Snow bird visa?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now that the DR has some deportations happening over lack of documents and the carrying of proper documents is being enforced like never before, has anything been done regarding visas to handle snow birds?
People that come down to escape winter who may rent or visit their own property for 3 to 6 months and currently had to pay the exit fines are the group about which I mean.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm still waiting and watching for the official site in Ottawa. So far nada http://www.drembassy.org/

Me too, I hope they announce something soon.

All these people being stopped in their cars and on buses and being asked for cedula has me a little concerned, we'll be there 4 months next trip. Guess I have to carry around my passport copy and our marriage certificate. :(

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
As far as I know it they still have to just pay the fine on exit. I haven't heard of any alternative yet.

Jan 9, 2004
Me too, I hope they announce something soon.

All these people being stopped in their cars and on buses and being asked for cedula has me a little concerned, we'll be there 4 months next trip. Guess I have to carry around my passport copy and our marriage certificate. :(

Checking those who appear to be non-dominican, but not appearing to be Haitian, is likely to be the DR's way of assuaging the international community that they are not using the new law as a pre-text to deport only Haitians improperly residing in the country. Expect it to continue.....so...

If you choose not to carry a passport and only a copy, you might want to also carry a copy of the stamped page from your date of entry. While this may not help those who have overstayed the tourist card......it may well reduce the hassle for those driving....who are within the legal time allowed....speaking for those of us who are regularly in country.....but within the time allowed by the tourist card. One less hassle as I face the Fri/Sat. usual police checkpoint panhandling in Moca.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Now that the DR has some deportations happening over lack of documents and the carrying of proper documents is being enforced like never before, has anything been done regarding visas to handle snow birds?

It would probably take a couple of Canadian grandmas getting deported with some bad press following it before the embassies get off their ass and start pressing DR gov for snowbird visas. Not holding my breath.

Jan 9, 2004
People that come down to escape winter who may rent or visit their own property for 3 to 6 months and currently had to pay the exit fines are the group about which I mean.

While that makes perfect sense it might likely require a new special class of visa....with the varying bureaucratic headaches that may entail.

A simpler solution seems to be an expansion of the tourist card to include a pay upfront option depending on length of stay (within limits set by the government) The country gets their money upfront and the snowbirds can enjoy their time there without fear.

Given the new law involving the possible deportation of those not in compliance....an extended tourist card valid for up to 6 months might be a more viable option.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree on the prepaid Visa time. At least do something, because right now which is paying an overstay fine when exiting, makes NO sense within the context of the laws being enforced now.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree on the prepaid Visa time. At least do something, because right now which is paying an overstay fine when exiting, makes NO sense within the context of the laws being enforced now.

Yup. And a lot easier to carry around a dated pre-paid visa receipt than passport/marriage license/etc. A nice side benefit might be that if they do issue the long term [up to 6 month] visas, it might mean we can drive legally the full time we're there. As it is now, I stop driving after 90 days [some say it's 30!] and then Mr. AE goes into what he calls "Driving Miss Daisy" mode.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
While that makes perfect sense it might likely require a new special class of visa....with the varying bureaucratic headaches that may entail.

A simpler solution seems to be an expansion of the tourist card to include a pay upfront option depending on length of stay (within limits set by the government) The country gets their money upfront and the snowbirds can enjoy their time there without fear.

Given the new law involving the possible deportation of those not in compliance....an extended tourist card valid for up to 6 months might be a more viable option.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The money up front certainly would be more LOGICAL, than trying to catch people when they leave.. many of course dont pay the exit Fine for overstay.. or Bribe a person upon exit to pay less or nothing at all.

But the HUGE thing is it puts $ in their hands up front, how can you possibly beat that..
Plus the visitor may leave early and they still keep the money..
they cant lose.

so Let me see, a customer who pays me CASH up front,, or a customer who pays me Net 90, or 120.. maybe not at all.
thats a tough one, which one should i pick.. ?

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
more than logical argument, it allows the visitor to show a legal document for the visit.........

as opposed to dancing around why you are here after the 30 day tourist card expiry.

Might be the only way to control longer term visitors (for lack of a better categorization)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The hassle of having the "correct documents", driving license issues, exit fines, among other things together with the enforcement of existing laws need to be addressed and reconciled. .

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think it is absolutely fair enough to have the new immigration policy in place by the government, in almost all other countries you can't just stay on as long as you want after your visa expires and then pay a pitiful fee on exit.

But it is just amazing that they don't have a proper longer term visitor visa in place (like most other countries), this to me is total lack of co-ordination and probably not understanding how to run the immigration of a popular tourist island, perhaps you can reflect on other government policies being similar !

The other sign of the coin is may be that there is so much of these overstay fees that are going around filling up certain pockets that the owners of those pockets worried that longer visitor visas will deny them the earnings and hence discourage any action towards it.

Only time would tell how many people will be put off with all these shenanigans and ID checks and so on - perhaps they don't want us here any more, we have overstayed our welcome !

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Someone said a few days ago that tourist card is now 60 days not that it helps snowbirds that much. I will find out when I come back into the DR on Fri if the tourist card is longer now.

Until I see it on an official page in writing signed in blood I'm not taking any he said, she said they said. :)

Aug 31, 2011
I have a ONE YEAR carnet - No resident Business Visa. It's a plastic card from the Immigration office... do i have to carry my passport too?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hmmmm....

Seems the DR already allows a tourist to extend a tourist card (not sure where/how....perhaps a payment at Banreservas) but the initial card is only 30 days;

http://www.dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica/en/about/Paginas/default.aspx

If such is the case....then there really is no excuse if you overstay and get hassled.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The only thing I have ever read and not confirmed is that a tourist card can be extended once and only once for another 30 days by going to the Migracion office IN SANTO DOMINGO.

As I mentioned before, there need to be some changes made.

Jan 9, 2004
The only thing I have ever read and not confirmed is that a tourist card can be extended once and only once for another 30 days by going to the Migracion office IN SANTO DOMINGO.

As I mentioned before, there need to be some changes made.

Perhaps a call to migracion can clear up the matter...because the site indicates the fee for an extension is based on length of stay.....sort of implying a period greater than just another 30 days.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2