How to shop for real estate in DR?

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
Hey there,

We're set to come to DR in October with the hope of checking out some property to get an idea of how far our dollar will go. Of course, online listings have given us a general idea. Nothing beats seeing something in the flesh however! Online seems to be limited in selection, as well.

Hoping anyone who has gone through the purchasing process could suggest the best way to go about viewing properties. I understand real estate agents only show you properties they are selling in their portfolio. Is it common/accepted to reach out to numerous real estate agents to see what's out there when looking to buy? Anyone you'd recommend/steer clear of in particular?

Miranda & Kate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
If you are Canadian forget it. The CAD is at 76 cents, and after bank fees exchange 74 cents. Worst time for Canucks to be buying re in the DR. However if you are americanos forget everything I wrote above. Good time for Yankees to buy stuff here dollar wise.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
We're set to come to DR in October with the hope of checking out some property to get an idea of how far our dollar will go.

Nothing wrong with that.
Buying or renting?
Most RE agents will hate you for telling them what we always recommend: "Rent (I say: at least for a year) before you buy". :bunny:

BTW, any motoconcho is as good as a RE agent here. Cheaper, too. ;)

donP

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
Nothing wrong with that.
Buying or renting?
Most RE agents will hate you for telling them what we always recommend: "Rent (I say: at least for a year) before you buy". :bunny:

BTW, any motoconcho is as good as a RE agent here. Cheaper, too. ;)

donP

YES donP! Motoconcho it is.

Buying, we've stayed in DR many times, often for a month+ and are confident we understand what we're getting into - as much as one possibly can lol. If we don't find the right buy though, we'll rent until we come across the right home/hostel for us.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
May the Caribbean Gods Prevent This

Buying, we've stayed in DR many times, often for a month+ and are confident we understand what we're getting into...

You don't. :classic:

...we'll rent until we come across the right home/hostel for us.

Crissy says, with the help of all Caribbean Gods you better not find the 'right' property too soon. :laugh:

donP

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
If you are Canadian forget it. The CAD is at 76 cents, and after bank fees exchange 74 cents. Worst time for Canucks to be buying re in the DR. However if you are americanos forget everything I wrote above. Good time for Yankees to buy stuff here dollar wise.

All true. We are Canadian, we won't be buying for 12mths. Would be nice if it was a better dollar at that time, but we aren't counting on it.

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
You don't. :classic:

Crissy says, with the help of all Caribbean Gods you better not find the 'right' property too soon. :laugh:

donP

Hence the "as much as one possibly can lol" - it's obvious DR has many challenges. It'll either be for us, or it won't. We won't be renting, our many visits to DR/Haiti are sufficient for us to commit to buying immediately.

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
:cheeky:

Yeah...

donP

To clarify: we are moving to DR in 12mths and ideally, buying immediately. If we don't find something between now and then, we will move anyway and rent. Renting is our plan b) that we'd really prefer not to do.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
Better off figuring out which area you want to move to and ride around yourself. If you're in a relationship with a Dominican its better to send them to talk to the owner. Once they see foreigner the price will jump by 50%, maybe 100%.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
All true. We are Canadian, we won't be buying for 12mths. Would be nice if it was a better dollar at that time, but we aren't counting on it.

We bought 9 years ago, dollar was the craps then too but we never regret it

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
great to buy an adventure....get a local rep....forget r.e. agents... put rep on a % basis...property in d.r is a slow sale...money is the key....get your money in line find a rep...let them negotiate for you... sometimes they work both sides of the deal ...who cares,,,
ex. you found a moutain property... asking 900Kus...you have inspected/viewed and love it.. this property is on the mkt for 3 yrs....they want money....you can save plenty w/ a rep...

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
If you are interested in Cabrera I have an Re agent that is honest and reliable and will do well for you. Now, before you get 10 replies from people laughing hysterically you should know that there really is such an animal. This woman is fluent in Spanish (been here 23 years) and is a Canadian. So, if Cabrera is your destination let me know!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There is nothing to stop you registering with all the RE agents you can find online for the area.

By the way, although I would also normally recommend to rent here before buying, it can work to just go in and buy, especially if you know the area well. I did, and was lucky enough to have a positive experience.

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
YES donP! Motoconcho it is.

Buying, we've stayed in DR many times, often for a month+ and are confident we understand what we're getting into - as much as one possibly can lol. If we don't find the right buy though, we'll rent until we come across the right home/hostel for us.

