I've just now seen the 500# Gorilla!!

CES

Jan 1, 2002
. . . and say you, "And how is that possible?". 'and say I . . .

Mrs. CES was watching something on "Univision", a highly stylized music video by Gloria Estefan & company ('los Come Solos'), called "No Me Dejes de Querer", I think. The thing that caught my eye was the "feel" or ambiance created in the production. In the video Gloria was delivering her song on a stage set portraying, in my mind, an 'old Havana night club', at least that's how I would describe the video. There in comes the "gorilla thing" namely the day that Fidel is no longer on the scene in Cuba. Some time ago, on the alternative BB Forum ***, we had 'a good thread' predicated on the 'gorilla theme'. "and what the hell is the gorilla thing?", you might ask. Simply the day that USA citizens are able to travel freely to Cuba. My question, in that thread was, " What will happen to the tourism industry in DR when Cuba becomes a destination for USA citizens en mass. The video brought to mind my boyhood visualization of Havana in the 40's, 50's, when 10's of thousands of Yankees were traveling down to Havana (some times just for a long weekend) on vacation. Our discussion waxed and waned on how tourism would suffer in the DR when Cuba, and rightly so, becomes a major player as a world class holiday destination. Andy B., Tom, Tgf, Dr. ECH, Jim H. and others participated in that thread. . .

. . . CES

*** The "alternative BB Forum" has gone through a metamorphosis since we had that exchange, the continuation of the old forum is called "~ Dominican Republic + La Rep?blica Dominicana ~".

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Metaphors? or Metamorphosis

Just kidding, I know what you were thinking, I think..
hb

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Damn, busted by the spelling police again! :)

A long time ago it was a dark & stormy nite. . .Oh but I digress. . .

Hi HB,

As is my lot in life I'm aflacked with "lessdexeeah", and I gess 'spiel check' is unable to read mines (if it can find them) in it's present version. . .

regards,

Charlie -:)-

PS . . . BTW our daughter would like to reply to your Caball? post over yonder on that other BB. . .

CES

Jan 1, 2002
This just in! "Raul Castro is gay" (allegedly :)

Just saw this on the "other" BB

. . . CES -:)-

Date: 01/12/02

Name: Anonymous

Subject: Re: Re: I've just now seen the 500# Gorilla!!

Just because Fidel said it you believe is true. Raul Castro is hated by most Cubans. Even the
Fidel fans call him various insulting names due to his alleged Homosexuality. The Cult of
personality of Fidel is strong. Raul has no Charisma. Fidels main reason for staying in Power is
that he is smart enough to let the disgruntaled leave. This way there is never any large group
formenting trouble.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[to see thread, click on ---> ]

http://pub14.bravenet.com/forum/fetch.php?id=9802878&usernum=1128934881

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
CES

Can you please start all over again. This could develop into something interesting if you stick to one subject. Nonetheless, all the themes look interesting.
Pepe

Last edited:

Matt G.

Jan 7, 2002
It would take many years

It would take many years for Cuba to be considered a holiday destination. When fidel dies ( and that is the only way he goes ) I predict years of infighting among those left in control. You'r right about Raul..he's just a "mariconsito" and will never have the control fidel does. The problem I see is...... why can't we do something to lower the plane fares to the DR. This is absurd.
We need to work towards changing the monopoly that American has now.
I don't think we need to worry about Cuba.

C

Caral

Cuba

All I know is that more Canadians are travelling to Cuba than to the DR. Also, Germans. If you are wondering where all the tourists have disappeared to....

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Re: It would take many years

Matt G. said:
The problem I see is...... why can't we do something to lower the plane fares to the DR. This is absurd.
We need to work towards changing the monopoly that American has now.

When you'll know the recipe to lower the fares let us know it. My husband and I just paid 1 500$ CDN (each one) February 18 - May 24, Montreal - Miami - La Romana - Miami - Montreal.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Lyse

Could you clear that up a little on what you and your Husband paid? I can't tell if it is 2000.00 per person or for both?????I'm interested because the Wife and I are going to the Dr by way of Miami....for some reason she want's to buy some things in Miami

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Re: Doug

doug said:
Could you clear that up a little on what you and your Husband paid? I can't tell if it is 2000.00 per person or for both?????I'm interested because the Wife and I are going to the Dr by way of Miami....for some reason she want's to buy some things in Miami

We paid last Monday 1500$ Canadian per person with A.A. We are leaving February 18th (Montreal Dorval - Miami). We will stay one week in Florida. On February 25th we will fly Miami - La Romana. We are coming back May 24th (La Romana - Miami- Montreal).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might want to check out

Aeromar out of Miami. Also the new airport is supposed to open in Santiago in March with service from Northwest and American but I am sure that there will be more flying in here..

