The best of Santiago

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
To plan for my next stay. I need advice on several locations, locations in the center of town and in the suburbs.

Where are there diverse restaurants in close proximity, in both the center of town and on the outer belt?

Where are some popular gyms, with a swimming pool, anywhere in town?

What are the other bus route beside the circunvalacion route, which covers a large area of the region?

Where are some options to go dancing on the weekend away from the center of town? Level 22, Pure, etc. only had people dancing with people they know. It was very boring in those places.

A yoga class and a massage spa (professional),

What are so must see places?

Thanks

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
What's your budget?

I went to Friday's last night and it was RD$5,000 for 3 of us - and that's not really a classy place just to give you an idea.

Penthouse at Bella Terra is supposed to be nice, never been there though.

There is a new bar in front of Leon Jimenez, I think it's called Level that has a lot of people dancing. Not upper class though.

Tribeca I hear is nice too.

Ahi-Bar is close to the city center and is usually packed with people. Oli's Room is more relaxed environment but always full of people too.

Mojibar at Bella Terra is full of people but no dancing (usually but you can dance if you want).

Brixx has good food in Villa Olga.

Kukaramakara has excellent food right in the city with spectacular view of El Monumento. After eating you can pop over to Ahi-Bar or one of the closer places to get drinks and/or dance.

El Rincon de la Paella has good food in Los Jardines.

Mr. Grilled has good food on Avenida 27 de Febrero close to Supermercado Central.

Blu is supposed to be nice as well for dancing. It's close to where Juan Pablo Duarte and Estrella Sadhala meet.

Lovera Bar is good for dancing and drinking. I don't know what the neighborhood is called but it's just before the Baldom factory on Estrella Sadhala. There is Lovera Bar 2 near Leon Jimenez where there are a lot of other bars and food trucks you can walk around. If you are a lone female though I would not suggest that.

You speak Spanish? You'll need to be taking conchos (public cars) during the day and taxis at night to get around. Conchos are RD$20 per ride. Taxis are RD$150 minimum and it goes up from there.

If you don't know the route of the concho ask someone (which is why you need to know Spanish to get around easily).

I'm more into food than going to nightclubs so I'm not too helpful about dancing but I can assure you Lovera Bar will have people to dance with.

There is also a professional massage/spa place right between Blu and Edenorte building on Juan Pablo Duarte. I don't know the name but it's good quality service.

There's a gym in Plaza Internacional which I always see a lot of people coming and going from.

Hope that helps.

edit: If you go to Kukaramakara there is a place called Mosa adjacent to El Monumento where you can go to dance. It's within walking distance.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Try Airbnb.com. There are a few places with pools, gym and multiple bedrooms. Paradise 3 and Harmony are 2 that are highly recommended.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Thanks Jumbo. My budget is middle of the road.

I think some of the places you named are on the road, which goes down hill from the monument. They were crowded and it was elbow to elbow in some.

I was not able to explore all of Avenida 27 de Febrero. i hope to correct the oversight on my next trip. Some of the smaller north coast towns are less interesting after a few days.

After viewing your suggestions on the map, I realized I have missed out on a lot in Santiago. I knew I was, I didn't have information to expand my to do list. Only reading travel webpages aren't always the best assessment of great places to patronize.

Thanks for your advice.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Would any care to rank the top 12 and bottom 5 neighborhoods in Santiago?
Can you name why they have the ranking?

Thanks

May 12, 2005
For decent affordable food, I always recommend La Marchena and Max Delicias. For dancing, try Tipico Monte Bar.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well first let me say that the most modern and some say the largest gym in the Caribbean is on the PUCMM campus and open to the public.

Next, that Amaprosan has a pool that can be used on a day pass, and there is an aquapark at the end of Hispanoamericana Avenue.

As for restaurants:
I don't know where to start...there is a Brazilian place on Calle del Sol "the street that goes down hill" that is outstanding. On the
right as you "go downhill.
There it trattoria Claudio in the Jardines, together with a real Mexican place on Calle 7...Claudio is on Calle 5 The streets in the Jardines
Metropolitanos that cross the Avenida Metropolitana are odd-numbered, starting with 3-5-7-9 etc.
There are perhaps 20 good places to eat in the area off of Avenida Metropolitana, including the Terracita at the corner of
Metropolitana and Calle 9 (also known as Rep?blica del L?bano) ..everything from Sushi-ya to Vegan.

