Beware- Rampant Crime and Police Shakedowns confront tourists visiting Santo Domingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Sad to report that although continued efforts to improve DR's image as a safe -worry free tourist destination are being undermined by continued reports of rampant crime and police shakedowns. Recently a woman had her carry on bag stolen at of all places the "Finest" hotel in Santo Domingo-Nicolas de Ovando to the tune of a $7,000.00 US loss. Many other people have had their credit card information used for unauthorized purchases after having spent time in DR. Another man who tipped a shoe shine boy was then followed by this boy and stopped by the police. Because he had a viagara pill on him at the time he was accused of soliciting the underage boy for sex and forced to pay the police to release him. Last year an american tourist, Van Teasly was robbed and murdered in his apartment. Robbery was the motive. When is the DR's image going to really improve? When will we see tangible results?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Since this has been posted in the Santo Domingo section, I will make the observation that following recent announcements about increasing security, I have noticed a distinct increase in police with military personnel patrolling the streets in the capital.

I am still able to walk the streets in the area that I live in confidence.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Since this has been posted in the Santo Domingo section, I will make the observation that following recent announcements about increasing security, I have noticed a distinct increase in police with military personnel patrolling the streets in the capital.

I am still able to walk the streets in the area that I live in confidence.

You are obviously not a tourist.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
You are obviously not a tourist.

Thank you for the dislike when stating a fact.

Correct but 70% of tourists head for Punta Cana/Bavaro, and a small percentage visit Santo Domingo and stay in ZC where there are plenty of tourist police and visit the sites and restaurants in comparative safety.

As far as theft at hotels is concerned, it is a nightmare for hotel management, and I have yet to see a hotel of whatever brand not putting something in print, that the responsibility for the safe keeping of personal possessions is that of the guest. Carrying 7k in cash is somewhat stupid in the days of ATM's don't you think? And especially in a country where a worker earns say 350US per month.

And I am not talking about those who come here looking for other nocturnal activities where the risk increases exponentially due to movement at night with alcohol. They would face the same risks in whatever city they visit worldwide.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

Correct but 70% of tourists head for Punta Cana/Bavaro, and a small percentage visit Santo Domingo and stay in ZC where there are plenty of tourist police and visit the sites and restaurants in comparative safety.

As far as theft at hotels is concerned, it is a nightmare for hotel management, and I have yet to see a hotel of whatever brand not putting something in print, that the responsibility for the safe keeping of personal possessions is that of the guest. Carrying 7k in cash is somewhat stupid in the days of ATM's don't you think? And especially in a country where a worker earns say 350US per month.

And I am not talking about those who come here looking for other nocturnal activities where the risk increases exponentially due to movement at night with alcohol. They would face the same risks in whatever city they visit worldwide.

Can we please stop blaming the victim

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
things like this will happen and since we have computers with these news sites we will hear about it more often. like i said before dont carry anything that has more that 100 dollar worth of value

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
When one travels abroad as a tourist one should take the advice of your government or travel company.

As an example I copy below what the UK Foreign Office posts for visitors to DR:

Safety and security

Crime

The Dominican Republic is friendly and welcoming, but suffers from a high crime rate, ranging from opportunistic crime like bag-snatching and pick-pocketing, to violent crime.

There have been a number of incidents in Santo Domingo where foreigners have been mugged at gunpoint during the daytime while walking in residential districts. In January 2013 20 US visitors were mugged by armed attackers on the same street (Avenida Bolivar) in 2 related incidents. In an effort to address the crime problem in the capital, the Government has deployed troops on the streets to assist the police.

Take particular care in remote areas, especially at night. If you leave your hotel complex, don’t wear expensive jewellery or carry large amounts of cash or expensive items like cameras. Use a hotel safe whenever possible. Don’t leave your bags or other possessions on chairs or tables when sitting in outside restaurants or bars. If you’re attacked, don’t resist.

There have been several reports of passengers being stopped and robbed or assaulted when travelling from the airport ‘Las Americas’ in Santo Domingo early in the morning or late at night.

If you lose your passport or it is stolen, get a police report before contacting the British Embassy. The Tourist Police (POLITUR) can be contacted on the free telephone number 1-809-200-3500.

Find it hard to understand people who carry valuable possessions in a hand bag, that they would let any stranger handle that bag even in developed countries.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

a hotel cannot simply put up a sign that the guest is responsible for the safekeeping of his property in order to absolve itself from responsibility. the idea of responsibility is far more nuanced than that. the very first thing to know is that different states in the USA and provinces in Canada have different statutes, and different interpretations of responsibility.

if i leave 7000 dollars in my hotel room, and it is stolen by an employee of the hotel, the hotel is responsible, because he is their agent. since they operate under statutes of limited liability, they might not have to repay the full amount, but they might be importuned to pay a portion thereof. hotels might escape responsibility by saying that they are not on the hook if the guest did not use the strongbox, but that is only applicable if the theft was the act of a third party. even then, the hotel could be on the hook if it can be deemed that the hotel?s security measures were lax, and allowed a third party to commit a theft.

it is not a simple matter of putting up a sign saying they are not responsible for a theft of a guest?s property.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my fren, what is your reason for starting another fear mongering thread?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It is a nightmare for hotel management was the message and especially when someone has valuables in hand baggage and does not hang on to such valuables at all times or lock in a room safe provided as most of us would do.

Hotels, tourist representatives and tourist police can do little when the tourist ignores advice given about country and location and they become the focus of the victims criticism.

Eliminate the temptation when it comes to safe keeping of your valuables whether in hotel or out and about. Heed the advice given to tourists.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you are being out of character today. the dv8 we know and love revels in negative news.

there is negative news and "negative news". i may post recent crime stories, accompanied with links. i may post my own negative experiences in dominican establishments. but i do not pull out random past news from the web in order to start a brand new thread.

i question OP's motives here. first he started a thread about random review of a random hotel. now he brings that up again and throws in an old murder story a man who he describes as a "tourist" when in fact, he was a frequent and regular visitor, much like many posers here.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Let is see from the other side.. Insurance Holiday Fraud. Having worked for an insurance company you will be surprised how many people get robbed of expensive Iphones, Cash etc etc. People travel to third world countries where they daily pay is 1 USD but have a bag with 5000 USD.

Some will bring chicas to their hotel room and get robbed there and blame the country..

Santo Domingo is not Disney Land (where people also got robbed btw).. use your common sense

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
there is negative news and "negative news". i may post recent crime stories, accompanied with links. i may post my own negative experiences in dominican establishments. but i do not pull out random past news from the web in order to start a brand new thread.

i question OP's motives here. first he started a thread about random review of a random hotel. now he brings that up again and throws in an old murder story a man who he describes as a "tourist" when in fact, he was a frequent and regular visitor, much like many posers here.

There should also be a difference in the sex holiday tourist and the regular joe with family tourist..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Let is see from the other side.. Insurance Holiday Fraud. Having worked for an insurance company you will be surprised how many people get robbed of expensive Iphones, Cash etc etc. People travel to third world countries where they daily pay is 1 USD but have a bag with 5000 USD.

Some will bring chicas to their hotel room and get robbed there and blame the country..

Santo Domingo is not Disney Land (where people also got robbed btw).. use your common sense

having worked for an insurance company for 30 years, good luck with some of those theft of cash claims. normally speaking, any claims rep worth his salt will wear you out before you see a dime, if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.