Kite Beach, Cabarete, beach no more

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
When I was last staying here a couple of years ago there was a nice beach bordering the beach front buildings. Now no more beach. The ocean is crashing into walls and they have put up sandbags all over to try to save the crumbling concrete beach walls. Going a little east to main Cabarete beach, the beach appears to have shrunk in half. Climate change, permanent change? Do they have a plan to save the remaining beach? No beach, no tourism $.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Yes. There is a plan. The US leading the charge starting in the DR to install huge desalination systems all over the eastern seaboard of the Atlantic. The fresh water made by this process will be piped to e every drought ridden island and nation including California to supply billions of gallons of fresh water. This will end the droughts and shrink the Atlantic ocean by as much as 20% making the need for countries to embrace global warming issues obsolete while bringing back hundreds of beaches to their natural state. There is a copy of the entire plan inside every beach bar and hotel in Cabarete explaining the whole process to the visiting tourists so they will continue coming back.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Movement of sands changes with currents. The beaches come and go.
The currents also influences the water level.

Do they have a plan to save the remaining beach?
Even if there would be regulations they would only rise the prices for "environment" legal papers.

No beach, no tourism $.
There are still beaches left waiting to be destroyed.

Cabarete and Sosua are finished.
Will get worse.
Biggest thins were the destruction of the scenic view.

In Sosua El Batey the whole beach front was taken away by buildings.

Now for the last tourist attraction, Sosua Beach, plan is to destroy the beach for a hotel complex.
Plan for Sosua is to turn it to something like Juan Dulio.

Sadly what happens in DR happens all over the world.

Only "plans" developed are how to fill the pockets, no matter how.

Enjoy the beauty of nature - we are the last ones who can.

Alexander

May 29, 2006
Earthquakes can change currents, make beaches appear, make them disappear. Sometimes it's seasonal. Coastal engineering is a interesting science..

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Don't beaches kinda come and go, naturally.

Playa Alicia, one of my favorites, only appeared recently. The beach by my house shrinks and grows with the changing of the seasons.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes. There is a plan. The US leading the charge starting in the DR to install huge desalination systems all over the eastern seaboard of the Atlantic. The fresh water made by this process will be piped to e every drought ridden island and nation including California to supply billions of gallons of fresh water. This will end the droughts and shrink the Atlantic ocean by as much as 20% making the need for countries to embrace global warming issues obsolete while bringing back hundreds of beaches to their natural state. There is a copy of the entire plan inside every beach bar and hotel in Cabarete explaining the whole process to the visiting tourists so they will continue coming back.

I am afraid you only have half of the plan with your desalinization plants. That will cure the problems of potable water throughout the entire world. But those plants require massive amounts of electricity and the water is only filtered and not removed from the ecosystem. No net gain in beach size, sorry.

What you missed is the associated part of the plan to hydrolyze water into its component elements of hydrogen and oxygen. That will take actually take water out of the system and increase beach size globally. It will require incredible amounts of electricity, burning up all available fuels until only alternative fuels remain. At that point they will no longer be alternatives. A flaw in the plan has already been exposed. Auto makers are working on hydrogen fueled engines using that hydrogen from hydrolysis. When hydrogen is burned as a fuel, it recombines with oxygen forming water vapor and we are back to square one on beach size. These automakers must be stopped!

As for the beaches in Cabarete, they come and go. Sometimes the government gets pumpers to re-fill the beaches. This is a hard sell to the government because it means forgoing a lot of new Jeepetas.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Why would you consider sending water from the Caribbean or East Coast to California? The Pacific Ocean is right outside their back door.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Don't beaches kinda come and go, naturally.

Playa Alicia, one of my favorites, only appeared recently. The beach by my house shrinks and grows with the changing of the seasons.

The ocean started dumping sand there in the late 90's. 50 years ago local butchers dumped their waste there and it was a hangout for sharks. I think I read that the water in that bay was about 5 meters deep (prior to the sand dump).

137_01.jpg

Jul 28, 2014
Cabarete and Sosua are finished.
Biggest thins were the destruction of the scenic view.

In Sosua El Batey the whole beach front was taken away by buildings.

Now for the last tourist attraction, Sosua Beach, plan is to destroy the beach for a hotel complex.