Regarding dancing, you probably need to meet someone at Ahi-bar and take off from there. Perhaps a "tipico" like Rancho Andy?

As for neighborhoods
1. Cerro de Gurabo
2. Esmeralda
3. Rincon Largo
4. Tavarez Oeste
5. Hispa?ola
6. Despertar
7. Jardines Metropolitanos
8. Villa Olga
9. Reparto Oquet
10.Reparto Universitario
11. La Loteria

The least desireable IMO
1. Anything south of the Arroyo Nibaje, including
Nibaje, Los Guandules. Villa Ol?mpica, etc etc
2. With the exception of the Historical Center, anything below 30 de Marzo
3. Cienfuegos
4. Los Salados
5. Los Reyes
anything north of the Estrella Sadhala between Bartolom? Col?n and the start of the Joaquin Balaguer Highway.

Just IMO (noting that there are decent spots in many area (well maybe not Cienfuegos)....such as the area close to the
Bermudes warehouses--Mejoramiento Social, or Las Colinas/INVI.....

HB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Well first let me say that the most modern and some say the largest gym in the Caribbean is on the PUCMM campus and open to the public.

Next, that Amaprosan has a pool that can be used on a day pass, and there is an aquapark at the end of Hispanoamericana Avenue.

As for restaurants:
I don't know where to start...there is a Brazilian place on Calle del Sol "the street that goes down hill" that is outstanding. On the
right as you "go downhill.
There it trattoria Claudio in the Jardines, together with a real Mexican place on Calle 7...Claudio is on Calle 5 The streets in the Jardines
Metropolitanos that cross the Avenida Metropolitana are odd-numbered, starting with 3-5-7-9 etc.
There are perhaps 20 good places to eat in the area off of Avenida Metropolitana, including the Terracita at the corner of
Metropolitana and Calle 9 (also known as Rep?blica del L?bano) ..everything from Sushi-ya to Vegan.

Regarding dancing, you probably need to meet someone at Ahi-bar and take off from there. Perhaps a "tipico" like Rancho Andy?

As for neighborhoods
1. Cerro de Gurabo
2. Esmeralda
3. Rincon Largo
4. Tavarez Oeste
5. Hispa?ola
6. Despertar
7. Jardines Metropolitanos
8. Villa Olga
9. Reparto Oquet
10.Reparto Universitario
11. La Loteria

The least desireable IMO
1. Anything south of the Arroyo Nibaje, including
Nibaje, Los Guandules. Villa Ol?mpica, etc etc
2. With the exception of the Historical Center, anything below 30 de Marzo
3. Cienfuegos
4. Los Salados
5. Los Reyes
anything north of the Estrella Sadhala between Bartolom? Col?n and the start of the Joaquin Balaguer Highway.

Just IMO (noting that there are decent spots in many area (well maybe not Cienfuegos)....such as the area close to the
Bermudes warehouses--Mejoramiento Social, or Las Colinas/INVI.....

HB

Nice choices Hillbilly.

How about for pizza? I know you are a pizza connoisseur.

Apr 7, 2014
Are you looking to do research on where your pre-arranged dates are from?
He could look at the garbage on the street to tell him precisely if it is a good neighborhood or not. Bad neighborhoods will have garbage everywhere and good neighborhoods wont.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Are you looking to do research on where your pre-arranged dates are from?

That would be useful information I guess. But it is not the case with me. :)
The only self employed woman i would like are empresarias.

I like to know where I can find locations, I am comfortable and maybe be occupied with similar minded people. Sometime I want to be in worst areas to know what is not working in a country. Plus, pick up some street wisdom from people and survival skills.

Most of the time, I am looking for where I could live in the future and make real friends.

Every trip, I notice places I missed the chance to see. Events, i should have schedule to be in attendance. Being with people really worth talking with and learning about the world outside of the American bubble.

This advice is helping me develop a routine and maybe one day, spot that empresaria worth asking out for cena.

Thanks

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
He could look at the garbage on the street to tell him precisely if it is a good neighborhood or not. Bad neighborhoods will have garbage everywhere and good neighborhoods wont.

Sanitation is an indicator, however, in some parts of the island, some services are not consistent and maybe be misleading, street lights, bars on windows, people on corners, etc.

A community could be improving or deteriorating from the current state. I defer to all experience opinions.

