Flying into Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Hi everyone. Boring question for you. I'm just about to book my flight, and need help deciding whether to fly into Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata. We plan to visit both places during our trip to the DR. Flights departing at similar times are available for both places, and the prices are the same. Is there anything which should make me prefer one over the other? The place I choose will be where we spend our first night in the DR, as our flight will arrive at 10pm. Which place will be better for our first night?
Also, does anyone have any ideas regarding what the heck there is to do with a kid of age 14 in the evenings for someone not staying at a resort. She doesn't speak Spanish, though I do, so I guess movie theaters are out of the question. Are there lots of open air cafes or what else is nice to do in the evenings?
Thanks,
Toddy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
POP is closer to your lodgings, I think

The airport at Puerto Plata is just 15 minutes from your lodgings at Playa Dorada.
All the hotels at Playa Dorada have MTV and other cable channels. 90% of all the movies here are in English, so if you want to see first run movies you have to come to Santiago, at Plaza Internacional.
14 year olds seems to have the most fun and there will be lots of other kids that age. Enjoy.

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Try with American or Continental to get a flight arriving to Santo Domingo and departing by Puerto Plata. Like that you can see both destinations. Called American to verify and they say it would be the same fare.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Toddy said:

She doesn't speak Spanish, though I do, so I guess movie theaters are out of the question. Toddy

Movies may not be out of the question, I read somewhere (someone who actually knows, please verify if it's true) that a lot of movies are shown in English with Spanish subtitles...
:)