Strategy for the implementation of measures in road safety

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For those of you that read the local press, you will have seen recent articles promoting a the strategic road safety plan to prevent accidents.

One such article is as below:

http://www.elperiodico.com.do/nacio...a-prevenir-accidentes-de-transito-en-el-pais/

http://transurl.babylon.com/?trn=1&...l-pais/&sl=es&tl=en&ver=10002&lv=-1475809856&

And it refers to the strategic plan 2015 -2020:

https://www.csv.go.cr/documents/101...2020.pdf/98e333ee-b393-430b-95ce-4b497a514721.

Some will take time to read the links....many will not.

Quite a few will ridicule the ability and capability of the Dominican Government to change what is a poor state of affairs for those of us that drive around the country, and some will simply make jokes because they do that about all things Dominican.

I personally would very much like that as many of the intentions outlined in this plan do succeed, because driving here can be most challenging on both ones driving abilities and state of calmness when out and about. But the challenge is huge and small successes will be welcome.

For those who continue to drive on your respective foreign licenses beyond time limits or without any at all, may I suggest that such actions will have no place here some time going forward, and if you choose to live in the DR you need to adapt quickly. It is an easy cheap test now but in reading the strategic plan getting a license might just become like getting a license back home soon with the required training before getting to the testing.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Great Plan

I personally would very much like that as many of the intentions outlined in this plan do succeed....

I concur.
But the plan was conceived by the Health Ministry.
Who will listen to them? :tired:

"crear un Consejo Nacional de la Seguridad Vial, con car?cter intersectorial e interdisciplinario nos permite educar, fiscalizar, regular y sobre todo implementar estrategias e insistir con el respeto a las leyes de tr?nsito, con ?nfasis en el uso del casco protector, cintur?n de seguridad en los conductores y todos los pasajeros, p?blicos y privados; evitar consumo de alcohol al conducir ni uso de drogas y en especial evitar hablar por celular al conducir..."
(...)introducci?n de bolsas de aire y cinturones de seguridad, las importaciones de neum?ticos usados y nuevos que entran al pa?s, ..."

I hear the message well but lack Faith's constant trust. [Goethe]

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I concur.
But the plan was conceived by the Health Ministry.
Who will listen to them? :tired:

"crear un Consejo Nacional de la Seguridad Vial, con car?cter intersectorial e interdisciplinario nos permite educar, fiscalizar, regular y sobre todo implementar estrategias e insistir con el respeto a las leyes de tr?nsito, con ?nfasis en el uso del casco protector, cintur?n de seguridad en los conductores y todos los pasajeros, p?blicos y privados; evitar consumo de alcohol al conducir ni uso de drogas y en especial evitar hablar por celular al conducir..."
(...)introducci?n de bolsas de aire y cinturones de seguridad, las importaciones de neum?ticos usados y nuevos que entran al pa?s, ..."

I hear the message well but lack Faith's constant trust. [Goethe]

donP

If the DR plan is as good as the Costa Rican plan, it will be a good start lol.

Glad you read it.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Eggheads' Plans

If the DR plan is as good as the Costa Rican plan, it will be a good start lol.

Good plans are good when they are implemented.
Otherwise it's not even worthwhile to read them.

{When I read intersectorial e interdisciplinario, I know which kind of experts was at work... ;) }

donP

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
For those of you that read the local press, you will have seen recent articles promoting a the strategic road safety plan to prevent accidents.

One such article is as below:

http://www.elperiodico.com.do/nacio...a-prevenir-accidentes-de-transito-en-el-pais/

http://transurl.babylon.com/?trn=1&...l-pais/&sl=es&tl=en&ver=10002&lv=-1475809856&

And it refers to the strategic plan 2015 -2020:

https://www.csv.go.cr/documents/101...2020.pdf/98e333ee-b393-430b-95ce-4b497a514721.

Some will take time to read the links....many will not.

Quite a few will ridicule the ability and capability of the Dominican Government to change what is a poor state of affairs for those of us that drive around the country, and some will simply make jokes because they do that about all things Dominican.

I personally would very much like that as many of the intentions outlined in this plan do succeed, because driving here can be most challenging on both ones driving abilities and state of calmness when out and about. But the challenge is huge and small successes will be welcome.

For those who continue to drive on your respective foreign licenses beyond time limits or without any at all, may I suggest that such actions will have no place here some time going forward, and if you choose to live in the DR you need to adapt quickly. It is an easy cheap test now but in reading the strategic plan getting a license might just become like getting a license back home soon with the required training before getting to the testing.

Getting a Dominican lisence is THE problem. Citizens here have a lisence but not idea how to drive properly. No common courtesy, no defensive driving skills and totally distracted while driving. It is not the ex-pats that are the problem. It is the locals that pay no attention to the rules of the road and don't have a clue. Get over it!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Getting a Dominican lisence is THE problem. Citizens here have a lisence but not idea how to drive properly. No common courtesy, no defensive driving skills and totally distracted while driving. It is not the ex-pats that are the problem. It is the locals that pay no attention to the rules of the road and don't have a clue. Get over it!

absolutely!! the average expat here has a basic idea of how to drive a car. the rank and file Dominican should ride a mule. ZERO concept of what it takes to be a safe driver.

i would like it if a psychologist could delve into the Dominican psyche and explain to me why it is that a Dominican in a car, or on a motorcycle, cannot stay behind the vehicle in front of him or her for more than 15 seconds. they simply have to overtake it, regardless of the danger it might occasion. my buddy suggested that the guy feels that if the person in front continues to stay there, he is going to get to his destination before he does, and that there is this mysterious prize that the guy in front will win, and he will not.

i will not waste my time reading any plans that the Dominican government publishes about reducing the accident rates. that cannot happen. accidents are a function of one thing only....drivers.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They Call It an Accident.

... accidents are a function of one thing only....drivers.

Yesterday:
fa725724-b8e7-4550-be51-11abcb34d34a_zpspfsn1fk6.png

Although the mountain road S?nchez-Las Terrenas is closed for heavy lorries. :bandit:
No importa!

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Laughing at what?

i was laughing at the OP, not at the accident.

There is no reason for that.
He was just giving information about a plan drawn up by the health ministry.
One may find the plan ridiculous...but the OP?

donP