Thank you for the advice.

Apr 7, 2014
Sanitation is an indicator, however, in some parts of the island, some services are not consistent and maybe be misleading, street lights, bars on windows, people on corners, etc.

A community could be improving or deteriorating from the current state. I defer to all experience opinions.

Thank you for the advice.
Maybe, you have a point. BUT...there is a visibly marked difference between walking down Avenida d Texas and being in Buenos Aires. In the latter, you know you are in the slums.
Walking those streets Hollywood Cine and Bella Terra Mall has a South Beach ambiance while walking in El Egido feels like buying crack in Opa Locka.

You will see, affluent neighborhoods wont have litter anywhere. Decrepit barrios will have trash everywhere.

What you want to know is how to meet the people in the affluent neighborhoods.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Nice choices Hillbilly.

This wasn't directed to me but I've eaten plenty of pizza here.

To be honest, I haven't had a real, solid slice where I thought, "wow, that's good PIZZA!"

The main chains like Dominos and Pizza Hut are close but if you've eaten them here or in the States, you know it's not really authentic pizza.

Pizzarelli's pizzone is really good, and I can't say it isn't - but it still lacks that real Italian style pizza sauce when you know you're eating a really damn good pizza.

If anyone, and I've asked this before, knows of a place where I can get quality pizza like New York or Chicago, I will go and if it's everything that it's cracked up to be, I'll buy you a slice (or two) no questions asked.

-----------------------------

Hillbilly is pretty spot on about the neighborhoods.

I'd add La Hoya as well for less desirable and definitely, Pueblo Nuevo is an area to avoid by yourself.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Nice choices Hillbilly.

212 New York pizza a block south of McDonalds on Calle San Luis has good pizza by the slice. Its much better than that crap they sell at Munchi's on Luperon.

Apr 7, 2014

To be honest, I haven't had a real, solid slice where I thought, "wow, that's good PIZZA!"

The main chains like Dominos and Pizza Hut are close but if you've eaten them here or in the States, you know it's not really authentic pizza.

Pizzarelli's pizzone is really good, and I can't say it isn't - but it still lacks that real Italian style pizza sauce when you know you're eating a really damn good pizza.

If anyone, and I've asked this before, knows of a place where I can get quality pizza like New York or Chicago, I will go and if it's everything that it's cracked up to be, I'll buy you a slice (or two) no questions asked.

I'd add La Hoya as well for less desirable and definitely, Pueblo Nuevo is an area to avoid by yourself.
Pizzarelli?????? You lose. Come on now. The best thing at Pizzarelli is the soda.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Maybe, you have a point. BUT...there is a visibly marked difference between walking down Avenida d Texas and being in Buenos Aires. In the latter, you know you are in the slums.
Walking those streets Hollywood Cine and Bella Terra Mall has a South Beach ambiance while walking in El Egido feels like buying crack in Opa Locka.

You will see, affluent neighborhoods wont have litter anywhere. Decrepit barrios will have trash everywhere.

What you want to know is how to meet the people in the affluent neighborhoods.

Your ambiance point is correct.
I welcome suggestions on meeting people and were not to be a certain times of the day.

Finding the best deal to rent and have access to all my priorities, is my interest. Being secluded away from locals or exclusively around the affluent does not appeal to me. Having a list of places in different countries to call home for a while, does.

When meeting people in general, knowing the neighborhood and other facts helps to understand more about them.

I desire proximity of people who read the newspaper, maybe watch some noticias, knows the social and political climate of the country, etc. Definitely some affluent people fall in this category, however it is not exclusive to them.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Pizzarelli?????? You lose. Come on now. The best thing at Pizzarelli is the soda.

The regular pizza sucks, it's terrible.

The pizzone (huge pizza) is good. It'd be better if they put more sauce on it but that seems to be a running trend in all pizza I've eaten here. Watered down sauce that covers 1/2 of the pizza.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The regular pizza sucks, it's terrible.

The pizzone (huge pizza) is good. It'd be better if they put more sauce on it but that seems to be a running trend in all pizza I've eaten here. Watered down sauce that covers 1/2 of the pizza.

what really sucks is calling that stuff pizza.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

I am surprised La Trinitaria is not in the list of decent neighborhoods. For pizza, try Piccola on the corner of Metropolitana and Los Jardines park. Cant go wrong with their Jamon Cocido y Hongos.