a call for huelga in POP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://www.citysantiago.com/2015/08...-48-horas-comunidad-puerto-plata#.VdyKFfZViko

various organizations announced huelga from wednesday morning (26th of august) to friday. don't plan any trips to santiago and further using the main road, it may not be passable as transport unions often block the road. likely there will be no public transport running and many shops will be closed.

so stock on your booze today and don't wander around hot barrios.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why are they striking ?????

basically, they are crossed that ladronorte is connecting amber cove to 24/7 power knowing that the port will fork out expensive electricity bill. at the same time padres de familia, who never paid a power bill in their lives will not have a 24/7, heavily subsidized electricity. totally unfair.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Yes, please update.. I have to go to Santiago from POP both Thursday and Friday due to doctor appointments!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, please update.. I have to go to Santiago from POP both Thursday and Friday due to doctor appointments!

That would not be wise with those people shutting down the road. Hopefully the PN will take care of them, but risky if they do not.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
That would not be wise with those people shutting down the road. Hopefully the PN will take care of them, but risky if they do not.

I know, considering alternate route through the (bad) back roads or leaving POP at 5:00am! Hopefully we will get a better idea tomorrow as we are going to Santiago only Thursday. Fingers crossed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last huelga on the man road paralized traffic only for few hours. enough to be a major PITA. one can take a backroad from san marcos that bypasses maimon and goes to imbert or even take campo roads all the way to villa gonzalez but it is more of an adventure trip and i would not advise to use it as an alternative.

anyways, i will keep you guys posted.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a bit more: http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=19652

the picture shows one lane blocked by the trucks. the article does not mention paralyzing the transit altogether so i assume the road is passable. i'd still say it would be better to leave at least one hour earlier if one needs to go to santiago. also bear in mind ongoing road works slowing the traffic between cofresi and maimon, adding up about 30-60 more minutes to travel time (depending on time of the day).

there is increased military and police presence in the area as well.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Planning to leave at 5:30 for appointment in santiago at 09:00. There should be enough time!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
more than plenty. even leaving at 6 should give you lots of time. bear in mind that not much happens on time anyways.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I drove to Santiago and back, from Cofresi, yesterday (Tuesday) without any problems. The construction project in Maimon is a pretty important politically to get done, so some huelga is going to take back seat to progress and get shut down pretty hard, pretty fast, IMO.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Non event. Nobody on the road at 6:00 am. Breezed through Maimon without seeing anything although hubby said he saw burned tires and broken glass on the side of the road. Came back at 5:30pm through Maimon and home in Costambar at 5:50pm. Construction of road is progressing nicely!