Hotels in Sosua

ekammin

Jan 13, 2002
My wife and I are planning to take our first trip to the DR, probably in February or March. Rather that take an all-inclusive "package" trip, we think we might do better by purchasing the air fare separately, and staying in one of the small hotels in Sosua that we see mentioned on the Internet.

Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with any of these hotels? We would appreciate any recommendations of ones to consider, or alternatively, to avoid.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Condos Dominicano are nice little condo units a few minutes walk from the beach and from "downtown", they have kitchens too. They do have a website, not sure what it is, but it is in the archives. My wife and I stay there from time to time, and our friends from Canada stay there yearly. Nice pool area, very clean.

Waterfront hotel is alright, great location but the rooms we looked at are smaaaaaaaaaaaall. Hot tub right on the cliffs of the ocean, very much "water front"...but there is no beach. You have to walk to Sosua beach, just minutes away.

Pierre Giorgio's is also right on the cliffs, just a bit closer than the Waterfront...Very nice rooms, very nice location.

Depends on what you want to spend...and you may also want to look at Cabarete.

marc

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
For the moment i stay at Hot. Don Andres, very friendly, very central in town, and inexpensive. A very good choice. Hotel Yaroa should also be a good alternatice.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
CHECK OUT HOTEL TROPIX

Tropix is only ten rooms, some are suites. It is quiet and inexpensive, close to shopping, restaurants, night life and the beach. There is a pool, honor bar, lovely tropical gardens, fridge in every room, overhead fans or a/c and friendly staff. Sylvie Papernik who owns Tropix was born in Sosua; she speaks English, German, Spanish and Dutch. you can phone her at 809-571-2291 or email
info@tropixhotel.com

The web site is www.tropixhotel.com

RayJ

Jan 2, 2002
Europa

Big rooms, nice beds, tv, coffee maker , refrigerator, air, pool, and good restaurant, ( as long as Federico is still there ).

On the main drag but down towards the end. mins walking distance from everything. 5 - 10 mins walk to the beach. But you can moto - concho to that.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Question for Richard

Richard

You keep recommending the TROPIX...have you stayed there on a trip, or do you know the hotel through the owner as a friend of yours when you lived here?

Just curious as we live just up the hill from there and it is very unassuming from the street...It is a place that you would recommend to your parents, for example, if they were coming to a third world country for the first time and were counting on a safe spot as a "home base"?

Genuinely curious, as I have never walked into the place and asked to look around....perhaps I should.

Let me know
marc

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Hi Marc. Yes I have stayed at Tropix on a regular basis for many years and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends and family (my mother who is quite elderly) included. For anyone coming for thefirst time to Sosua it would be ideal. Much of the clientelle is repeat and many missionary groups and Peace Corps Volunteers stay there regularly Yes, I have known Sylvie since the days when I lived in Sosua and her reputation in Sosua amongst the ex-pat population many of whom have stayed there during transition periods (i.e. having a house built or looking for permanent digs) is excellent. Take a walk up the driveway, look around the place, meet Sylvie and I believe you too will most likely be impressed.

Matt Juba

Jan 12, 2002
Tropix

I just returned one week ago from a two week stay at the Tropix. With me was my family (three teenagers) and two other families, including teenagers and one grandparent. Everyone had a blast. Incidentally, last year we had two grandparents, one of whom was in her 80's. They also had fum.

I agree that from the road it doesn't look too imposing but it's not an imposing place. It is a very sheltered and quiet enclave. A supermarket is just a block and a half away, next to the Policia Nacional Station. The beach is a ten minute walk and there are a number of restaurants for all budgets nearby.

It's not luxury by any means, but it is safe, quiet and relaxing. As you can see I have brought grandparents here and they enjoyed.

gjmookie

Jan 8, 2002
HOTELS IN SOSUA

Just to add to your confusion - we have stayed at PierGiorgio's for three years. It is a small (50 room) hotel set on a cliff overlooking the ocean. I had always wanted to stay in a place that was on the beach, but the pluses to this hotel are many and it has always been pleasant and romantic. We rather enjoy the short 5 minute walk to the beach each day.

The hotel has a pool (small, but nice) and they have an area to lay in the sun, which overlooks the ocean with just a breathtaking view. You can descend down a ladder to the water from there and swim and snorkel.

The beach is very nice, calm, and good for snokeling. Probably not the best snorkeling, but fun to paddle around. You see a good variety of fish. There are many vendors on the beach - not to be alarmed - they are just making a living. We have made friends with some of the people who run the shops and restaurants and if you frequent the same place they will give you excellent service. Beach boys will get you anything you want - from pina coladas to sun tan oil. Who could ask for more!?

With the price of the room you get breakfast each morning, beach chairs, and towels. This is probably one of the more expensive hotels at about $90-115 a night but it is all in what you want out of your vacation. And, as you, we were looking for non all-inclusive.

We eat around each evening and enjoyed every restaurant we have eaten at and we have eaten at a lot of them.

From Sosua we were able to go to Puerto Plata one way and Cabarete the other. Puerto Plata is getting to be a bigger, busier city and it is far more relaxing to go to Cabarete and explore Sosua.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Thanks Matt and richard

Thanks for the feedback, I think i will go check it out sometime soon. I am quite familiar with the area, Matt, as I live just up the road from the hotel. Good spot, to be sure.

take care
marc

grantc

Jan 2, 2002
As Marc mentioned in the first post Condos Dominicano Is a great place to stay. A small 20 apartment complex with a fair sized pool in the center. If it is just you and your wife then the studio apartment will be plenty. You have definitely made the right choice to avoid the all-inclusives. Sousa has numerous great restaurants in all price ranges. You also have a small kitchen in your apartment if you want to do a little cooking yourself.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Condos Dominicano

Thanks for the plugs guys.
www.condosdominicano.com : it's up and running however we are in the process of making some changes. If you have any problems, try our other site www.condo4u.net Some of the information is oudated but will give you a general idea.

manuel

Feb 25, 2002
If you haven't gone already, look into the piergiorgio hotel. Ask for a third floor room, overlooking the bay. You won't be disappointed.