Pay attention; i have bought a great deal of real estate here.
Do NOT trust lawyers.... many are duplicitous scoundrels.
The only person you can trust during this property buying exersize
is your romantic partner.
Do not assume service providers along the way have your best interest at heart...THEY DON'T.
Only use DR lawyers Guzman Ariza. Once you pay a DR service provider, and if you require your
money back from them, due to poor service provision...consider the money gone....GONE. Even if it's $10000.00 , 20, 80 plus grand.
The courts will never support you.
The only company that refunded me money was Guzman Ariza lawyers
Keep as many people as you can away from the 'till'..... a general rule only
Make sure your property has a deslinde. No deslinde...DONT YOU OPEN YOUR WALLET. NO matter what the real estate tells you.
Nothing will be done properly, correctly, or on time.....EVER. Even if your lawyer does their job correctly there are other
ignoramuses along the way to contend with.
Many people you meet along the way, foreigners included will want a cut.... quid pro quo!!!! The foreigner ( your neighbour, local guy you meet at the bar or
whomever will present to you as friendly , helpful,
keen to go out of his or her way, for you. NOOOOOOOO this is a facade. Eventually they will want something from you, expect it.
Fence your property and secure the land immediately post purchase. Fence it with block, or what ever.
That way people will not be able to encroach on your land. And yes there are legal writings that support this.
Have that deslinde checked and re-checked- even my first property's deslinde was not correctly entered into the GPS system,
until my new lawyer found it, notified me, and fixed it....she says?????.
Stay away from a POP lawyer with a DR rum company for a name...RUN
Documents can be fabricated, and were in my case. Something i am still fighting for 7 years later
Remember that the majority of DR ( not all) people are poorly educated, peasants with one thing on their mind.....SURVIVAL. Some
important people you meet along the way, that you feel are your equal in life i.e morals, business acumen, integrity, intelligence, honor
are anything, but that! I even bought land from a Mayor and he didnt do what he said he would do.
I have constantly endured attempts to rip me off, from coraplatas head honcho in cabarete through to a
supposed land owner who sold me land. He didnt own the land ( he fabricated documents,
he consorted with a dodgy lawyer that i just happened to chose myself - by chance he knew her)
Buy in an estate that is 100% secure and far far away from the barrios....as much as is possible!!!
Im not saying RUN. Im saying be careful. Invest as much as you are willing to lose
Kisses
Lovemedo

Last edited:

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
great to buy an adventure....get a local rep....forget r.e. agents... put rep on a % basis...property in d.r is a slow sale...money is the key....get your money in line find a rep...let them negotiate for you... sometimes they work both sides of the deal ...who cares,,,
ex. you found a moutain property... asking 900Kus...you have inspected/viewed and love it.. this property is on the mkt for 3 yrs....they want money....you can save plenty w/ a rep...

That said, if anyone can recommend a quality buyers rep or can tell me where to look for one, I'd appreciate the advice!

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
Pay attention; i have bought a great deal of real estate here.
Do NOT trust lawyers.... many are duplicitous scoundrels.
The only person you can trust during this property buying exersize
is your romantic partner.
Do not assume service providers along the way have your best interest at heart...THEY DON'T.
Only use DR lawyers Guzman Ariza. Once you pay a DR service provider, and if you require your
money back from them, due to poor service provision...consider the money gone....GONE. Even if it's $10000.00 , 20, 80 plus grand.
The courts will never support you.
The only company that refunded me money was Guzman Ariza lawyers
Keep as many people as you can away from the 'till'..... a general rule only
Make sure your property has a deslinde. No deslinde...DONT YOU OPEN YOUR WALLET. NO matter what the real estate tells you.
Nothing will be done properly, correctly, or on time.....EVER. Even if your lawyer does their job correctly there are other
ignoramuses along the way to contend with.
Many people you meet along the way, foreigners included will want a cut.... quid pro quo!!!! The foreigner ( your neighbour, local guy you meet at the bar or
whomever will present to you as friendly , helpful,
keen to go out of his or her way, for you. NOOOOOOOO this is a facade. Eventually they will want something from you, expect it.
Fence your property and secure the land immediately post purchase. Fence it with block, or what ever.
That way people will not be able to encroach on your land. And yes there are legal writings that support this.
Have that deslinde checked and re-checked- even my first property's deslinde was not correctly entered into the GPS system,
until my new lawyer found it, notified me, and fixed it....she says?????.
Stay away from a POP lawyer with a DR rum company for a name...RUN
Documents can be fabricated, and were in my case. Something i am still fighting for 7 years later
Remember that the majority of DR ( not all) people are poorly educated, peasants with one thing on their mind.....SURVIVAL. Some
important people you meet along the way, that you feel are your equal in life i.e morals, business acumen, integrity, intelligence, honor
are anything, but that! I even bought land from a Mayor and he didnt do what he said he would do.
I have constantly endured attempts to rip me off, from coraplatas head honcho in cabarete through to a
supposed land owner who sold me land. He didnt own the land ( he fabricated documents,
he consorted with a dodgy lawyer that i just happened to chose myself - by chance he knew her)
Buy in an estate that is 100% secure and far far away from the barrios....as much as is possible!!!
Im not saying RUN. Im saying be careful. Invest as much as you are willing to lose
Kisses
Lovemedo

Every story shared on here really helps keep me on my toes and know what to look for. Thanks for sharing!

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
If you are interested in Cabrera I have an Re agent that is honest and reliable and will do well for you. Now, before you get 10 replies from people laughing hysterically you should know that there really is such an animal. This woman is fluent in Spanish (been here 23 years) and is a Canadian. So, if Cabrera is your destination let me know!

We are considering as far east as Las Terrenas! Would love their info if you can send me a message!