HB

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Re: It would take many years

Originally posted by Matt G.

It would take many years for Cuba to be considered a holiday destination.

I predict years of infighting among those left in control.

We need to work towards changing the monopoly that American <---( American Airlines ) has now.

I don't think we need to worry about Cuba.

Good points Matt. There will a plethora of court battles to settle the ownership all the properties
Fidel confiscated. Once those issues are settled then it's 'Look out World, Here we Come'. Numerous outside interests and all the Cuban Nationals here (USA) with 'BIG MONEY' will descend on Cuba to participate in the frenzy to develop the country.

I've heard that international gaming interests are willing to spend mega$money in Havana, the reason
being (as I see it) the cost of doing business, the ol' bottom line thing. It's going to be a lot cheaper to do business in Cuba than Atlantic City and it only takes one Donald Trump to set the thing in motion.

I do think that some day we will have to be very concerned with the development of BIG$DOLLAR tourism development in the former 'commie' Cuba and as I've tried to point out in the thread opener the name reconition that "Old Havana" has is, (to barrow from the creditcard cmmercial) in a word. . . "Priceless". . .

Try this little test --->

Say the following out load:

"Havana, Cuba - . . . Hemingway"

"Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - . . . Hip?lito"

On the average if you were to stop ten people in the street and recite the above,how many of the ten would recognize the latter and it's context? ? ?

http://www.timelesshemingway.com/

http://www.timelesshemingway.com/hemrugged.jpg

regards,

. . . CES

PS . . . check the = thread as it has developed on ~ DR + RD ~ Forum:

http://pub14.bravenet.com/forum/fetch.php?id=9804460&usernum=1128934881

Last edited:
C

Caral

Cuba is open and booming, in Tourism

Hello. There are no problems in developing resorts in Cuba. Varadero is up and running and tourism has been keeping the Cubans alive for years now. Is there some kind of news blackout in the U.S.? Germans, Spaniards, etc. have poured millions of dollars into the resort industry. Now Havana has not been developed, and hopefully will never be. Restored, perhaps. Compare the success of the Buena Vista Social Club to any touring Dominican artist. Original, passionate Cuban music si. Son, si. I don't know what may be left of Dominican culture after Americanization, but it's going to have a hard time competing with the Cubans.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Cuba and tourism

there is a pretty cool article in the Feb./02 issue of Nat. Geographic about diving and the reefs around Cuba. you might be able to find it on their website.

it also briefly touches on their plans for tourism over a 5 year span and the environmental controls regarding all this development. yeah, yeah, yeah, i know it's just government spin but surely it is as credible as the "Pretzel Logic" coming from Washington these days.

mob

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Re: Cuba booming... Good points, Caral. . .

Caral said:
Hello.

Compare the success of the Buena Vista Social Club to any touring Dominican artist. Original, passionate Cuban music si. Son, si.

I don't know what may be left of Dominican culture after Americanization, but it's going to have a hard time competing with the Cubans.

Caral, you've also seen the 500 pounded, (lol)Cuba has the potential to deliver a knock blow to the tourism industry in the DR! The Buena Vista Social Club experience is pure GOLD! ! ! The possibilities for exploiting Cuban "cultura" are endless and the Cuban people are fairly clever at
making 'real' money and tourism is a genuine "cash cow" if one understands exactly how to go about it, re: Las Vegas, USA (originally a railroad sign post in the Nevada desert). My reference to the music video, "No Me Dejes de Querer" (a highly stylized music video by Gloria Estefan & company, 'Los Come Solos') is my way of pointing to this 'fact', North Americans know a hell of a lot more about Cuba than the DR. After all is said and done, DR = baseball and Merengue, Cuba = the sex appeal of 'Old Havana' as portrayed in the music and video I've mentioned. Cuba is a large island with tonns of development opportunities and the day that 'Little Havana' starts sending it's prodigy back to reclaim the mother land the DR will begin to feel 'the heat of the Miami money machine'.

With the total "bastardization" ( Mac World, if you will) of Santo Domingo and the tourist traps in the rest of the DR the scale is tipped towards Cuba in a most definite manner. . . IMHO. . .

regards.

. . . CES