DR moves to US Currency

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Several businesses will deal in US$ as of NOW. With the latest decisions concerning the peso notes ie. missing pieces, writting on the bills etc. it's safer with the "Greenback" Don't change your money, just pay in US$. I'm sure that most businesses will give you the top rate.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What is you source for this news?

Please list the "business, that will now use US dollars.How do you know that they will give a "good Rate"? "What is a good Rate" I will resist the urge to call your post "irresponsable" until you ansewer my questioun.Criss Colon

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Pesos=US$

Yea you're right Criss I sould have a little clearer. What I meant by a good rate was "for example" a RD$35.00 item would be sold for US$2.00 at the present exchange rate 17. I'm just PO'd that several people including yours truly are stuck with Peso notes that nobody will accept. If the banks go 100% by the book, any RD$ bill that has any markings on it or a missing piece (corner for example) will be turned down. That probably includes the 500, 1000, and 2000 that are stamped by the "Cambios" to identify them in case of a counterfeit bill. If you or anyone else have an alternative, I'm all ears (Eyes in this cae)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Eddy

Eddy, I don,t know you,or where you live,but don,t worry about what you read in the Dominican papers! Your money is going to be just fine. What,are you in the US with some dominican pesos?If you are coming within a month or two I would not be concerned.Most of the bills in circulation here look like they were eaten by a cow,came out the back side,and went right to the colmado to buy a Presidente!(OK they look better than before,but just wait)Criss Colon

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Using both is fine...

Guys, I have a small business here, getting pesos and US$... I spend all the pesos to pay the bills and the rent, and I try to save most of the US$... Then most of the time I end up changing some US$ to help paying the bills... But, I must admit I have 2 bank accounts here, one in pesos and one in US$. I fill the US$, and leave the peso one empty...

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Money

I've always wondered why the Pesos are so dirty....we use ours in Canada just as much....but they are not near as dirty!......Is it the paper they use at the mint?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy > I Agree with you 100%

Eddy our company has delt in US greenbacks (ONLY) for the past five years!

As for Criss.....I have never met a Dominican Person or any other for that matter that turned down a US Dollar...

I love this Country ( The DR ) and have lived and worked here since 1989.......However i'll take the Greenbacks 8 day's a week!

PS: Please don't tell my Uncle Sam!

Gena

Jan 10, 2002
I posted in the Travel section about US/CAN money...

So, sounds like from the Dominican standpoint, bringing U.S. greenbacks might be advantageous over Canadian dollars? Obviously, other than the value...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They accept a US$ Credit Card

I bought a couple of fridges a while back and paid with my US$ Credit Card. They wrote the amount in RD$ but I was billed the equivalent in US$

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Gena, why are you still on the US vs Canadian dollar thing? Your original question about which currency to use here has been answered over and over. Canada is a country of about 25 million people, the US a country of 250 million. Is it a shocker that US dollars are probably more recognized here than Canadian dollars?

marc

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Marc

No kidding.....some people think there is something else, when common sense is the only thing there!!!