They cant get a hospital in Sosua, which has been a hot topic for years, hell, they can't even get rid of the "ladies of the evening" that is "supposedly" part of the new world order to clean up Sosua and get families coming. Lets be honest, what does Sosua have to draw Families?? There is only one all inclusive resort, and on the weekends and holidays its full of Dominicans, not that I care, but can't see families wanting that?

So I really don't see them taking over the beach to do a development that is going to draw families, and if it does ever play out, I don't see it lasting. In my opinion, the mayor should have played it smart, not worried about the prostitution, just add a few more cops to make sure things "don't go bump in the night" and concentrate more on the food festivals and Mardi Gras-esque sorts of things that will keep the single guys going, and events for the Expats to enjoy (hopefully drawing more to come and live.)

Just my 2?, feel free to critique...

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
I have stayed out that way 3 or 4 times in different parts of the year. It is a seasonal effect, although this year may be worse than others.

May 29, 2006

I've been hearing about this plan since January, 1993, along with the million dollar beachfront shopping complex.

May 29, 2006
The ocean started dumping sand there in the late 90's. 50 years ago local butchers dumped their waste there and it was a hangout for sharks. I think I read that the water in that bay was about 5 meters deep (prior to the sand dump).

137_01.jpg

I believe that beach first appeared overnight after a small quake. As for the sharks, I'm not sure but I think Trujillo's thugs used to toss victims off the cliffs there to feed them.

Jan 17, 2009
Please post a current pic of this.

It's just like described. No sand. For now, it seems to be seasonal. Let's hope it continues being seasonal and not as it happened on the other side of Cabarete (next to Velero) where the sand has been pretty much gone for years now, and it also seemed seasonal when it started (a short while after they pumped sand back in 08 or 09?)

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
These cabarete expensive hotel and condo beach front property builders clearly didn't expect this ocean encroachment..many of.the concrete barrier walls are crumbling..future beach front builders beware.

Last edited:

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Waves from the north bring sand and we've had very few waves for a while. Therefore it's mostly current and it's chewing up certain parts while filling others.

The east part of the bay is also heavily affected, trees are being lost. This last winter didn't bring many waves from the north so the beaches didn't store as much sand.

We are also having lots of wind, tides and wind waves generate current which moves sand around.

As soon as we get waves from the north again, the beaches will start to grow and us wave riders will be happy too!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I believe that beach first appeared overnight after a small quake. As for the sharks, I'm not sure but I think Trujillo's thugs used to toss victims off the cliffs there to feed them.
I don't know about Trujillo involment. But I do know from the Book "Zion in the tropics" ( if I remembered the name correctly) that yes sharks would hang out around that cliff because the butcher in the Jewish settlement would toss the scraps into the ocean.
I also know a long time expat who told me he used to toss coins into the ocean there and the boys would drive for them. So it had to be deep because the cliff is high to be jumping off of and not to hit the bottem.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know about Trujillo involment. But I do know from the Book "Zion in the tropics" ( if I remembered the name correctly) that yes sharks would hang out around that cliff because the butcher in the Jewish settlement would toss the scraps into the ocean.
I also know a long time expat who told me he used to toss coins into the ocean there and the boys would drive for them. So it had to be deep because the cliff is high to be jumping off of and not to hit the bottem.

I smell an urban legend. There's a spot on the western malecon in Santo Domingo where the butchers all used to throw the meat scraps & blood, and they say it was always filled with sharks. "They" also say that the SIM used to throw bodies there to get rid of them. "They" also say that years after that stopped, some divers were in the area and found bones & some rings/jewelry. You really think they'd throw the bodies in there with gold on them???

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I smell an urban legend. There's a spot on the western malecon in Santo Domingo where the butchers all used to throw the meat scraps & blood, and they say it was always filled with sharks. "They" also say that the SIM used to throw bodies there to get rid of them. "They" also say that years after that stopped, some divers were in the area and found bones & some rings/jewelry. You really think they'd throw the bodies in there with gold on them???
Got to have some urban legend mixed in with some facts. It make the legend more believable and the truth more interesting! Hahah.
Good book about Sosua if you want some local history. Zion in the tropics. Another is Trujillo refuges.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
i remember in 2003 when that beach appeared virtually over night. Should have bought that property right in front which was fo sale a yea or so before