Hello I'm new to this site

RICHIEUSMC

Aug 25, 2015
I currently live in Orlando Florida and want to relocate to Dominican Republic, I have been trying to get a job at
the US embassy but I keep running into only " family members can apply for these open positions".. can someone explain why ? I'm a US veteran with a service connected disability..

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I currently live in Orlando Florida and want to relocate to Dominican Republic, I have been trying to get a job at
the US embassy but I keep running into only " family members can apply for these open positions".. can someone explain why ? I'm a US veteran with a service connected disability..

First, welcome to DR1.

Second, thank you for your service.

I hope someone will come along who can at least point you in the right direction. Are you bilingual? Most Embassy jobs require it.

Jul 28, 2014
He wants to get a job with the US Embassy in Santo Domingo.

I don't think anyone here can answer his question though.

A.E. I realize what he wants, but as I stated, wanting to know terms of an American government job (regardless that its in the R.D.) still does not seem R.D. related?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
some of the jobs at the Embassy are reserved for "trailing" spouses -those whose partners are here at OTHER Embassy jobs or peace corps or whatever.

You will see that the pay for members of household is about 4 times what it will be for an "ordinary resident" http://photos.state.gov/libraries/dominicanrepublic/66631/hro/infoassistant.pdf which is what you will be.

As another poster said - fluent Spanish is a must.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I know a couple former US military guys, I say former as in no longer active, (once a marine always a marine) who live very comfortable lives in Sosua on disability checks they receive every month from Uncle Sam. It can be done.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013

Why move to the DR? You already live in the Sun State!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I know a couple former US military guys, I say former as in no longer active, (once a marine always a marine) who live very comfortable lives in Sosua on disability checks they receive every month from Uncle Sam. It can be done.

It depends entirely on the percentage awarded. At 80%, mine comes out to $1550/month. Doubt I could survive on that in the DR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't you get Social Security as well???????
If you don't go check it out.
I,my wife, plus my children get both.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Don't you get Social Security as well???????
If you don't go check it out.
I,my wife, plus my children get both.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

In two more years I'll be eligible. THEN, I'll be ballin. Vet disability, SS benefits, Mil pension, and Gov't retirement. God is good.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since you have VA disability, you MAY qualify for "SSI' disability as well, if you haven't checked that out yet.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC