Who has rights of citizenship?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Under the new Constitution,is it only children born to Dominican citizens who have rights of citizenship?

I read this article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ediberto-roman/anti-immigration-rhetoric_b_8025280.html and was going to comment that children of LEGAL residents also had birthright citizenship - but then went back to the Constitution

Dominicans [feminine] and Dominicans [masculine] are:
1. The sons and daughters of a Dominican mother or father;
2. Those who enjoy the Dominican nationality before the entry into effect of
this Constitution
3. The persons born in the national territory, with the exception of the sons
and daughters of foreign members of diplomatic and consular delegations,
and of foreigners in transit or residing illegally in the Dominican territory.
Any foreigner [masculine] or foreigner [feminine] defined as such in the
Dominican laws is considered a person in transit;
4. Those born abroad, of Dominican father or mother, notwithstanding having
acquired, by place of birth, a different nationality from that of their parents.
Once having reached the age of eighteen years, they can express their will,
before the competent authority, to assume the double nationality or
renounce one of them;
constituteproject.org PDF generated: 11 Mar 2015, 16:25
Dominican Republic 2010 Page 18
5. Those who contract matrimony with a Dominican [masculine] or Dominican
[feminine], as long as opting for the nationality of his or her spouse and
meet the requirements established by the law;
6. The direct descendants of Dominicans resident abroad;
7. Naturalized persons, in accordance with the conditions and formalities
required by law.
https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/Dominican_Republic_2010.pdf

and the phrase "any foreigner is deemed in transit" seems to imply that no matter WHAT the immigration status of the parents, the child will not have Dominican citizenship rights if the parents are not
Dominican by birth or naturalization.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So a male not from DR can mary a female just for residency ?

This thread is about citizenship, not residency.

You do need residency first, if married to a Dominican, before you can apply for citizenship. None of it is automatic.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Can not believe that anyone can believe much in the Huffington Post . I am a Dominican citizen although not born here and without Dominican parents, actually I am an orphan now . Just simply went through the process which is not difficult with a lawyer , just takes quite a few years . Very happy to always hear and sing the Dominican national hymn and to wave the flag and take the DR ,warts and all .

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The question I have is only tangential to the article in the Huffington Post ..

It is about the NEW constitution -- and the NEW interpretation.. I had one French friend who applied for citizenship, but there was simply no action on his case for 5 years.

How is it, Bob Saunders, that you can just say that those foreigners with residency are not considered in transit? When the constitution itself says that all foreigners are considered "in transit" ?

I have read in more than one posting about the law now being simply "jus sanguinis" -- that a child must have at least one Dominican parent to be considered Dominican.

thanks for moving it to Legal, AE,, it would be good to get an answer from Sr Guzman.

(I doubt that there are very many immigrants that this will apply to - since most will have the nationality of their home country - a US parent - well, a mother gives the citizenship automatically but a US father must prove paternity and sign papers commiting to support)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The question I have is only tangential to the article in the Huffington Post ..

It is about the NEW constitution -- and the NEW interpretation.. I had one French friend who applied for citizenship, but there was simply no action on his case for 5 years.

How is it, Bob Saunders, that you can just say that those foreigners with residency are not considered in transit? When the constitution itself says that all foreigners are considered "in transit" ?

I have read in more than one posting about the law now being simply "jus sanguinis" -- that a child must have at least one Dominican parent to be considered Dominican.

thanks for moving it to Legal, AE,, it would be good to get an answer from Sr Guzman.

(I doubt that there are very many immigrants that this will apply to - since most will have the nationality of their home country - a US parent - well, a mother gives the citizenship automatically but a US father must prove paternity and sign papers commiting to support)

Perhaps you can point out where it says in the constitution that all foreigners are considered in transit. I believe you'll searching forever to find that. Aticulo 18.3 is very specific. I've read through Articles 18 through 20, and there is no place where it says all foreigners are considered in transit.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If either parent is a legal resident and in possession of a cedula then the child is also Dominican.

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have had Dominican residency for 50+ years..my wife was Dominican. Our four children were Dominican and US citizens.

The key point is that anyone (with the normal diplomatic exceptions) without residency is defined as "in transit" and therefore
"jus solis" does not apply. This does not deprive them of any citizenship--since they will have the citizenship of their parents.

There is a lot of debate now in the US regarding the 14th Amendment and its implications...and a lot of thinkers are moving towards the
Dominican position....how's that for 'new' thinking???

Cordially,

HB

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes , times have changed and many countries are looking at the avalanche of unregistered and illegal foreign people living on their soil. It is impossible for many economies to cope with such an increase in people requiring government assistance and also impossible on a personal front for many citizens to see their home country virtually invaded by a very different sort of person than they are used to.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

What you posted above MA, states that the children of legal residents (who are NOT in Transit) are DR citizens.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If your parents has a legal status in the Dominican Republic you have the right to get the Dominican Citizenship.

Since 1929 all constitutions said that all sons or daugthers of people in transit did not have the rights to Dominican citizenship, so all people that was living here and do not have a legal status was considered in transit.

Thats why was missunderstood that Dominican Republic was trying to strip the citizenship to all people born from ilegals here, when this clarify that they never had that rights to have it. Some of this people got Dominican citizenship without the rightsto have it.

Do not make sense that our constitution denied the citizenship to the people that has the permition to transit in the Dominican Republic and will grant automatic citizenship to those people that came into the country without any permition braking all the rules.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Perhaps you can point out where it says in the constitution that all foreigners are considered in transit. I believe you'll searching forever to find that. Aticulo 18.3 is very specific. I've read through Articles 18 through 20, and there is no place where it says all foreigners are considered in transit.

the words in question are Article 12 number 3

3) Las personas nacidas en territorio nacional, con excepci?n de los hijos e hijas de extranjeros miembros de legaciones diplom?ticas y consulares, de extranjeros que se hallen en tr?nsito o residan ilegalmente en territorio dominicano. Se considera persona en tr?nsito a toda extranjera o extranjero definido como tal en las leyes dominicanas;

which is translated as
https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/Dominican_Republic_2010.pdf

The persons born in the national territory, with the exception of the sons

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

What you posted above MA, states that the children of legal residents (who are NOT in Transit) are DR citizens.

sorry - maybe it is not enough coffee..

or maybe the translation is off..

but this, to me, says that any "foreigner" defined as a foreigner is considered a person in transit.

So having a "no vota" cedula - even as a permanent resident, would that not define you as a "foreigner" and hence, "in transit"?

It seems to me that only CITIZENSHIP of a parent will convey citizenship to the chldren.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Here is some of the coverage of this issue in Reuters

"The September 23 court ruling retroactively denies Dominican nationality to anyone born after 1929 who does not have at least one parent of Dominican blood, under a constitutional clause declaring all others to be either in the country illegally or "in transit"." http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/12/us-dominicanrepublic-citizenship-idUSBRE99B01Z20131012

Most people here talk about "legal status" -- and having a cedula for the parents. But internationally, it seems that the interpretation is that one parent must be "Dominican"

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
please just give it up , my dear ... a child from two Dominicans, no matter where it is born can automatically get citizenship, a Frenchman or any other foreigner has to go through the proper process of 5 years or more to get citizenship and along the way he will have a tarjeta de residencia and a cedula . and do not worry about the various definitions of in transit