Another dog poisoned in Lomas Mironas

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Late this afternoon. Folks - keep your "babies" safe - and ALWAYS ALWAYS within your own property. I would recommend never even walking your "babies" in this neighbourhood.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Don't let the facts get in the way

I saw this dog often. Just as often it was loose and unattended outside it's home property. Nice looking dog. Always struck me that it looked kind of sad. I developed a soft spot for her (I think it was a female).

The dog passed away shortly after 4:30 pm this afternoon. Without a necropsy, we'll never know for sure, but I find it hard to believe that anyone living in the vicinity would deliberately poison this dog. On the public side of its fence I never saw any indication of aggression nor did she ever bark at me when I passed. On her side of the fence with her pack of 3 or 4 others dogs of various breeds, lots of barking.

A little bit of amateur detective work after all the commotion abated, revealed a pair of plastic garbage bags a few doors down the street that had been ripped open. The resident at that address is recovering from eye surgery and inside one of the bags were several bottles of used medication and other medical supply waste. If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, the poor dog got into something that it shouldn't have.

It's not garbage day today or tomorrow, so why this refuse was on the street I cannot say. It is all too easy to try and attribute to malice that which can be easily explained by stupidity. This type of material has no business being placed in a location where an animal can get to it. It needs to be in a garbage can with a lid that does not come off easily and only placed out a few hours before the garbage truck comes by.

It also goes without saying that if this poor dog had been confined to its own property, it would not have had the opportunity to encounter the myriad of hazards that we all know exist in this country. The least of which are cars that don't brake for people so will never do so for a dog that runs in front of them.

I cannot find cause to believe that any of the neighbours in the vicinity of this dog deliberately brought about its death. Diagonally across the street are two avid dog lovers, next door has two dogs of their own, on the other side of them is a nice old lady and down the street is someone we all know who works tirelessly to help dogs and cats here on the north coast.

Haters will hate and often jump to conclusions that they have no ability to substantiate. In this case, it would appear that a pet that got loose and was unsupervised, poisoned itself eating garbage that probably should not have been so accessible.

This sad outcome looks to have been completely preventable.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A planned break in at this property is very unlikely. It is centrally located within a gated community, with fairly on the ball armed security onsite. Access to the community is restricted at the front gate and any ladrones would need to traverse quite a distance in the open just to reach the property - they would be seen.

The dogs do have a reputation to bark a lot as they seem to be left outside the house all day while the occupants are away at work. The annoyance factor would probably be confined to those neighbours located in close proximity and as explained in my previous post, none of these people strikes me as being the type to undertake this type of retribution over noise.

We do have a good number of cane toads hopping about the community but at that time of day, most toads are still in their holes.

You're right, we'll never know for sure. Occam's Razor and all that...

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i think the best bet is to train the dogs to only bark when someone is in the yard and eat food that they know comes from owners. when im there at midnight dogs bark like there day just started and i guess people might get annoyed.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
dom poisen dogs for all reasons....cant be figured out.. thieves neighbors, ex employees jealous lover.ex..of course...barking all we know is its been poisened p.s. its more than we know of our dom g.f's..lol/// in fact we probably kno where they been but hats their life///:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What more can I say? I wanted to offer what I thought was a more plausible explanation for the tragic event today. If people wish to maintain that maladjusted individuals are running amok poisoning dogs in a gringo enclave, I can't change that. In this particular case, there is a much more logical explanation.

This is not a case where someone threw tainted food over a fence. A malevolent individual would have had to see the dog as it was moving about, prepare a snack, catch up to the dog, get close enough to the dog to throw said snack and all the while not be seen by anyone in a densely pack neighbourhood, avoid being seen by roving security guards or being caught on any number of security cameras at 4:15 in the afternoon. This doesn't sound very likely to me, but I guess is not impossible. People will draw their own conclusions.

Regardless, I will miss this dog.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is this in the gated community owned by a German man on the right as you go up the road in Lomas Mironas? Or further up the hill?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The would be the sector of Lomas Mironas called The Gardens (Previously Phase I). Past that sector is a middle ground still called Phase II. After that there is a gate at the entrance of Phase III at the top end of the Lomas Rd. which is where this event occurred. The various Phases operate as independent entities when it comes to infrastructure and security.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Cdn_Gringo you seem to know quite a lot regarding Tammy's untimely death due to poisoning last Saturday and, whilst your assumptions may be correct, can you cast any light on the poisoning of Harry belonging to the same owners which occurred the day after, i.e. Sunday, whilst the owner was at home and being particularly vigilant all day after the disaster which happened with Tammy on Saturday. At no point did Harry leave or go outside the property.

