Robbed in La Sirena

Valletta

Dec 13, 2009
We just went to the La Sirena on Bartholme Colon. Lots of people as the kids start school tomorrow. When I went to get the bags that we had put in the secure boxes, they were not there. There was also a disgruntled Dominican who lost a laptop.
What had happened was that someone saw the laptop and our bags. They told the management that they had forgotten the number on the box and she obligingly open the boxes with a key and gave all our stuff to the ladrones.
I told the big boss that the store had actually opened up our box and given our property away. The lady who had done the deed just kept smiling. The boss took our phone numbers and said that if they find anything they will call us. The Dominican Geek told us that we were never going to see our stuff again and he was really ****ed off.
I find it odd that the store has no culpability in the fact that they opened our secure box and gave our stuff away. Then again this is the DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Nobody is responsible.

...we had put in the secure boxes, they were not there....our secure box ....

Hmm, is that what they call them? :cheeky:
The employee with the master key is responsible.
Oh, did I say responsible? :cheeky:

Another case of "no fui yo".

donP

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You said it at the end, Its the Dominican Republic and things are not what they seem. In the real world your stuff would be safe and what you did was normal behavior. Even for the DR this is a little bit outrageous. Sounds like the Dom was hit harder than you. Normally its the gringo that takes the big hit. I will not use any secure box service in the DR in the future so maybe your posting will help out some others. Thanks for posting.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I trust those locks at Pola as much as I have faith in secure TSA luggage locks.

Valletta

Dec 13, 2009
You said it at the end, Its the Dominican Republic and things are not what they seem. In the real world your stuff would be safe and what you did was normal behavior. Even for the DR this is a little bit outrageous. Sounds like the Dom was hit harder than you. Normally its the gringo that takes the big hit. I will not use any secure box service in the DR in the future so maybe your posting will help out some others. Thanks for posting.
I agree the Dom was hit harder and I'm glad I spoke to him because he knew he lost more than me and he made it quite clear that there was no way in hell neither of us were getting our stuff back. I did forget to mention in my post that I wanted to alert people to this incident so they can make an informed decision whether to use these lockers. I will use tote bags in the future that my wife will obligingly stuff in her handbag, she'll even buy a bigger handbag if need be. I think she was sold on the thought of shopping for a new handbag.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We just went to the La Sirena on Bartholme Colon. Lots of people as the kids start school tomorrow. When I went to get the bags that we had put in the secure boxes, they were not there. There was also a disgruntled Dominican who lost a laptop.
What had happened was that someone saw the laptop and our bags. They told the management that they had forgotten the number on the box and she obligingly open the boxes with a key and gave all our stuff to the ladrones.
I told the big boss that the store had actually opened up our box and given our property away. The lady who had done the deed just kept smiling. The boss took our phone numbers and said that if they find anything they will call us. The Dominican Geek told us that we were never going to see our stuff again and he was really ****ed off.
I find it odd that the store has no culpability in the fact that they opened our secure box and gave our stuff away. Then again this is the DR.

i do not doubt your story, but it is so ridiculous that it makes me hesitant. first off, if you have a box, you have a key. nobody is that dumb to forget the approximate area they chose to lock their stuff. a rep with a quarter of a brain would demand the presentation of a key, and would have tried it in every strongbox in that area until finding which box the key fit. nobody can be that dumb...

Aug 31, 2011
Not all of the boxes are designed for keys. We were in Bravo in Santo Domingo and we had to make up a 4 digit number to lock our box.

Valletta

Dec 13, 2009
i do not doubt your story, but it is so ridiculous that it makes me hesitant. first off, if you have a box, you have a key. nobody is that dumb to forget the approximate area they chose to lock their stuff. a rep with a quarter of a brain would demand the presentation of a key, and would have tried it in every strongbox in that area until finding which box the key fit. nobody can be that dumb...
Please do not reply if you are ignorant of the system they use in this store. As Bucket said it is a 4 digit number not a key on a clear plexiglass door so everyone can see what is worth taking. Never liked this because I forgot the number the first time I used it. Sounds like you do doubt my story however I did not write it for your approval I wrote it to help. Is this not what I am supposed to do, help?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Rep

... a rep with a quarter of a brain would demand the presentation of a key, and would have tried it in every strongbox in that area until finding which box the key fit. nobody can be that dumb...

You seem to forget, that the rep was a Dominicana.... :cheeky:
Maybe she was even in it with the thieves.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you for your help.

People who cannot remember 4 digit numbers are now on alert.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Please do not reply if you are ignorant of the system they use in this store. As Bucket said it is a 4 digit number not a key on a clear plexiglass door so everyone can see what is worth taking. Never liked this because I forgot the number the first time I used it. Sounds like you do doubt my story however I did not write it for your approval I wrote it to help. Is this not what I am supposed to do, help?

actually, you seem to have a comprehension problem. i did not say that i doubted you. as a matter of fact, if you read the first few words of my posting, you will see where i make the specific statement that i do not doubt you. i then go on to say that it is so nonsensical on the part of the personnel of La Sirena, i am hard pressed to believe that anyone can be that dumb.

here is why. if i claim to have locked my stuff in a storage, and claim to have lost the key, then it should be simple to resolve. first, i would have to tell the rep how many bags are in the storage. then, i should have to describe and itemize the itms in the bags. forcing me to identify and itemize the articles would be a sufficient deterrent. as to the laptop...there must be questions such as a password to get it working which would make it near impossible for a guy to leave the store with someone else?s property. besides, if i locked a lap`top in a storage, it would be difficult for a guy to tell the clerk the exact make and model, and relevant info such as a description of the design of the screen saver.

the fact that there is not such a failsafe in La Sirena is what makes me hesitant to accept that this happened. i know it did. i just cannot accept the idea that people can be so birdbrained.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
E' Facil

actually, you seem to have a comprehension problem....the fact that there is not such a failsafe in La Sirena is what makes me hesitant to accept that this happened. i know it did. i just cannt accept the idea that people can be so birdbrained.

Was it not the employee who without hesitation helped the thieves to other people's belongings?
Unbelievable?
No, not in the DR.

She just could not care less (that's why she was just smiling...). :bunny:
They simply do whatever they want. No consequences. :tired:

Chivas frolicking about.... :bunny:
Oh, the easy life!

donP