Pool Pump Timing Question - Puerto Plata

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I have figured out that our pool pump uses 2.5 kilowatts per hour to run. On average, how long do you run your pump in order to keep the pool clean etc. I have a feeling that we have been running our's way too long and one neighbor told us that they only run it one hour every 3 days!

Any "energy saving" tips you use would be appreciated!
We use chlorine.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
It Depends

I have figured out that our pool pump uses 2.5 kilowatts per hour to run. On average, how long do you run your pump in order to keep the pool clean etc. I have a feeling that we have been running our's way too long and one neighbor told us that they only run it one hour every 3 days!

Well, this would very much depend on the size (= amount of water) of your pool and its usage.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rule of Thumb

Let me add this:
As a rule of thumb, I've been told, you want to run your pool's content through the filters once per day.
We do not filter that much, as we have little usage (only the family) and a clean environment.

donP

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We have a solar pump, runs as long as the sun shines. So some days 8+ hours. Perfect pool chemistry with minimal problems. Salt water generator, cartridge filter.
Is your pool sparkling and is your chemistry balanced? If so , you are filtering enuf.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not an expert, but this is what I do.

In a perfect world, two complete water changes through the filter each day should suffice if you do not have algae problems and your water chemistry is kept in check.

One complete water cycle per day may be more than enough for a pool that is not heavily used. If only using one cycle try to time it so that the filter is running at some point between 12-3 pm during the hottest part of the day. I turn my filter back on when people enter the pool and always allow my filter to run for at least 30 minutes after the last person exits the pool.

You can determine roughly how long it will take your pump to the cycle the water once by dividing the pool volume by the flow rate of your pump. The shorter filter runs mean you need to be more fastidious in keeping organic matter out of the pool, vacuum more often and brush he sides to ensure that algae does gain a foothold.

Most important is keeping the ph level in the ideal range and having enough chlorine. I use algacides and a water polisher weekly.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
My pool is roughly 15' wide ? 23' long and 5' deep ( no shallow end) . I run my filter from 11am to 3pm daily. The reason for this time of day is to prevent still water at the hottest part of the day, the best time to grow algie.
If your trying to figure flow rates per hour, don't forget to include filter size.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We have a solar pump, runs as long as the sun shines. So some days 8+ hours. Perfect pool chemistry with minimal problems. Salt water generator, cartridge filter.
Is your pool sparkling and is your chemistry balanced? If so , you are filtering enuf.

Can you give us any information on your "solar" pool pump? Cost / Brand / how it works etc? Did you get it in the DR or have it shipped in?

Thanks.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

Any "energy saving" tips you use would be appreciated!
We use chlorine.

Not sure how you did your calculations but that pump would filter the ocean at that rate..
Running consumption not peak or stall rating is what you need and that would be around the rate of a decent size fan motor. Nothing like 2.5KWh I would think.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Can you give us any information on your "solar" pool pump? Cost / Brand / how it works etc? Did you get it in the DR or have it shipped in?

Thanks.
o sorry but pool as built when we were not here so don't have particulars. But we are not unique, I know of many others who have solar pool pumps. Hopefully one of those can chime in with particulars. But I can say that in 2+ years we have not had any problems.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Volts times amps equals watts! Just like in Canada, Edenorte charges by the kilowatt. If you run your pump at 240 volts, it runs cooler and you are able to run a thinner wire to it because it creates less heat. So what? Still, bottom line is, you are being charged by the kilowatt, NOT the amps it draws. So, it will make no difference on your bill.

I calculated the cost per hour by knowing that when we are away and using nothing but the ordinary 24 hr operating stuff in the house we use about 12kw per day (1/2kw per hour). So we had nothing extra turned on and then took the meter reading, turned the pump on for exactly one hour, and then took another reading. It changed by 3kw, so assumed that 3 less than the 1/2kw normal usuage was the usuage of the pump...........2.5kw.