american arrested in sosua for mistreating a haitiana

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=19564
apparently he is a long time resident of sosua. the police also found on him a gun he carried illegally. i recall that brito wanted tough punishment for people with illegal guns. here's a chance to make a good start on this.
the same article mentions a french man robbed. welcome to ciudad cruicerista.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sorry, thread title fixed. the article says "agredir" or attack/assault but then says it was verbal assault. if that is a crime i should have been arrested every day.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
How can the verbal assault be the lead story..... In other news Frenchman robbed of 10k. Its almost comical.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have noticed since my arrival that most people here introduce themselves with a first name only. When I say hello my first and last name still comes tumbling out of my mouth without a second thought. I have only met one Tim (no last name) in Sosua and am hoping this is not him. My Tim comes across as a nice guy and I enjoy our chats sitting at the Finish Line.

When one chooses to skirt the law, one has to accept the consequences of that decision no matter how inconvenient or unfair the results may seem. While still against the law, having an illegal pistol that stays in the drawer next to the bed as a defence of last resort is maybe, sort of, understandable. Walking down the street with an illegal pistol tucked into your pants is much more disturbing and is much harder to rationalize.

If guilty, and the DR wants him gone, then that's what will happen. You can sometimes get away with bending a law, but when you completely break it, there will be consequences when caught.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have noticed since my arrival that most people here introduce themselves with a first name only. When I say hello my first and last name still comes tumbling out of my mouth without a second thought. I have only met one Tim (no last name) in Sosua and am hoping this is not him. My Tim comes across as a nice guy and I enjoy our chats sitting at the Finish Line.

When one chooses to skirt the law, one has to accept the consequences of that decision no matter how inconvenient or unfair the results may seem. While still against the law, having an illegal pistol that stays in the drawer next to the bed as a defence of last resort is maybe, sort of, understandable. Walking down the street with an illegal pistol tucked into your pants is much more disturbing and is much harder to rationalize.

If guilty, and the DR wants him gone, then that's what will happen. You can sometimes get away with bending a law, but when you completely break it, there will be consequences when caught.

oh, it is easy to rationalize walking around with an illegal gun in your waits in the DR. very easy. what is hard is justifying it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is possible the gun was planted because he would not pay the police who arrested him for a horrible crime of badmouthing "la dama".

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
No excuse for carrying an illegal gun, especially if not a Dominican citizen. I wonder if a gringo with residency carrying an illegal gun can be deported?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
it is possible the gun was planted because he would not pay the police who arrested him for a horrible crime of badmouthing "la dama".

No chance. Guns are very expensive here and no cop would give one up for this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No chance. Guns are very expensive here and no cop would give one up for this.

I was going to agree with you, but then I realized that if the gun was planted it was just going to be "on loan" to Tim for a short time.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No excuse for carrying an illegal gun, especially if not a Dominican citizen. I wonder if a gringo with residency carrying an illegal gun can be deported?

Residency can be rescinded if convicted of a serious crime. I assume this would be a precursor to deportation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will keep an eye on this, let's see if the press will do any follow up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Residency can be rescinded if convicted of a serious crime. I assume this would be a precursor to deportation.

Correct and even if not deported immediately, renewing residency means you must have a clean police report. It would be very unlikely your residency would be renewed if you had a conviction for an illegal weapon.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I was talking to a friend in Sosua who knows the guy. It was a bb gun. He got a fine and was released. End of story.