A poison kit was administered immediately to Harry and then he was taken to Dr Bob but, sadly, on Monday he died as a result of being poisoned by not one poison but a cocktail of poisons and I quote Dr Bob.

There is a murderer in Lomas Mironas for sure. If this person can cold bloodedly kill dogs, what else are they capable of?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I know that the community is proceeding with an investigation both internally and with the assistance of outside agencies. At a meeting of the community executive earlier this week these incidents were discussed. At the time of that that meeting, we had not been informed of the sad news regarding Harry. In fact I am learning of this for the first time tonight. My sympathies go out to the family.

I share the concern that there may be an ongoing issue and thus far if there was malicious intent involved, that intent appears to be specifically directed. At this point in time, it would not be appropriate to speculate or go into specific details of the investigation.

Many times, these are difficult situations to definitively resolve. The absence of toxicology reports and a necropsy often leaves a big information hole that is difficult to fill in. I thank you for the reference to Dr. Bob. I will ensure that this information makes it to the attention of those who are pursuing this matter.

Once could be an accident, twice could be something very different. I only know what I have been told and all that I have been told is speculative and obviously is not yet a complete accounting. There is another meeting in a few days and this matter will be revisited until we have gone as far as we can. When I know something definitive and I am able, I will post more.

Animal lover

Aug 28, 2015
Not murder? Anytime a life is taken maliciously it is murder. If a person is capable of taking a life of an innocent animal they are capable of much more!
Poisoning is illegal and steps need to be taken to make sure this does not happen again.
If this is ignored and not taken seriously the accusations flying around will start a snowball effect to the community.

Animal lover

Aug 28, 2015
I am still waiting for a meeting of the community and the animal groups in the area to educate and stop this from happening again.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
That certainly is a plausible possibility. In any one particular case we can only speculate, none of us knows for sure. However, speaking in general it is widely accepted that the vast majority of poisonings are done by thieves wishing to remove an obstacle to their plans. Cats are poisoned as they are thought to carry diseases. Dominicans are well aware of this to the point that some of them try to train their dogs not to eat anything not given to them by their owner.

Who came up with this, now it seems to be general opinion. I figure preparation for a burglary is highly unlikely on a private property. Maybe a commercial burglary.
This thread should just be a sticky as they are identical, just different dogs!

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Not murder? Anytime a life is taken maliciously it is murder.

Yes, not murder! It's only murder if you kill a human and this should also not be used wrongfully.
There is still a huge difference between those two, not only speaking from a a legal point of view.

We are still talking about a dog, it should not be put on the same level like someone taking a human life.

Animal lover

Aug 28, 2015
Lol your definition and mine are different. Can't believe you are bent about the word murder being used then not more upset
about a life being taken. All life has value and a reason for existing. All life has feeling and souls. All life feels pain and suffering.
Poisoning is a horrific way to die!
Maybe you will agree that the individual who did this has no soul and therefore could murder a human with no remorse.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I am still waiting for a meeting of the community and the animal groups in the area to educate and stop this from happening again.

Educating those who know everything is difficult. The only kind of education that appears to sink in is consequence. Once you can make examples of those doing this then the people might understand that it's not acceptable, until then, things will carry on as usual.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
General community meetings are not usually that well attended by owners. Many owners are not here at this time, some of the tenants tend not to be overly involved or concerned (not all, but some).

At this time a general meeting without anything of substance to pass on other than this is what has happened, that we don't know how, why or who, probably wouldn't be all that productive or contribute much in the way of a solution or offer peace of mind.

Of course we all would like to have confidence that our pets are safe. Until we are sure of exactly what has happened, who (if anyone) did or did not do something, can positively identify who did what, our available responses to questions and concerns are limited.

Fuelling emotions, speculations in the absence of evidence and facts will do more harm than good at this point I suspect. Anyone in the community who has a suspicion that they would like to have passed on to the authorities already knows who they may contact to relay such information and are encouraged to do so. We are looking at all possibilities and those that appear to be plausible or at least possible are being given additional consideration and where warranted forwarded to the authorities.

If a lynch mob is under consideration, I wish to go on record as saying, "I didn't do it, I don't know who did and and I cannot say with 100% certainty that I even know exactly what happened. Apart from the events themselves, I have heard or seen nothing that I can use to come to any conclusions. I do hope that this changes soon. Like everyone else, I may have to eventually accept that the complete "truth" may not become clear.