Samana - what's up with the smoke?

Aug 31, 2011
The rain was a welcome relief from this horrible smoke. It must be toxic, it is settling down and you can see the cloud hovering. But it's back now. Is this new or a usual burn?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Saman?'s Einsteins

The rain was a welcome relief from this horrible smoke. It must be toxic, it is settling down and you can see the cloud hovering. But it's back now. Is this new or a usual burn?

Where in Saman? did you experience this?

The rain is indeed welcome, because the Einsteins of this peninsula take advantage of even the severest drought to start bush fires and then just run away... :tired:
Toxic?
Same thing, they like to burn trash (especially plastic).

donP

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
in the Dominican context
nada mas peligrosa que un bruto con initiativo...
Nothing more dangerous then a brute with initiative...

Aug 31, 2011
TeleCable And we saw it Saturday night above the hill of Telecable then it settled down over all the malecon. From Telecable you could see the hovering smoke. Then yesterday, even though it was cool last night from the rain, we had to shut all the windows. It definitely was plastic burning.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Saman? Town

TeleCable And we saw it Saturday night above the hill of Telecable then it settled down over all the malecon. From Telecable you could see the hovering smoke. Then yesterday, even though it was cool last night from the rain, we had to shut all the windows. It definitely was plastic burning.

So, it seems, you are reporting this from Santa B?rbara de Saman??

donP

Aug 31, 2011
Burning Plastic & mix with rain - sounds like China - Toxic!

So, it seems, you are reporting this from Santa B?rbara de Saman??

donP

Yes, we are there. I just saw the report about the explosion in china and the chemicals that mix with water form a very toxic substance. They are looking at the rain that is due in a few days. I spoke with the locals here and this is "new" to long-timers. I was thinking - Rain will make it better, but seems like it is worse.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I was playing golf very late in the afternoon in La Romana and the smell of burning was overwhelming but I saw nothing from the chimney stacks of the sugar mill ..but in Zona Colonial later that night the air was clear

Aug 31, 2011
I'm in Samana City and the burning of trash is so intense that my throat is irritated everytime I return home. Several people are developing coughs and only when the Hotel guests complained did we get a LOT of bombero action. Will someone complain to the tourism? Or is this a matter of whether I need to move out of Dodge?

May 29, 2006
First thing I noticed getting out of the airport in Santiago was the smell of burning plastic. Great first impression for tourists.. Small brush fires all over the north coast when I was there a couple weeks ago. It would be nice if they limited fires to one or two days a month..

Aug 31, 2011
It's been 8 straight weeks here in Samana. It is very toxic and no one seems to care. They say "oh, they're 'loco'
". If the tourists complain -- they put more water on it to subdue it for a day -- but it starts up again. Heavy clouds of smoke over Samana City.

tjsadler

Jun 23, 2011
It's been 8 straight weeks here in Samana. It is very toxic and no one seems to care. They say "oh, they're 'loco'
". If the tourists complain -- they put more water on it to subdue it for a day -- but it starts up again. Heavy clouds of smoke over Samana City.

It's from the landfill just over the other side of the hill from telecable/fortalezza vieja/panchito. They burn the garbage. I agree it's awful and about all you can do is avoid staying on that side of town, particularly near the top of the hill. (I used to live right at the top and when they're burning it's unbearable.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Where in Saman? did you experience this?

The rain is indeed welcome, because the Einsteins of this peninsula take advantage of even the severest drought to start bush fires and then just run away... :tired:
Toxic?
Same thing, they like to burn trash (especially plastic).

donP

ha they dont like but maybe you could set up a disposal fund to recycle and dispose of all the plastic crap donations start at the 100k$ entry... and bring a bunch of your similiar minded friends associates etc...u could be c.e.o.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It's from the landfill just over the other side of the hill from telecable/fortalezza vieja/panchito. They burn the garbage. I agree it's awful and about all you can do is avoid staying on that side of town, particularly near the top of the hill. (I used to live right at the top and when they're burning it's unbearable.

Talk about Carbon Footprint of chemical polution welcome to paradise. Paradise doesn't come without a price.