I don't think it will stop the attacks because they were baseless to begin with and the OAS mission only gave them a pause. It won't take long until they're back at it again. The OAS is a totally useless bureaucracy; its only purpose is as a job program for out of government Latin American diplomats and politicians.

I've been following this issue closely and when the controversy started with the 2013 constitutional court ruling I went as far as to read the whole thing (it's 147 pages long and I'm no lawyer); I also read various version of the Dominican constitution, immigration laws... anything I could get. I them contacted as many of the journalists and writers who were covering this news as I could, under the assumption that they were misinformed and that they would change their mind once I showed them the facts. Big mistake.

There's nothing that prevents these "journalists" and opinion makers from reading the same sources I did. They're in better position than me to do that, as that is their job and they probably have a bunch of unpaid interns doing their research. But they won't do it because they don't want to. Same with the Haitian government, they are lying but they know that nobody will call them out on it.

The D.R. government should ignore them too, and the OAS as well.

and THAT is the absolute TRUTH on this matter, nothing more nothing less, excellent post, I started the same way you did, seeking the truth of this, I read the whole TC 168-13 and the constitutions, it was then that I realized what is really going on here.

Last edited:

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
So true. But politically it's easier to paint us ALL as racists, than to explain the convoluted law and history to the international community.

My parents were born 1929 and 1930 in Santiago, arrived to the U.S. in 1957 and 1959. And to have Haitians use Trujillo's barbarity against the Dominican Republic is beyond insulting, when my parents fled for their lives fighting against Trujillo. Who btw killed more Dominicans than Haitians and kidnapped an American journalist from NY and killed him too. "El Chivo" also attempted to kill President Betancourt from Venezuela for speaking out against his atrocities.

There is a reason that the merengue called "Mataron El Chivo" exists and was celebrated. Quietly, because even Dominicans abroad were scared to celebrate his death, until they knew his family and regime wouldn't be taking over.

Indeed, at least x10 times more! but nobody cares about that, the number of Haitians murdered during the 5 days of El Corte has been super inflated beginning with Trujillo itself and then by the Haitian Government of the time when Trujillo agreed with them to PAY for each Haitian, those numbers began growing exponentially...