Auto body paint tutor

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My new project is about to start. A 1999 Toyota Prado.

So first things first will be undoing sixteen years of Dominican workmanship. Doing the mechanics and electrics is my forte and also my hobby, however one aspect of car restoration I would like to learn is doing the bodywork.

I have a good sized very well equipped garage and a very good compressor. I am looking for someone who can teach me how to paint a vehicle with a professional finish. The Prado is actually in very good condition. It's not rusty and doesn't have any dents. it's just that the paint is a bit tired. I know I could send it to a local paint shop and get a very good job for very little money, but that's not the point. I want to learn how to do it myself.

Any takers? I'm in Cabarete.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Painting is the easy part. Prepping and sanding after painting will make you wish you had somebody else do it.

learning to paint by painting your own car is not a good idea. there is a lot more to painting than one might suspect.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Oddly enough.. I have also had this idea regarding body work. Thankfully, I have not acted upon it, but once you get it worked out can I be your "fren"?
I am right here in Cabarete.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
got some good answers already... want to paint get paint. gun compressor sanding paper rags thinner and some junk metal ...start shooting.... painting a car is very diff...so much has gone into the job ....and first read a book..forget videos... fisheye???runs???overspray???underspray? car paint is expensive...talent???for the job...
my older bro an artist knows and can do all with cars etc really finds it diff. to paint a motorcycle gas tank.../////of course if you find a painter and u have seen/.inspected his work hire him by the day to come to your space...and u watch and learn.. learn to pay or pay to learn...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Painting is the easy part. Prepping and sanding after painting will make you wish you had somebody else do it.

and now the two colors. tones oversprays beautiful cars coming out...:rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
just find a "artist" car painter and practice on small things metal swingsets???

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
My new project is about to start. A 1999 Toyota Prado.

So first things first will be undoing sixteen years of Dominican workmanship. Doing the mechanics and electrics is my forte and also my hobby, however one aspect of car restoration I would like to learn is doing the bodywork.

I have a good sized very well equipped garage and a very good compressor. I am looking for someone who can teach me how to paint a vehicle with a professional finish. The Prado is actually in very good condition. It's not rusty and doesn't have any dents. it's just that the paint is a bit tired. I know I could send it to a local paint shop and get a very good job for very little money, but that's not the point. I want to learn how to do it myself.

Any takers? I'm in Cabarete.

Men, I really wish I was in Cabarete, I have experience on painting car, if you need any tips feel free to contact me.
Remember, when you thought you are finished with sanding, you are only half way there.

Apr 7, 2014
Well this is a Prado so it isnt as bad as it sounds. The truck is oblong so that prep will take along time.
But who cares????
Paint the whole car in Flat Black Rhino Bed Liner and it will the most durable paint job ever for this country.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Men, I really wish I was in Cabarete, I have experience on painting car, if you need any tips feel free to contact me.
Remember, when you thought you are finished with sanding, you are only half way there.

and then remember to "touch it " feel it

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Before going to paint, have you considered a good paint cleaning? You may want to try hitting the jeepeta all over with a clay bar, then buff, compound and wax. I have saved a few cars from a respray by using this method . Painting is a big job where experience is very important. A nice clean detail will look much better then a semi pro paint job.

Rhino liner is extreme, reserved only for true beaters, imho.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I have done some expensive vehicles with bed liner, even new ford pickups. but mainly in the front and lower areas. we did many old suv's. I like it for off road. I had a paint and restoration shop in Pasadena for years. Painting a car is really not that tough to do if you have some guidance. the cost is the tools for the first time is very expensive. you have to determine the result you want
needed
decent compressor. I mean decent not something cheap.
air dryer and filter
hose strictly for tools
hose strictly for painting
DA sander good quality
decent spray gun for primer, just about any will work
high quality gun for color coat
superior quality gun 5-600.00 usd for a Sata or eqv for clear coat if two coat system
razor blades , nib cutters, masking paper adds up for one car

3000.00 or more easily
not including paint.
So you are looking at 4-5000 to paint this SUV the first time.

bed line it you do not need a silicon free spray area to do. no spray gun just a drywall texture gun and material about 1000 to 1500 to do entire vehicle

I can show you how to do a great job the first time if you want to learn.
I would consider what kapitan75 said and maybe with some bed liner colored or black trim in places.

another crazy idea is to camo wrap it. we did those also. or hear again a combination wrap and clean up.

I am in Puerto plata

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Masking the windows, lights, trim, etc. is very time consuming and not an easy job if you want a professional look when done. It's not like masking the windows and trim in your home where everything is in a straight line.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think a Prado was a pickup?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Listen to Popeye.

The wrap is a good idea....

all the exotic guys wrap.... then change when they tire of it.
and for the record, flat black is a very popular wrap.....

Batman sort of............

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Masking the windows, lights, trim, etc. is very time consuming and not an easy job if you want a professional look when done. It's not like masking the windows and trim in your home where everything is in a straight line.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think a Prado was a pickup?

its fun if you enjoy body work. my painter made 1500 to 2000 a week just moving from booth to booth. zero prep work. I owned the business, I did prep work hahahaha

A prado is an SUV to me but some call them trucks, my wife calls them a bus

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
it won't be that here

if you can get it, but I see them.... the advertising ones.
so, they're here...

I still buy material . I am a dealer for some wraps. a quality wrap from 3M is not inexpensive. I am sure you can get some cheap wraps here